What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview and Vertical Power VP-X

Jeff A

Well Known Member
I am writing this thread for my own personal selfish reasons. There are a couple threads out there talking about Vertical Power's new VP-X system, and I don't want to hijack their threads. Since this is both about Electrical Systems and EFIS Systems, I figured I'd just post this here in General Discussions.

For anyone who is interested in seeing the Dynon Skyview system work with the new Vertical Power VP-X, and has not already done so, please e-mail Robert Hamilton ([email protected]), Director of Sales and Marketing for Dynon, and let him know. Please feel free to post your replies or comments here (often) to keep this thread high on the list. Maybe with enough feedback from those of us here at VAF, Dynon will devote some time to allowing these two awesome products to work together, allowing me to install them in my new RV-8. Consider this my own personal, shameless, crusade to get Dynon on-board with Vertical Power. Thanks for your support.

Last edited:
I for one support this effort and would like to see Dynon and VP work together to gets these two products to be compatible.

Info

I did email and was told they may work on if enough interest, and that it would be several months as they have many more urgent priorities. Hmmmm. Good fast reply, and a promise to email with updates should they develope. Dynon is certainly going in my panel, not 100% on the vp50 or x yet....still trying to figure out the pros and cons in my little brain and justify the expense. :confused:

Definitely going with Dynon, not so sure about the VP-X but I'll look into it.

Great timing on this as I had sent an email on this very topic just the other day...and got a response. Much the same as everyone is hearing...no immediate plans for it right now as they have other higher priority stuff on the roadmap. They did however, seem to be open to the possibility in the future if the demand was there. Count me as a fan of Skyview and Vertical Power and would like to see them play well together.

Dynon just isn't able to support VPX in the near future...

I twice have been told by Robert Hamilton that there are a lot of future developments by Dynon that do not include VPX and it is not being considered at this time. If you are waiting for Dynon to support VPX, stop waiting and go with an EFIS manufacturer that does already support it. GRT is my choce.

Myself I'am a Dynon guy. Skyview10" type! Dynons customer support is second to none. Their website of installations in RV models are PDF files for anybody to down load! Thats customer service at its best! Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Skyview and VP-X

I also sent an email in the hopes that Dynon will get the message. My RV-9A will have VP-X installed and Skyview if it's supported in the next 6 months. Otherwise, as much as I prefer Skyview over other like systems, I'll go to one that does support VP.

Agreed with all above. I think the VP-200 is one of the coolest things out there (PIN coded ignition?!?! How cool is that?). Unfortunatley I can't see spending the cash on it if I'm buying an EFIS system (Dynon, AFS, etc) that already does 90% of the engine management display I want. VP-50 on the other hand will be on the panel. Just wish the VP-50 had the key fob and coded ignition protection.

Agreed with all above. I think the VP-200 is one of the coolest things out there (PIN coded ignition?!?! How cool is that?). Unfortunatley I can't see spending the cash on it if I'm buying an EFIS system (Dynon, AFS, etc) that already does 90% of the engine management display I want. VP-50 on the other hand will be on the panel. Just wish the VP-50 had the key fob and coded ignition protection.

I have a couple of years on my VP-200 and really love it. Keep in mind that the Display Unit gives you much, much more than just engine management tools. In fact, the engine management tools could be considered secondary depending on your EFIS setup. The ability to look at what is going on with each and every electrical component on your airplane at any time is so nice! The fact that it will tell you if you have a fault, and exactly what that fault is on any component is fantastic. It told me I had a fault on my tail nav light a few weeks ago, and sure enough, the bulb was burned out. Short circuit, overvoltage, etc. Additionally, trim indicators, flap indicator, door warning indicators, pitot heat indicator (really nice with the Gretz heated pitot), autopilot disconnect alert, etc. Automatic load shedding in the event of an alternator failure, auto boost pump operation triggered by low fuel pressure if you wish, electronic checklist that you can scroll through with a button on your stick grip, etc. The ability to set circuits to dim or soft start, to set circuit protection values as necessary, (I recently changed from incandescent nav light bulbs to led and just went in to VP and changed the value from 5 amps to 1 amp). Customer service from VP has been outstanding.
In case you are wondering, I do not work for VP and am not connected to them in any way except as an extremely happy customer.:)

XP-X and Dynon

Going with the VP-X and will definitely install the Dynon Skyview if Dynon supports VP's product line.

Last edited:
What EFIS are you planning for VPX..

Lorne, Given that an EFIS is required to support VPX, unless something has recently changed at Dynon, the Skyview won't support VPX. You can still get Skyview but you would need a secondary EFIS that supports VPX, like MGL, AFS, GRT. I thought I would also go with Skyview, but not unless they do the programming to support VPX. Don't make the mistake some others did early on by purchasing certain EFIS from companies that did not follow through with development. Like someone else told me, WYSIWYG and nothing else...

While Dynon has hinted that they "may" support the VPX in the future, they have maintained the position that it is low on their priority list. I personally would not look for that feature for at least a couple years.

Like others have said, if you must buy in the near future, don't plan on Dynon supporting the VPX.

Last edited:
Dynon - VP

From the DynonDoc Web site:
Does Dynon have any plans to allow the SkyView system to integrate with Vertical Power's new VP-X system? For what it's worth, I'd REALLY like to see it happen.

SkyView doesn't output this data now, and it isn't on our short term development schedule. However, we are demand driven in our priority list, and will continue to evaluate that feature. If 20 other people show up and ask, that could of course sway us.

There could be ten or so interested followers here on VAF alone... it would be great to see Dynon move forward on this issue. If you're interested in seeing this come together,
shoot Dynon an email voicing your interest! [email protected]

Regards

Last edited:
Skyview & VP X

Compatibility with the VP-X would help persuade me to go with the Skyview. Without it I'm leaning towards MGL.

Does Dynon reply?

I too sent an email to Robert, but heard nothing back. I was wondering if my email was filtered out, or is this the norm...

Best wishes,

RBR

For everyone who has written to me, I appreciate your emails. They have helped me with our SkyView plans. Here is what I have been saying to those who write:

We would like to support the VP-X with the SkyView system. Right now we are working on several other items, and until we have a project fully staffed and scheduled we hate to make a promise. Developing new software applications that are fully integrated into the rest of the SkyView system, that are safe and intuitive to use, and are fully tested takes some time and we have high standards.

I will keep everyone posted when we have a more definitive answer.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

I would guess Dynon's response is the best you can expect...

given their previous distasteful experience with the AP76 marketing plan which left consumers mad about buying a product expecting enhancements that did not happen. While I would have loved to hear Dynon say they would be coming out with a VPX software enhancement in 12 months, they have not strayed from their party line. There are three quality EFIS manufacturers who eagerly support Vertical Power hardware if you are ready for your panel and electrical work. MGL, GRT and AFS.

dynon - VP

given their previous distasteful experience with the AP76 marketing plan which left consumers mad about buying a product expecting enhancements that did not happen. While I would have loved to hear Dynon say they would be coming out with a VPX software enhancement in 12 months, they have not strayed from their party line. There are three quality EFIS manufacturers who eagerly support Vertical Power hardware if you are ready for your panel and electrical work. MGL, GRT and AFS.

I like many, CAN wait for Dynon to come to table with this software. Those who can't, will make their decisions. And if Dynon should decide to take a different
path that's a market choice for them. I still repect what they have done for G/A - Experimental aviation. I'd be surprised if Dynon doesn't give prospective customers a heads up once they begin the VP project.
(But I could be wrong.....it wouldn't be the first time:))
regards

Hey Jeff.
I ordered the skyview 10". I also fired off a email to robert at Dynon. Their CEO is a really cool Guy. First at Dynon in the morning and last to leave in the evening. Could have been retired but hes having to much fun at Dynon. Ron in Oregon 9AQb

Last edited:
Back