What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Registration info

ClarkieSr

Any builders out there that have registered their build in the State of Florida? I'd like to find out if Florida monitors the FAA registration site to assess sales tax or other taxes. Tried googling it to no avail. Thanks
Tom Clark

They most certainly do. Within a couple of month of registering, you will get a letter saying tax is due, asking you to either pay or prove that you already have. If it is outside the state and hasn't entered the state, then no tax will be due until or unless it enters the state in the first 6 months it is owned by the Current entity. In fact, any plane that enters the state within the first 6 months of ownership by the current entity owes 6% use tax to the extent that exceeds the rate paid in the state of ownership.

Georgia?

Good info Jesse. Anyone have this info for Georgia? I plan on moving there next year from Cal. My plane will be flying prior to moving, and if the same 6 month arrival issue applies i will need to do some planning.

From my experience with Florida, be more proactive. When I bought my preowned RV back in 2009, I waited for Tallahassee to send me a bill. They did 4 months later with a 10% per month penalty for late payment attached!

I wrote a letter apologizing, with full payment and accrued interest. They eventually waived the penalty but that would have painful!

I started my build in Florida, then spent 2 years building out of state. Upon my return to Florida & completed my build, the state sent me a tax bill.
When I informed them of my out of state build time, they waived the tax completely. They said to just ignore the bill.

Good info Jesse. Anyone have this info for Georgia? I plan on moving there next year from Cal. My plane will be flying prior to moving, and if the same 6 month arrival issue applies i will need to do some planning.

CA info: If you purchased anything out of state, CA will expect you to pay "use tax" on them. If you receive your A/W certificate on or before Jan 1, 2017, CA will bill you for 2017 property tax (1% of value). You won't get the bill until July but you still owe it even if you've moved by then. For someone like you, if your completion date is near Jan 1, it may be worth it (1% of value) to delay A/W inspection until after Jan 1. (this won't help with the use tax, unfortunately. But the bright side is that no other state that I know of charges a higher tax than CA (9.75%) so if you only owe Georgia any amount in excess of what you paid CA you'll probably owe nothing.)

Back