What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Counterbalance weight on elevator

RVdreamin

Guys....finishing up on the tail feathers....yeah. Anyway, the counterbalance weight on the INBOARD elevators extend slight beyond the elevator flange (1/8" or less). Looking at the drawing seems to indicate the weight extends slightly beyond the inboard flange. It does not interfere with elevator travel, but does not look like to me that it should be outside of the flange. Do I need to shave some of the weight so it fits within the counterbalance rib flange or leave it alone?

Hi Jimmy,

I had the same issue, so I ground down the lead block on the disc sander a little, and also beveled the outside edges of the block just to be on the safe side. Now it sticks out by maybe 1/16". I would at least bevel the edges for peace of mind.

The weights on my elevators stick out just a bit. No interference with the HS, so I recommend leaving it as is.

Mine stuck out a bit farther than I was comfortable with so I shaved them with my vixen file and saved the shavings in a plastic bag. If I need to add weight I can melt the shavings down and use them. I wanted to make sure there was very little chance to my elevator hanging up under load, or god forbid, ice.

Back