-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 PM

One of my friends here in Alabama advises to buy the hangar/location you want that includes an airplane. ��
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:41 AM

Talking Training

While you are searching for that RV-8 that is right for you make friends with people with a -6, -7 or -14 and go fly. Getting familiar with RVs from inside the aircraft will help your buying decision. Side by side RVs will serve this purpose better than sitting in the back of a -4 (if you are a smaller person) or an -8 without all the controls available.

You might go as far as completing transition training ahead of time so you can ferry your new plane home yourself after you complete the purchase.

Best of luck! I looked closely at five flying RVs and paid for two prebuys before I found the right one or me. Learn how to spot good workmanship and complete documentation. Get it all up to date before finalizing the purchase. Sellers are motivated to get it right. Check ops limits for aerobatic testing and the right wording for IFR, “if equipped” and you’ll be flying an RV before you know it.

PM if you have questions, there’s a ton of Resourses out there, it’s just a matter of finding them.

Launching from SC45
Old 09-17-2020, 08:12 AM

Depending on where you plan to live getting a hangar might be the long pole in the tent. Some places have wait list that are years long. Get that little detail taken care of now.

Call about insurance too. You might be surprised with the cost. You’re heavy jet time doesn’t help a lot with a small plane with no or little experience. You can get RV8 training from Bruce Bohannon (Flyalegend@gmail.com) in Houston area.
2020 dues paid
Old 09-17-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Just start looking

I looked for around a year before buying. I read lots of adds and called lots of sellers. It’s part of the learning process. I’m in the Northeast, but flew commercially to look at one in Montana, North Carolina and in Texas. You can’t be afraid to travel to see them and if necessary, walk away. I did pre-buys on all of them and learned a ton. Given the cost of the plane, the travel was short money, well spent and fun.

If you are buying, it’s unlikely you will find the perfect plane. The perfect plane is the one you build for yourself. Have a list of priorities and compromises. Other than going from a trike to conventional or fastback to standard, you can change most other things as you see fit (at a cost). Discount your price commensurately.

Insisting on 200hp may limit your selection. You can change/modify the engine later if you want. It’s more important to get a well build airframe, in my opinion.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 09-17-2020, 10:49 PM

Al, I agree on the transition training. I learned in tandem only in the AF and enjoyed flying from the back of the -8 (over the shoulder cross check, haha). If I have questions I'll definitely reach out, thanks!

Jeff, thanks for the advice on insurance. I've been looking at hangars, fortunately I have a few friends in the flying business.

Brian, concur on the traveling/pre-buy expenses... also, understand no perfect plane.

Thanks again all!

Last edited by Jradtke86 : 09-17-2020 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Names updated