What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wood prop removal/reinstalation for refinishing

grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
I'm about to send my Warnke wood prop off for a refinish. May be a dumb question but as a buyer not builder I thought I'd ask: any special considerations I should know before removing the spinner and prop? Any special sequence to follow or gotchas in putting it back on.

Thoughts I had,

1 loosen slightly and tighten slightly in a cross pattern like a cylinder head on an engine to keep from stressing one side?

2 mark in some fashion so the prop goes back on in the original "clocked" position?

Anything else I should know. Should I just get my AnP to do it?

At this point I'm going with Props Inc in Newport OR, any suggestions on a shop for the refinish are welcome.

Thanks much and have a great day

I just had my Hoffman prop on the Bucker redone by Western Prop. in Troutdale, oR. They did an excellent job.
Yes - mark the orientation of the prop, extension, ring gear, spinner back plate, etc... on the flange and to each other. I mark all of the bolts as well and put them back in the same holes, but not sure that is necessary.

Have the prop shop check the bolts and extension. They should ask for them to test regardless.

Clean all the mating surfaces to insure there is no grease or dirt between them. Torque bolts in alternate patterns in steps or as recommended by the manufacturer.
I mark the torque limits and bolt pattern on the prop itself. It is hidden by the spinner anyway.

Safety those bolts in a two bolt pattern!

Retorque after two hours of flight time.

Research your prop for any AD's or SB's. Mine had a bolt replacement AD on the prop, but only for certain configurations so I was not affected but I noted this in the log book so I didn't have to research it again.

While your prop is off, on most lycomings with hollow cranks, there is an AD for inspection of the inside of the crank for corrosion. If yours falls under this AD it is much easier to do the inspection with the prop off.

Last edited:
Prop plug

Good call on having the prop plug pulled and inside of crank inspected. I had this AD done at my last annual when I had my RV4. The 0320B2C was a certified Lycoming out of a Robinson R22 Helicopter and had the original Lycoming data plate. My A/P would not sign off until this AD was done. No big deal - took him less than 1/2 hr.

Back