What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New wheel pants

hempy.4

Guys,
Im working on new wheel pants for my RV4. How about posting some builder websites that have good close up pics of wheel pants, lower faring, leg faring and upper faring. Thanks a bunch!

Hempy.4,

I'll be real interested to know what speed improvements your new wheel pants make. I'm looking at my -3's old style wheel pants with a critical eye now. Keep us posted with test results.

My Wheel pant mod

I think I posted my subfairing mods here. I have the new style pressure recovery wheel fairings/pants on the mains and the old style nose wheel fairing. I noticed no difference from the mains but as my friend John Huft tells me my test methods are imperfect. I saw a three knot gain from the nose wheel subfairing (again using rigorous but imperfect test methods - WOT, leaned for max speed, 6000 ft density atlitude, three way per www.us-airrace.org handicap procedure and results plugged into the National Test Pilot School spreadsheet). I built up modeling clay on the tires and stock fairings then layed up fiberglass over that. Each subfairing is divided into a fwd and aft segment. I used existing hardware for the side mounts and added a fwd and aft attachment with platenuts, dimpled washers and flathead stainless steel screws. You should be able to find the photos with a fairing search.

Bob Axsom

Back