What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail wheel chains and rudder

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Howdy all.

Fit the chains today, after waiting for the eye bolts to come in. I mounted them with the rudder eye bolt down and the tail wheel horn eye bolt up as some have suggested to decrease the force angle. Everything else is the same per plans.

My question is while we were testing rudder full deflection, parked of course, the chains were rubbing on the bottom of the rudder, at say 70% deflection (20+ deg). It would appear if I mounted them per stock that they would rub for a greater arc (make things worse). Has anyone else run into this or is my rudder fairing hanging down too far?

I think I could probably fix it by flipping the eye bolts on the tailwheel, but thought I should ask the "all knowing cloud of RV knowledge" first. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Buy a 'Rocket Link'

The rocket link allows you to avoid all those messy chains (and adds 3 knots of speed....maybe).

Mine rub too

I put some HMW tape on my white rudder to protect the paint. Still there 8 years later.

1. Put the tape on the rudder as above
  2. Never heard of using eyebolts on the tailwheel horn end - this would make it worse? Yes - eyebolts on the rudder arm help.
  3. Enclose the chains in plastic pipe. This not only protects the rudder, but will also catch engine oil, in turn lubricating the chains but most importantly, preventing them turning to rust ;)

Here's my opinion, based on 20+ years of RVing:
1) Never use UHMW tape. Paint protection film is superior in every way.
2) a simple piece of heat shrink tubing on your rudder chains is a good way to make them look better and guards against rubbing.
3) the RV/Rocket steering link is a very popular mod to replace the chains entirely

Yes, I'm a bit biased since we sell #1 and #3.... but we sell them because they work very well. If we did this for the money, we'd have quit many years ago! :eek:

[*]Never heard of using eyebolts on the tailwheel horn end - this would make it worse? Yes - eyebolts on the rudder arm help....
Andy,

This is what he is talking about:

(Click to enlarge)

There are matching eyebolts hanging down from the rudder horn.

One of the major advantages to this setup is that the steel chain link doesn't wear a hole in the aluminum rudder horn. If it does wear a hole in the eye bolt, it is easy enough to replace.

In 400 hours of flying, I have only one small scratch on my rudder bottom from the chains and I'm not sure how I did that.

Thanks for the reply's. I guess I am not alone.

We want to start with the chains first, to get a feel for the stock airplane. We may decide to go to the link later, or maybe not. Time will tell.

what does the rocket steering do differently than the chains? I am on the fence, but not really sure the advantage gained. please explain

what does the rocket steering do differently than the chains? I am on the fence, but not really sure the advantage gained. please explain

I've been flying the Rocket link since it was released by the original developer (2000?). The link feels similar to well-adjusted chains so doesn't offer any large improvement in performance. But it looks nice and cleans up the tailwheel area by eliminating the chains, springs and links.

Nothing wrong with chains and springs but I much prefer the Rocket link. I don't have to worry about keeping chains adjusted, replacing chain links, or the chains hitting the bottom of the rudder.

This is what he is talking about:

(Click to enlarge)

There are matching eyebolts hanging down from the rudder horn.

One of the major advantages to this setup is that the steel chain link doesn't wear a hole in the aluminum rudder horn. If it does wear a hole in the eye bolt, it is easy enough to replace.
Understood. Would not reversing the eybolt i.e. hanging down again, not help v the Rudder issue?

Understood. Would not reversing the eybolt i.e. hanging down again, not help v the Rudder issue?

Good question Andy. My goal (besides worrying about wear on the rudder horn) was to reduce the angle of the chains, thus the eye bolt hanging down on the rudder and pointing up on the tailwheel. Having them both hang down would certainly move the chains away from the rudder bottom and it shouldn't impact handling.

Three -8's at Stead all with this setup. No problems.

img0467oh.jpg

Dave Casey
RV-8 QB
RV-3 Race 89

Chains

Keep in mind if you adjust your chains barely snug, then they should have adequate slack in them when you sit in the plane as yours and a passengers weight will flex the tail spring, causing slack in the chains.

Back