What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick magneto reliability

jetdriven

Well Known Member
We are replacing our Bendix dual mag IO-360-A3B6D with an -A3B6 which has two Slick mags.

I have been reading a lot of stories about failures in 200 hours, and that the cost of the 500-hr inspection often exceeds the cost of new mags.

I would like to gather some postings from pilots who have run Slick magnetos and their experiences with them.

Lots of airplanes flying around with them. Some folks have no problems, some folks don't have as good a luck, so you'll probably get inputs in both both directions.

I put 2,000 hours on new Slicks on my Grumman Yankee back in the 90's - no issues.

Got 1400 hours out of new Slicks on my RV-8 before I had what I think was a coil failure...and no, it just wasn't cost effective to overhaul that Mag in my book, so I took that as an opportunity to go with something else. But not becasue the Slick's weren't reliable - I just wore them out.

I got an old 4200 series slick mag when I bought my engine core many years ago. It could have had 2,000 hours on it, I dunno. But as I was rebuilding my engine, a friendly IA took the mag and IRANed it. He replaced the stuff that he deemed "likely to be shot". That cost me about $200.

It ran fine for 11 years and 800 hours. For peace of mind, I recently replaced it with a modern 4300 series Slick. No complaints about the old one, and no complaints (so far) about the new one.

Slick 4300 series

I run Slick 4300 series with impulse couplings on both mags. I have the engine shop do 500hr inspections per Slick's guidance and it runs about $800.00ish for the pair. I overhaul at TBO which runs $1500.00ish. With eleven aircraft flying ~65000 hours over the last 10 years I have not had a single problem. Somewhat good luck, but also folowing the manufactures guidance really helps. Russ

I started with a 4731 and a 4370 mags. At 420 hrs replaced 4370 with light speed electronic ignition. Mag looks good. Now the left side impulse mag (4371) has 1145 hrs and still looks good and works fine.

Slick mag works great

I have a slick mag on my IO-360 along with one LS ignition. The mag ran perfectly for 1140 hours, when I decided to send it in for IRAN service. The service cost $240 and took a week. it is back on and working perfectly.

Dan Miller
RV-8. 1150+ hours

4,000+ hours on two engines with slicks and very happy. do the service and go flying. only had one massive electrode plug go bad. using iridium fine wires now.

Slick 4300/6300 series SB

There is a Slick service bulletin SB3-08 for 4300/6300 series mags with serial numbers 0409XXXX through 0611XXXX. Carbon brush wear is the problem. Yes, I have one with serial #06112402. (one mag, one Lightspeed on my IO360). Anyone seen/done this? I have 260 hrs TT on this mag. Do you remove the mag from the engine to do this repair? Thanks....

SB

I did the SB on my slick mags, you have to take them off to do it. If I recall correctly there was two SB's one for the carbon brush and one for points, I got a kit and did it myself. There are great instructions on VAF somewhere if you search

Back