What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

(Another) Different Kind of Oshkosh

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Every time I trek to Wisconsin in July, I seem to have a different kind of experience. My first trips wee about shopping ? buying things for the airplane, trying out panel stuff, seeing all the vendors and walking away with thirty pounds of AN hardware.

In later years, once I was flying that plane, it was about meeting people I had met on the internet, trading stories, and wandering around airplanes. It?s fun to watch aircraft movements, but I never paid much attention to the air show. Lots of snooping around the vendors again ? most of whom I have worked with, and a few new ones with good ideas. The feet get tied early in the week when you try and cover the entire Airventure grounds numerous times!

In all of these early years, I had stayed with buddies in Scholler for a night or two, or with Louise at the hotel in Appleton. She?s a camper, of course, but her work requires her to stay with the gang up there. This year, with no ongoing projects, and two airplanes from our hangar, it was easy to carry camping gear, so I decided to set up in HBC and see what it was like to live ?on the grounds? for days on end.

So this year, in the final analysis, I actually seemed to attend a ?fly in?. Oshkosh has always been a show that I attended ? wither by airplane or car. This year, it was an event where I embedded myself with other pilots who flew in and lived by their airplanes. Most of my time (when I wasn?t working RV-1 events in the first few days) was spent in HBC, HBP, or walking down to the far end of ultra lights for breakfast. I realized the difference later in the week when I felt ?funny? going to the vendor buildings ? it almost seemed like I couldn?t wait to get back from the trade show, back to the quiet, slower pace of just standing and talking with the next person who came along.

I wrote a couple of years ago how Oshkosh had become about the people. This year, it was about living there ? with the people, with the airplanes. It was a more personal experience, less about the hoopla of the ?State Fair?. I never thought I could experience the ?Big Show? as a fly-in ? thought that was long gone. But it really is still there. I must admit, I spent the last few nights at the hotel, but that was mostly due to evening events up there I wanted to attend. Ten days on the grounds might be a little long, and frankly, it gets a little sad by Thursday, as massive holes appear in the ranks of airplanes ? it is no longer a fly-in as much as it is an air show for the locals.

I liked being at a fly-in, and I think I will experience it that way again. The Scholler experience is almost a bit frenetic for me ? lots of people crammed into a small (OK, it?s huge!) space ? a dense tent city. HBC is wide open, people separated by the spans of their wings at the very least. It?s quiet at night and even the early morning. It just seemed to be less ?rushed?. It?s hard for me to slow down, but here, it seems, I almost could.

Great stuff!

Thanks Paul. As always a great story. My Subway-7 (Name not final... he he)will be done so I will see you there next year! Although I will probably sissy out and get a hotel or B&B and blame it on my wife...

HBC almost a different corner of the world

Paul, I agree with you 100%. My son Derek and I arrived on Saturday before the show and it didn't matter, the "Fly-in" had started, we were with folks we could relate too. A highlight was meeting you and looking at your and Louise's RV-3. We had a great time setting around the front of our plane one evening with 4 new and old friends, sipping adult beverages, talking planes, places and people. All you had to do to start a conversation with someone new was too say "Hello, what did you fly in?" Oh, I can't forget Mondays RV gathering at SOS brothers, we had a great time and it was an easy walk from HBC. While there I did my RV duty and chatted up a newbie builder, trying to instill confidence that he too can do it. Passing it on.

See every one next year

This was my first Oshkosh. Being a Florida native, I typically went to the 'other one'. But being as I'm still building, it's always been by car, staying at home each night. Now, I live in Colorado and this year it was Oshkosh...and I flew there as an extra wallet in a beautiful RV-6 offered by a new friend from this board. It was an entirely different experience from the 'fly in' I've long been used to. We camped a few rows back of Paul and his beautiful planes. Down the row from Horton and his beautiful plane. Next to Steve and Mary's beautiful plane....simply amazing.

Not long ago I asked in the Midwest section where all the RVrs were in Colorado. I went to an EAA lunch...and found them...then met more at Oshkosh. EAA may not be all we could wish it to be...but it still is pretty amazing. 500 RV's littering the grounds of Oshkosh...I won't soon forget that trip. Thanks for the ride John!

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more

Paul,
Well said. This was my first time at HBC (not at OSH) and it does bring a sense of community to the show.

This was out seventh year camping with the plane at Osh, and neither the wife or I have any desire to do it any different.

In fact the year of "SloshKosh" I asked the wife if she would like to try to find a room to stay in, her answer: "if we can't camp then whats the sense, I'd rather not go". We both love meeting all the new people in HBC and without that, it would be just another show. Camping at Osh is a great experience, and one that you can't get from a cozy hotel room :D

Oshkosh does take on a different perspective depending on where one is with a project and where you stay. The dorms are a cult-like experience for some who are there every year as is camp Scholler. THe HBC is becoming a favorite for many. But another changing perspective of the event is how old one is.

What I am noticing is pain, physical pain walking the event that was not there years ago. In the past it was no big deal to walk down to the ultra light area to see what's going on there or a stroll into the Scholler area to meet friends but that is getting difficult. It can still be done but at a much reduced pace for sure. I noticed, coming in through the main gate, a long line up for the electric cart rentals - I thought, now there is a solution but then rejected the idea out right - no way am I going to drive around on an electric cart like an over weight invalid.

One guy you don't see walking anymore is Bob Hoover.

I was going somewhere and there was this golf cart next to a port-a-potty driven by an EAA guy and a slightly bent over gentleman climbing into it, I guess they had made a potty stop. I was about 2 feet from the cart when it occurred to me, that's Bob Hoover. I said Bob Hoover, how are you? He turned with a big grin and stuck out is right hand for a shake. I had met him once before many years ago on a commercial flight to LA and we had talked about his friend Bevo Howard who had owned the military flight school I attended in Georgia as a kid. There is no way he remembered that meeting but he was genuinely friendly. Bob Hoover is a class act in that he has a smile and hand shake for anyone. Meeting such persons just by chance is a part of the Oshkosh adventure.

I will return to OSH and know the event will take a different flavor as the years go by. But I will not rent one of those electric carts. :)

I think this was my 23rd consecutive Oshkosh. I first drove up and camped in Camp Scholler. Nobody told me that I needed to stake out my campsite, and I wandered merrily on my way the first day, only to come back and find my tent surrounded by other tents belonging to a group of old NY guys who snored, farted and belched all night long! Rope, stakes and ear plugs became necessities for all future visits.

When I bought my Yankee, I became a camper in the North 40 and discovered Friar Tuck's off the NW corner of the runway. It became my hangout, and I held court there every evening for dinner until the wee hours, getting to know some of the locals and the staff there. I've watched them grow up, get married, have kids, watch their kids grow up -- all in one-year intervals.

During the 13-year build of Smokey, I drove up and camped back at Scholler, each year being pushed farther and farther out toward Hwy 41 because of motor homes and now EAA rental campers.

I decided to camp in HBC this year for the first time. While it would be nice to have some of the amenities that other camp areas have, it's still quieter and closer to the action than other places. I only wish I could have met more fellow RVers this year.

The most magical moment of those years was the first night of my first Oshkosh. I was peeved at being surrounded by the old guys and having to listen to them snore. Lying there, staring at the top of the tent, I suddenly heard the soft strains of a bagpipe playing "Danny Boy."

Intrigued, I put on some clothes and went outside. I followed the sound to a campsite several rows away, and became aware of how quiet the camp was getting as he played the pipes.

There were a couple dozen of us just standing there, listening to a few songs, and that number grew to several dozen and the camp grew very still. When the piper started "Amazing Grace," you could have heard a pin drop.

As the last notes faded and he put away his pipes, the crowd just silently dispersed, no talking, no clapping. Even the NY guys stopped snoring.

A truly magical Oshkosh moment. :)

HBC for us

This was our 5th year of camping in HBC and we love it. We arrived on Friday afternoon and joined a small group in HBC. I enjoy visiting with all the HBC campers. It was interesting to note when we left on Sunday morning the number of planes that had also arrived on Friday that were also leaving on that Sunday morning, after 9 days of camping. The first four planes in row 307 and first two planes in row 308 had all stayed for the duration of OSH. Fortunately for those that cannot spend that much time at OSH, there were lots of planes coming and going during the week which was great to see also.

My favorite thing is bringing people to Oshkosh. Last year I brought 6 newbies, this year 18. To watch them try to take it in is such fun. Yes, we arrive early, and stake out our digs--I have learned how to make the most of a few spots (we had four this year.) I also got to show around a first-timer from England, a most pleasant gentleman. Having a dozen kids from Southern California there near us was special, also. They challenged our kids to a volleyball tournament. They shouldn't have done that! 4 to 1, Eagle's Nest.

The people make it what it is to me, and the newcomers are the best. That first day is amazing, and I love all the sights and sounds of the place. I am starting to miss it already...

Bob

Coffie at HBC

The coffie set up at HBC shower house was GREAT!!!! I am awake when it gets daylight - no place open to get coffie that early until this year. Great addition to the HBC experience!!

This was my first time flying to Airventure although I have attended several times either staying in hotels or our motorhome. It was awesome flying in with the airplane I built and camping next to it with everyone else. Although it was hot during the day, the evenings cooled down and sleeping in the tent was not a problem. I invested in a good tent, so I wasn't too concerned about it leaking or blowing away. Fortunately I didn't have to test that theory as we flew out thursday morning before the meyhem set in. :cool:

It was certainly nicer to camp in HBC than I expected. The showers were great and the water always hot and the water pressure plentiful. It was great having ice right there that you could buy without hiking to the red barn. Just wished they had a pop machine there as well. The VAF party at SOS was fun, just wish more people had name tags. Did get to meet Brantel only because he had a name tag. Corn Roast was good. Wish we had a bigger covered seating area so we all could chill out. I thought it was funny that the safety discussion with Mark and Paul happened in the field with everyone standing up. We finally decided to sit on the ground. I understand there are big changes to HBC coming next year. Hopefully that will actually happen.

It was great meeting Paul. I also appreciated an opportunity to set down one evening with Dan Horton. Wow, what a collection of knowledge he has. He should have worked with Paul at NASA.:D

I have to admit the greatest joy this year was flying to the show, instead of just attending it. I got to fly along with a good friend whose help in completing my plane was invaluable. This was his first time in his RV as well, and it was fun crossing the country in these awesome machines.

Originally my oldest son was going to fly with me but unfortunately he severely sprained his ankle and could not go. Maybe I will have to go again next year and bring him along.

This was my first time flying to Osh, and camping at HBC was definitely the right choice - I met so many nice people and was there to see so much more than I would have if I had left each night.

Oshkosh - AirVenture 2012

It seems that most of the people posting in this thread are people people. Well, I'm not. I do tend to be an airplane person. I do like to see airplanes that are special and if I never see another aerobatic flight or tent or AV-8B (too loud and you can only be excited about it so many times) that would be just fine. I was moved by N8RVs bag piper story however.

In 1992 in October Jeanine and I landed there and stayed overnight on our way from southern California to or 25th anniversary celebration at Macinac, Island. Of course the field was empty and our Archer II was tied down at the FBO. Even though it was empty I had a feeling that this was a special place because of all I had read - and that is actually why I planned our overnight stop there.

The next time we were there was at the end of the Aircraft Spruce "Great Cross Country Flying Race" from Denver, Colorado (Jeffco). They had all the racers taxi to Aeroshell Square for a few hours then were were dispersed. We left the next day I believe and I don't remember anything about the show except Golda Cox taking time to make us a copy of the race results. There was something about her operation that was impressive. In 1996 the most memorable thing was on the way home from Oshkosh. We landed at Chicago's Meigs Field the month before it was closed and spending a few days there as tourists.

In 2005 and 2006 we flew our RV-6A in the AirVenture Cup Race from Dayton, Ohio and parked where they parked the racers west of runway 36. I was determined that I was going to indulge myself to the full experience. The heat in 2005 on Sunday after the race arrival was terrible and the logistics to get to our rental car at the terminal north of runway 27 were impossible. After a very long time we were able to get a phone number of a local taxi company and we barely survived it - after returning home we had to go to the hospital and Jeanine who had suffered my "dream experience" in quiet painful support, had a toe amputated.

In 2007 we flew in the Airventure Cup race again but instead of flying into Wittman Field we parked the plane at Fond Du Lac and gat a rental car there. Logistics were much better than the stranded situation at Oshkosh but the parking area out in the field was horrible. I had to use full power to taxi and if I stopped I was not sure I would ever get it moving again. When we left I had to plan a route from our spot in the second row to a taxiway where I could keep moving and if the wheel pants got torn off well that is just the way is was going to be. At full power the plane overcame the resistance and I did not let up until we completed that rough ride movement to the taxiway. Never again.

In 2008 we flew in the first AirVenture Cup race from Mitchell, South Dakota. This time we found the best place to go for the Oshkosh connection - Juneau, Dodge County Airport. We parked on the paved ramp, picked up our rental car at the adjacent FBO and drove to Wittman field for the big show.

In 2009 cancer detection the week before Oshkosh caused us to cancel the AirVenture Cup race entry and the trip to Oshkosh.

In 2010 I flew alone in the second AirVenture Cup Race from Mitchell, SD, refueled at Juneau and flew directly home - never went to Oshkosh.

In 2011 we were dealing with cancer treatment and did not enter the AirVenture Cup Race or go to Oshkosh.

In 2012 I again flew in the third Airventure Cup Race from Mitchell, SD but there was no reason to hurry home. I landed at Juneau, got my car and drove to the Holiday Inn at Oshkosh just across highway 41 northwest of Wittman Field in Oshkosh. I took a short nap then drove around the north and east sides of the airport to Wendt's Marina in Fond Du Lac where they were having the award ceremony for the race. As I was going down highway 45 on the east side I saw a line of planes on final for runway 27 and I thought I knew the anticipation that must by in those cockpits and I felt a tinge of envy for some reason. Farther south I saw the sign for the EAA seaplane base. After the ceremony I retraced my steps and headed home early the next morning without visiting Wittman Field.

Each year was different as the lead for this thread says. The things I remember that are not already mentioned were making eye contact with Chuck Yeager as he was talking to some people, seeing the Honda Jet, Steve Fossett flying his round the world jet into Oshkosh, an F-86 and a Mig-15 in flight, the giant Dornier Seaplane and Burt Rutan's White knight. Each year I do get excited about the AirVenture Cup Race and this year was no exception as Eric Whyte and his staff of volunteers pull off a triumph out of chaos. Some pilots in these races are always working on their planes to improve performance. Notable was Dick Keyt with his Polen Special that has two new scoops on the outboard sides of the cowl apparently for working two intercoolers. If you stand right in front of the plane it looks like a clowns face with the two new intakes forming the ears. Klause Savier had his new FX Blue Long EZ there to move up in class hopefully to dominate there as he did in the FX red class. Bruce Hammer spent a lot of time working on his Glasair I TD that has been a constant winner in the FX Blue class for years. It sports a new paint job and internal upgrades as well. He was concerned about Klaus Savier's Long EZ entry and he told me I am as good as I can get and Klause is just starting to develop this Long EZ. Well at the award ceremony Bruce won again at the incredible speed of 280.42 mph compared to his normal speed in the mid 260s. Klause Savier's second place speed was 273.75 mph which did beat brother Steve Hammer's Glasair I TD speed of 266.65 mph. In retrospect I guess I am a little bit of a people person - it is fun being around these people.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The most magical moment of those years was the first night of my first Oshkosh. I was peeved at being surrounded by the old guys and having to listen to them snore. Lying there, staring at the top of the tent, I suddenly heard the soft strains of a bagpipe playing "Danny Boy."

Intrigued, I put on some clothes and went outside. I followed the sound to a campsite several rows away, and became aware of how quiet the camp was getting as he played the pipes.

There were a couple dozen of us just standing there, listening to a few songs, and that number grew to several dozen and the camp grew very still. When the piper started "Amazing Grace," you could have heard a pin drop.

As the last notes faded and he put away his pipes, the crowd just silently dispersed, no talking, no clapping. Even the NY guys stopped snoring.

A truly magical Oshkosh moment. :)

Almost made me tear up ;)!

Agreed, Oshkosh is one magical place! Truly is.

I was a volunteer in HBC at Oshksoh for the first time this year. It was tough duty as my job was to sit in an air conditioned office and sell ice for $3a bag in the sweltering heat!

I did not stay in HBC though as I slept on an air mattress in the basement of a 3 bedroom 3 bath house with 25 of my closest friends from EAA 690! A great way to do Oshkosh.

Questions:

What do we need to make HBC better @ Oshkosh.

Surely we can do more than coffee in the morning and a corn roast.

Looking for answers

John Morgan

I have been going to Oshkosh for 26 years. It is nice to have amenities but be careful. pretty soon the special about camping amongst friends can change.

Coffee Sponsor at HBC

We were able to provide free coffee at both HBC and the Homebuilt HQ this year due to generous sponsorship by Flying High Coffee, Inc. To give some idea of the scope of this donation: on one morning last week HBC campers drank 20 gallons of premium coffee in 15 minutes...and wanted more.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like marketing at Oshkosh has paid off for Flying High Coffee, Inc. I spoke with them on the last day to say thanks and they indicated that they may not be able to return next year unless they see some return on their marketing investment.

The phrase "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch (TANSTAAFL)" certainly applies here...so if you enjoyed the coffee in HBC (and/or our HQ building), please write a thank you to their president, Robert Riggen ([email protected])...and order coffee and supplies from www.flyinghighcoffee.com for your business, FBO, EAA Chapter, etc.

The company donates 30% of their profit back to aviation programs in the form of donations to Able Flight, Girls with Wings, etc. so a large portion of the proceeds from your coffee money will go to some great causes.

Ask for the "OSH Blend"

Thanks,
Mike
Co-Chair, Homebuilt Registration

Last edited:
Camping @ OSH

HBC is the place to be. Nice and Quite in the evening.
My experience started in 1980 in Scholer with a pop up camper.
1984 camped with my 1959 C172 in the north 40
1997 - 2006 camped with my RV6 and EXP Super Cub 'Shooter'
1997 fly- in & camped with RV8 'Borrowed Horse'
Worked with Avery Tools the last several years. Stayed in Bobs rented house.
I am looking forward to getting back to HBC next year. Carol and I like to arrive Saturday and stay till Sunday or Monday after it is over.

Better facilities in HBC

I was a volunteer in HBC...

Questions:

What do we need to make HBC better @ Oshkosh.

Surely we can do more than coffee in the morning and a corn roast.

Looking for answers

John Morgan

You asked the question, so here's my response:

For background, I've stayed four times in the North 40 campground in the last 10 years. I am building an RV7 but presently fly a C172, so that's why I camp in the North 40. The new shower house in the North 40, including private showers, flush toilets, plenty of sinks, and lots of 110 volt outlets, is a BIG improvement over the previous shower house and porta-johns. :(

I am not aware of how good the facilities (showers, toilets, outlets, etc.) in HBC are now, but I didn't see a really nice shower house there as I walked through. I realize the North 40 has a LOT more campers than HBC, but if EAA can afford to build new chalets (they're gonna tear down the EAA Radio studios to build more chalets) then I think they can provide more and better facilities in HBC. The "Return on Investment" on the chalets is probably a lot better than the "ROI" on any HBC facilities. But, "if you build it, they will come." I saw several RV's and other homebuilts in the North 40, and I can only assume the better facilities had an influence on their decision to camp there. It's my opinion that with better facilities in HBC, more homebuilders would camp there.

There. That's my response.

Back