Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM

Default Fold-Up

Slightly off topic (since you asked about bi-fold vs. hydraulic lift) but...

I went with an accordion-style door from FoldTite for my new hangar. The price was about half of what I would have paid for a bi-fold, and about a third of the bids I got for hydraulic. It was easy to install, takes about a minute to open, and works even when the power is out (it's 100% manual). It's also dirt simple, so if anything was to go wrong I can fix it myself with parts from the hardware store.

The only down side is that you lose a bit of clearance on either side, which may or may not be an issue depending on what all you're going to put in there. The opening on my building is 40' wide but the maximum clearance with the doors open is a bit over 37'. Not really a problem for an RV-6A.

RV-6A N101PR at 40XS
Open Flight Solutions - Maker Of FlightView EFIS
(VAF Supporter / Advertiser)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:04 AM

And looking good!
Some keen viewers will recognize the man lift. It has been all over the airfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssokol View Post
Slightly off topic (since you asked about bi-fold vs. hydraulic lift) but...

I went with an accordion-style door from FoldTite for my new hangar. The price was about half of what I would have paid for a bi-fold, and about a third of the bids I got for hydraulic. It was easy to install, takes about a minute to open, and works even when the power is out (it's 100% manual). It's also dirt simple, so if anything was to go wrong I can fix it myself with parts from the hardware store.

The only down side is that you lose a bit of clearance on either side, which may or may not be an issue depending on what all you're going to put in there. The opening on my building is 40' wide but the maximum clearance with the doors open is a bit over 37'. Not really a problem for an RV-6A.

RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM

i have a Wilson bi-fold on my hangar. It has the automatic latch system so you just push the button and the door goes up or down. Works great! A friend has a Schweiss that works very well too. I don't think he has the auto latch though.

Joe
Old 09-11-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Hangar doors

We design and supply the buildings. We have put in almost every hangar door out there.

I favor the Schweiss strap door. The main reason is it is very sturdy, great hinges, the straps last an incredibly long time and won't snap, straight forward to install and for ice and snow it is the way to go because it pull straight up. And one of the best things about it is once the door starts to move up the straps wrap on top of each other making the door move faster and they have the new auto latch that automatically pulls in and closes tight. The Schweiss engineering sheet we detail the buildings to is second to none. We have done many all over the US and the world and they fit!

A comment on bi-fold vs hydraulic; The bi-fold would be good anywhere. The hydraulic door, be careful, some of the older ones sold from companies that have gone under the hinges would rip off the wall - check your hinges if you have the door with a smaller black pump. With a hydraulic door when it opens the first 6" is pushing straight down at a tiny angle. And if you had any ice or snow the pressure has to go somewhere if the bottom seal froze often it will buckle the door at the end of the rams. One other thought on the hydraulic door is you can't park your plane of truck too close to the door because it needs a lot of swing to open and it will dent or flip whatever is in the way.

I like the Hi-fold they do a good job.

Wilson, be careful their system are not very automated and it takes a while for them to come through.

Higher Power, please first understand that I come from a perspective of detailing and supplying building where the door needs to fit and it must work well. So far we have had issue with every one of the higher power doors we have detailed. Understand we have sold and delivered 1,000's of buildings, not all hangars so it is not something new to us. Right now I have a bill for parts and labor on my desk for a higher power door problem that would not seal up for over $2,000. And that is after having the door companies (higher power) confirm and sign off on on the building design. I need to make a decision if we simply do not do their doors any longer - just say NO. But on this forum I have hear of many that like them and people call and say "they are all over our airport... So I don't know what to do.

We have done some of the slider style like Horton or Cool Air and seem fine but I think as an end user I does not seem that secure or airtight. But if it was a private airpark in a warmer climate I can see using that style door.

Norton is for very large rolling door and I think Wilson bought them or they bought Wilson. There are not that many companies that do the huge doors and from the building design perspective it is very different then a typical hangar.

There are some others, usually regional like Crown in the southeast and Trident down in FL.

When I used to go to tradeshows a lot of people I talk with want to build there own doors. Sure, there are a few hangar door parts suppliers out there now. Just be careful if you do a bi-fold that you have enough cables if that is how you are building your door. I have seen some doors where it is scary to walk under them and they sound scary to open. Sliding doors are very simple but people often don't take into account where the door will slide to. If you are opening the whole face of the building you need to building some sort of wings for the door to slide on.

My suggestion is if you are building a hangar you won't regret going quality. A saying I saw one time on a Canoga Cement Mixer was "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

Hope that helps, Thanks, Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings and FF kit, Thunderbolt 390, Hartzell C/S Blended Airfoil. Just need to finish... 90% left to go
Grateful to pay dues 21'

Old 09-11-2020, 12:31 PM

Decide before buying what you want to do for hangar insulation, heating, cooling and such.

What to look for:
- Are there bottom, top and side seals that will keep out critters and outside weather? Doors like Wilson also offer twin bottom seals for very cold climates. Critters in the hangar gets old.
- Can you put insulation on the inside of the door? Some doors have weight limits. I have a Wilson door and added 1” rigid foam insulation from Lowes using Liquid Nails. Very effective.
- Do you need professional installation? My Wilson door went up with the help of three neighbors. I did the external steel cladding myself.

Carl
Old 09-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Default Higher Power

We just had a 48’x16’ Higher Power Door with 12v DC backup power installed in our hangar. The door was the correct size but unfortunately, the rough opening on our building needed some modification. Somehow, the building manufacturer got the dimensions wrong even though I gave them to them and Higher Power called and spoke directly with them. The dimensions weren’t even consistent across the opening. After a little torch and weld work on the building, the opening was the correct dimension and the door was flawless. Two of my neighbors also have Higher Power doors. So far we are very pleased. We do need to seal the bottom skins at the frame as the rainwater tends to leak in depending upon the angle at which the door is open during rainstorms. My other neighbor’s Schweiss door has the same issue. I like the fact that I don’t need to add extra bracing during hurricanes as do my neighbors with the accordion style doors. I do miss the extra light they have with their translucent door skins.

RV7
Empennage and wings need tips
Fuselage kit "finished" (for the moment)
Finish kit and FWF in progress
Hartzell CS
Aerosport Power IO-360 with the inferior Superior crank, Dual Pmags, AFP FM200 FI

Hangar construction at 7FL4 finished.
Home construction at 7FL4 under way.

C-172 at KCRG (sold)
C-150 at 7FL4 (sold)

www.mykitlog.com/cakelley
www.1379.eaachapter.org
Old 09-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
I do miss the extra light they have with their translucent door skins.
When I skinned our Higher Power door (13' high) I used 10' steel panels at the bottom, and 3' high translucent Lexan panels above that for light.

Works well, and the Lexan panels are available in matching rib style to the steel panels.

Lots of light gets in, but nobody under 10' tall can look in

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 09-11-2020, 01:06 PM

Default Great idea!

I wish I had thought of that!

RV7
Empennage and wings need tips
Fuselage kit "finished" (for the moment)
Finish kit and FWF in progress
Hartzell CS
Aerosport Power IO-360 with the inferior Superior crank, Dual Pmags, AFP FM200 FI

Hangar construction at 7FL4 finished.
Home construction at 7FL4 under way.

C-172 at KCRG (sold)
C-150 at 7FL4 (sold)

www.mykitlog.com/cakelley
www.1379.eaachapter.org
Old 09-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Another plus for Horton folding doors is there is no load on the hangar. And the hangar cost is reduced.
You can open one center panel to walk through instead of lifting the entire door 6 ft.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 09-12-2020, 10:43 AM

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but the new hangar complex at our airport will have horizontally-opening accordion doors... Pictures here: http://blueheronaeropark.com/

Having opened sliding doors in all of my hangars so far i'm looking forward to this option. There were pictures on here recently of an RV-4 that's being sold cheap because a vertical opening bifold door lowered on the tailcone... That was always my concern with the vertical-opening doors.