What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView Questions

Mr Charles

Well Known Member
I am getting close to upgrading my 4 panel to glass...but am still unclear on certain features of the Skyview. Not having room for a 696 and a 10" Skyview, (guess I need a bigger plane :D) I am thinking of spending the proceeds from my last bank robbery :D on a 10" Skyview, and keeping my antique Garmin 195 (think "small"), or possibly replacing the 195 with a 496... So.......not that I would fly without a separate GPS for a backup, but if, theoretically, I only had a Skyview, and NO Garmin, what would I be missing??? I.E., what can a Garmin 195 (or 496) do that the Skyview can't? ...Being very comfortable with, and utilizing the ole 195 for so long, I don't wanna drop 5 grand and all that work to find out that "Oh, the Skyview won't warn you of an upcoming airspace intrusion" or some other little issue in the fine print.
I really appreciate all you guys (and girls) and the help I've received on other posts here. Looking forward to your feedback!!!
Mr Charles

We'll be completely honest with where we are on any of our features and what is coming shortly, but we can't just list everything we do against an arbitrary GPS, since there are so many little features that people find important.

What is important with SkyView is that we do plan on doing "everything." Unlike a 496, SkyView is not a locked down, done product, and we fully expect to be adding and building map features to it for a long time. So a no answer today may not be the same answer in 4 months. But you also need to get flying, so all you can do is buy the feature set we have today.

For instance, SkyView doesn't do airspace alerting. Yet. It's absolutely on the list, but it will be next year.

Feel free to ask us about important features and we'll tell you where they are on the list if they aren't there already.

We'll be completely honest with where we are on any of our features and what is coming shortly-------

Feel free to ask us about important features and we'll tell you where they are on the list if they aren't there already.

This is the way customer service is supposed to be, good job Dynon.

How about the D100 and a 696? That's the combo I've used, and will again. I did a lot of poking and asking at OSH this year, and that combo currently beats the immature Skyview on price, acreage, and features. I suppose the Skyview may have more value to you now if you never intend to look outside ever again. :rolleyes:

John Siebold

Being a future Skyview user, the quick response from Dynon (#1 reply) affirms my decision to use Dynon. Dynon and MGL, with Ranier's quick replies and updates, should be a clue as to where to go for fine products and excellent customer service. My only problem is how to stuff a 10" Skyview in my poor little RV-8 panel and still accomodate the typical Garmin stack.

Bill

Being a future Skyview user, the quick response from Dynon (#1 reply) affirms my decision to use Dynon. Dynon and MGL, with Ranier's quick replies and updates, should be a clue as to where to go for fine products and excellent customer service. My only problem is how to stuff a 10" Skyview in my poor little RV-8 panel and still accomodate the typical Garmin stack.

Bill

It's surprisingly not that hard. In fact, you can fit TWO 10" Skyview screens in an RV8 panel and still get a GNS430W, SL40, GTX327 and Audio panel all in there without too terrible of an effort...just takes a bit of creativity! I'm too lazy to post a picture, but when I get a chance I'll try to do it to show you it can be done and still looks fantastic with the screen(s) centered on the panel.

Cheers,
Stein

I would love to see that picture. I could not figure out one dynon 10 centered and still fit the 430W.

The 10" Skyview in an RV-8 is the question that has been on my mind too. I got the full color full sized brochure at Oshkosh and have it in the cockpit. When I'm flying I hold them up trying to decide if the 10" is worth the extra cost and panel space. It's big enough I don't need bi-focals to read everything, which is very nice.

I'll look forward to seeing pictures from Stein or others who have put at least one 10" Skyview in an -8.

Here are a few RV-8 panels with a SkyView. Trying to dig out a few more. I know of at least one plane that has two 7" screens, a GNS-430, a GTX-327, and a glovebox.

RV8-1.jpg

RV8-2.jpg

106bhqb.jpg

Dynonsupport- Do you have any photos of SkyView's in RV-4's? My goal is to get a 7" SkyView and a Garmin 696 in my RV-4. Any photos you have would be great.

Skyview in an RV-4

Dynonsupport- Do you have any photos of SkyView's in RV-4's
---------------------------------------------
I will also like to see a few pictures in an an rv-4...

Also where can I get the full brochure that was available at Oshkosh ( From a previous post...I got the full color full sized brochure at Oshkosh) ??

Thanks

Bruno Dionne
[email protected]

Back