-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Electronic Ignition Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 PM

Default Talk to me about your SDS CPI2 install (especially in an -8)

OK, so I've got a pile of avionics on hand, and I'm finalizing all my little black box layouts and getting shelves fabricated, all preparatory to starting to build harnesses with a vengeance. The one remaining box I don't have on hand is the CPI2 controller, so I'm looking to get that ordered.

Question #1: What did you go with for your coil locations, and how do you feel about your choice? Currently I'm leaning towards one magneto and one case mount. Any potential packaging issues with this setup I should be aware of?

Question #2: What did your harness lengths end up looking like? Ross suggested 7.5' for the crank sensor harness and 6.5' for the coil packs. Based on my routing in the cabin I expect about a 4.5' run to the firewall penetration on the lower left side. Do 3' and 2' sound reasonable for the run from the penetration to the FWF items?

Question #infinity: Any other things you ran into during your install you wish you'd thought of ahead of time?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:35 PM

Mounted one coil on the engine backbone near the back baffle and one on the right side of the engine cage. The latter "mount system" was comprised of 3 Adel clamps.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 09-22-2020, 09:48 PM

Iíve got one coil pack mounted in the right mag position running the bottom plugs and the other mounted on top of the engine running the top plugs. A bit of extra harness length is better than coming up an inch short. Iíd add a foot to whatever you measure. Iím a couple days work from my first engine start with the CPI-2. Iíll post a photo link when I have everything tidied up.
F1 Rocket #25
N14ZM "Dreamer"
Melboring, FL
Old 09-23-2020, 05:40 AM

Hey Philip,

My engine has a dual EM-5 setup and the coils are on the mag pads, IO-360-M1B. The kit had all the pre-made harnesses from Ross when I bought it. Any reason the CPI2 canít go on the mag pads too?
2020 dues paid
Old 09-23-2020, 11:34 AM

My preferred locations are one on top of the engine, one on the firewall for the installations I've done. Reasoning is to preserve maximum accessibility to the rear engine area for better maintenance accessibility.
Plan for the future...
Old 09-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
Hey Philip,

My engine has a dual EM-5 setup and the coils are on the mag pads, IO-360-M1B. The kit had all the pre-made harnesses from Ross when I bought it. Any reason the CPI2 canít go on the mag pads too?
My first inclination was to just go with mag pad mounts for both coils. Seeing some installs with one coil atop the case got me thinking about that. For one thing, the top plugs now only require a single small bundle through the baffles instead of four plug wires. For another, it would free up some space between the engine and firewall.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:19 AM

Default Wire terminals and wire length

I ask Ross if replacing the terminals on the CPU end of wires (shorten)was possible to get a " tidy" fit on the harness. He suggested the terminals were special enough that you probably do not have an acceptable crimper. So, I conclude one option is splicing the wires after assembly to tidy up the harness.
Clinton, IN
Old 09-24-2020, 12:34 PM

I suggest leaving some excess wiring between components & bundling them up neatly. Later servicing is always easier when you have a bit of slack in the harness, to maneuver the connectors without stressing the crimps. I think cutting & splicing is not a good idea, it compounds the potential for future points of failure.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:16 PM

Default Service loop

I’m with Ralph....I have about 12” of extra harness on my CPI2, and while I do have correct crimper, doing it upside down with the fuel selector in between my two herniated discs had me placing a nice service loop in place, specially since it gets a little busy with the backup battery, if installed. Call me lazy if you like, but I’d do it the same way again. I can’t say enough about their support, btw, and about 30 hours in, it’s flawless.

On coil mounting, I went with one on the engine(H2, one mag hole) and the other in the firewall recess usually used for prop gov (H2, n/a but I stalked anyway. It puts the coils close so routing is easy.
2011-2021 VAF contributor

Last edited by rjcthree : 09-25-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Also a good idea to keep a drip loop on stuff under the panel. Last thing you need is a high speed expressway for water to enter the magic boxes.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C