What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Crotch Strap...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
So, today we are Dynamically Balancing Prop and getting in/out of airplane a bunch of times and I noticed something odd, really odd...

Why is the metal buckle on the crotch strap bent at an angle? Both pilot and co-pilot are same bend and offset in same direction. I have sent an email to AmSafe Co. that supplies seatbelts to Vans.

I’m driving home from airport LMAO and I thought I’d ask the RV fraternity this question before I ask my wife. I’m sure my wife of twenty-five years would come up with some smart answer that wouldn’t be aviation related…
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 1.05.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 1.05.11 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 149
I have always wondered about that myself. My thought is that the angle might help to unfasten/decouple the belt connectors while under load (e.g., like when inverted)??? Curious minds want to know....

Mine aren't like that

i-ZqrdWcs-M.jpg

I checked my airplane today and crotch buckle is straight. Maybe newer builds have the angle?

Haven't asked wife's opinion yet, probably be un-printable...:D
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 11.38.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 11.38.23 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 145
But seriously, does anyone actually use these???

What makes the RV-12 one of Van’s safest airplanes is excellent 5-point harness, strong roller bar, light airframe weight, and very low stall speed. Off-field landing is very survivable if airplane is flown correctly with touchdown at just above stall speed. Low weight and low speed mean very little energy to be dissipated.

Why would someone consider not using entire restraint system as designed? Perhaps same logic as not using checklist...

Back