Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Who plans an accident? :-)
Regardless, unless an ELT is powered from ship's power, I don't see how it can be updating *and storing* GPS position prior to activation, and still have a battery with a 10 year life. Are the 406 ELTs connected to ship's power?
The answer to your last question ("Are 406 ELT's connected to ship's power") is yes, at least in the case of an ACK E04. You need to ask an expert, but my guess is that these units use some form of non-volatile memory, like "flash" chips. These chips can store data even in the complete absence of power.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Default GARMIN GTX 335 ADS-B RS-232 Serial Data to Artex ELT 345 Format

We are considering installing an ARTEX ELT 345 and sending it position data from a GTX 335. We are currently trying to figure out what serial dat format out of the 335 is compatible with the ELT.

The Artex specifies two acceptable serial data formats:
1) NMEA 0183 baud rate is 4800.
2) Aviation protocol baud rate is 9600.

In another installation the ELT 345 is being sent data from a 430W using the AVIATION output of the 430W and works fine.

We are not sure which output format to configure the GTX-335 in this application. Any assistance would be appreciated.

-larosta
Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The answer to your last question ("Are 406 ELT's connected to ship's power") is yes, at least in the case of an ACK E04. You need to ask an expert, but my guess is that these units use some form of non-volatile memory, like "flash" chips. These chips can store data even in the complete absence of power.
Thanks; that explains it. Nonvolatile memory is a piece of cake, but continually writing to it requires power.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larosta View Post
We are considering installing an ARTEX ELT 345 and sending it position data from a GTX 335. We are currently trying to figure out what serial dat format out of the 335 is compatible with the ELT.

The Artex specifies two acceptable serial data formats:
1) NMEA 0183 baud rate is 4800.
2) Aviation protocol baud rate is 9600.

In another installation the ELT 345 is being sent data from a 430W using the AVIATION output of the 430W and works fine.

We are not sure which output format to configure the GTX-335 in this application. Any assistance would be appreciated.

-larosta
It is my understanding that the 335/345 transponders will not output gps serial data to another device. That?s why I had to decide where to get my gps source information. Getting a wire run to my Garmin rack seemed very difficult because of limited space so that is why I chose my lower GRT WS EFIS. The ACK ELT allow you to set your input baud rate. I suspect ARTEX is the same.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 04-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Default Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post

Regardless, unless an ELT is powered from ship's power, I don't see how it can be updating *and storing* GPS position prior to activation, and still have a battery with a 10 year life. Are the 406 ELTs connected to ship's power?
Regarding the mystery of an inactive ELT being able to store GPS data with power off, here is my guess:
It is possible and not uncommon to harvest a little power from the RS-232 signal itself. The RS-232 signal is very robust. Further, some newer chips can operate on microwatts, so there is more power available than needed. Very feasable. This is how I would have designed it.

Jim, my major involvement with a (K)C-135A was long ago with Gen. Old's 15th AF flying command post aircraft here at March. I was asked to do a new secure system since I was about the only asset with some digital background. They loved me. But you guys had all the fun. I must have been great going from a slug A model to the R.

Ron
Old 04-24-2019, 05:59 PM

Default ELT is powered whenever aircraft is powered

In regards to the ACK E04 ELT vs the old ACK E01 ELT, there is a new four pin plug that required me to run a shielded four wire cable from my panel to the ELT. This new four wire plug has pins for 12v (40 MAmp) power, ground, gps serial data in from a gps output source, and gps return data (for gps source testing). I used an existing one amp clock C/B for the power source, an existing ground block for ground connection, and as said earlier my lower GRT WS for serial gps data sourcing. The fourth wire (gps data source testing) is loose (but labeled and shrink wrapped at the end) in case I ever need to re-test the gps data source.

I?ve heard some people say conversion from the E01 to the E04 was quick and easy. That WAS NOT my experience. Running the new wire, locating and wiring up a suitable gps source, installation of a new remote switch and warning device plus eventually relocating my ELT antenna all together involved a solid week of work spread over a month and a half of actual effort.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!