What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight a minute...

smokyray

Well Known Member
How light and/or cheap did you build your RV? Under 1000#/$30K?

My RVX finished in 2007 did just exactly that, even in today's economically challenged world. Not bragging, just a goal I set, one I think is still viable today. Can it still be done?

Back in the day when people posted their completed RV in the RV8R that was the 2 bottom line points. I don't see that anymore in performing inspections or purchase look-sees. In fact it seems to have reversed now to how expensive their glass panel is, what autopilot they chose and how heavy their airplane is. Then they ask me what their airplane is worth is this economy and I smile and say, "not as much as you think". For us "seasoned builders" out there who bought our kits from North Plains and did alot of hole drilling, weight and cost savings was key.

I would like to see how many future RVers out there could match the past challenge. Purchasing slightly used parts online, a used engine, minimum fluff and light weight makes for a really good flying airplane and a happy wallet. BTW, those RV3's and RV4's we all built back in the 80's and 90's are still the best buy in the marketplace...

What say you, a under 1000#/$30K RV possible today?

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
...{snip}...
What say you, a under 1000#/$30K RV possible today?

V/R
Smokey

Under 1,000 lbs? I'm game. Under $30k, that'll be tough! What does your panel look like? How soon before that used engine gets overhauled?

I'm building an -8. My goal is under 1,000lbs and under $50k. I'm planning on going with a mid-time engine, fixed pitch prop and a basic panel.

I'd love to see a pic of your panel!

Last edited:
Maybe a 3 or a 4 , but a 7,8,or 9.. no way. Van's standard RV-7 kit is $21510 today. Throw in engine, avionics, interior, prop and all the misc stuff you'll need and your 30k number is toast.

I'd even be willing to guess that doing a 3 or a 4 would be almost impossible unless you got some serious bartering skills, own an engine shop, or know the guys from American Pickers real well.

It's not just the RV community that have moved away from light and simple: the EZ/Cozy crowd did the exact same thing as have the Glasairs and Lancairs. My IFR LongEZ weighs 914# with an O-320

I don't know what a good target weight will be for my 14 as Van's hasn't "weighed in" with their TD version yet, but I will put a stake in the ground and say that my 14 will weigh less than Van's tail dragger 14. I'll be fanatical about weight. Unlike composites, there isn't much to lose on primary structure, so it will be systems, paint and interior that will be on weight watchers from day 1.

$$$ -that may be a different story :D

If you buy your kit new from Van's keeping it under 30k is going to be the tougher challenge. If I was looking to take Smokey's challenge, I'd look for an airframe that's partially completed for sale. I see some real bargains occasionally (10-15k). I think 30k is likely very doable with this approach and a VFR stack.

The engine will need to be used, not new or rebuilt and likely an O-320.

A very functional stack could be centered around a GRT Sport EFIS, an Icom radio, a transponder, and a Garmin panel mounted GPS like the 695. In terms of VFR flying, this panel will do anything and could drive an AP, if it fit the budget. Many of these items are available used but even new they may not break the goal if you get a good price on the airframe and engine.

Depending on your scrounging skills, I think 30k is still possible but you're going to have to be patient. 35k should be easy.

The fellow who built my RV-6 got pretty close on weight... 1013 lbs. If only the Dynon D-10 would've hit the market a year or so earlier, then the plane might've been built without a vacuum system and two heavy gyro instruments. That combined with a lighter weight alternator and an Odyssey battery instead of the big heavy Concorde sealed battery would brought the weight to under 1000 lbs easily for sure, but it would then have even more potential aft CG issues with baggage loaded. As to the under $30K... no way, a brand new Lycoming factory engine plus the cost of the slow-build kit itself was already well north of that target.

Doing the under 1000 lbs today is still very achievable, especially with the new EFISs and other avionics available, but the cost today of even used engines and propellers would make the $30K target even harder to meet.

Last edited:
RV-4 ; 955/26K

I built my with cost and weight being carefully monitored. Took a while paying it forward, but it weighs in at about 955 lbs., and cost a little less than 26K. Basic VFR steam guage panel , elec flaps and trims, leather seats (home rolled), and single color paint. I am running a Lyco O-320H2AD that a picked up for a song, then did a full overhaul (yellow tagged) myself. I bought a used Sterba prop and re-finished it. Nothing fancy, just a clean,light fun machine..as it was designed to be.

I'd even be willing to guess that doing a 3 or a 4 would be almost impossible unless you got some serious bartering skills, own an engine shop, or know the guys from American Pickers real well.

I would bet that the guy who built the RV-3 that I had for awhile (completed in '97) didn't spend 20K. He bought a very old, partially-completed kit, built his own engine mount, and generally didn't buy any components from Vans that could be self-fabricated with basic skills and without fancy equipment. Engine was an O-290G (converted GPU engine) that he re-built himself, and with the exception of a g-meter and a single CHT, the panel was truly J-3 simple. Wood prop. No electrics. And guess what - 690 lbs. empty. Sweetest flying airplane I've ever flown.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I can get my RV-3B done under 1,000 pounds, even with an O-320 and an autopilot.

The trick will be getting it under 900 pounds with paint.

Dave

As to the under $30K... no way, a brand new Lycoming factory engine plus the cost of the slow-build kit itself was already well north of that target.

t.

Rob said a "Used" engine. We had less than $10,000 in our self-overhauled O-360 for the 6A.

Best,

19K in my RV-6 rebuild. 180/constant speed including avionics and instruments.

No glass for me, get along fine without it.

1,000#/30K

Building cheap is alive and well, at least among us bottom feeders.

My goal is to complete my -8 for 35K. I have purchased the kit from Van's, but most other components used. Used engine, prop with polished spinner, hooker harness's, throttle quadrant, baffle, air box, radio, transponder, instruments, etc.. One of my best finds was an old school DJM throttle quadrant with the wood knobs. I have contacted Dayton at DJM to see if he could help me assemble a back seat lever to match this quadrant. Finding the parts is more fun than building the airplane.

Cost seems easier to control than weight. It today's world of avionics, much of the new equipment is lighter than the older equipment. I am resisting the urge to spend more money to save weight. I still hope to have a relatively light weight airplane, but we shall see.

I'm upto around $90K for my -9A, but building cheap wasn't a factor for me. Building light is.

I'm yet to weigh mine, but I'm hoping for <1,000Lbs, a bit of foam for the seat cushions, a little paint to hide the pink cowl but polished elsewhere, single 10"SkyView, Xcom VHF, dual P-Mags and an ECI OX-340-S, derated to use Mogas and one of those fan-dangled Sensenich ground-adjustable props.

...and one of those fan-dangled Sensenich ground-adjustable props.

That'll definitely help save on the weight... similar installed weight to a typical wood prop, not to mention all the weight it removes from your wallet too :D
(see my .sig)

I love trying to save money on my -7. I was shooting for under $40K but my good deal mid time engine became a full overhaul so I didn't really manage to save any money there. I'm almost regretting the hole in the pannel where they Skyview will go....the plane I'm renting while I save the cash for it has a 4 pack of steam guages and I don't mind it at all. Got a used Sterba prop for $400 (13 hrs on it I think?) and a dynon A-200 for free. Plan to paint fiberglass only at least for the first years. I'm definitely shooting for under 1,000 lbs. People forget that these are toys....and airplanes are (or can be) very simple machines.

I've seen several -6 kits and the occasional -7 on other websites at some phase of construction going for amazing deals. If a guy could pick one of those up and keep it simple....I bet you could get dang close to $30K if you don't paint and keep a smart eye out for a used engine. Some luck would have to be involved maybe.....

I know where a person could get a very healthy jump on a under $30K RV-4. This one can probably be bought for $20K. midtime O-320, new prop and some instrumentation. just needs finished

1358639399248_zps953bc792.jpg

1358639397573_zps05a4a6e1.jpg

I completed my RV-6A three years ago in Aug 2010 and it came in at 996 lbs and approx $25k. The engine was a high time O-320-H2AD that I put new cam, lifters, bearings and bolts for total of $5k (cylinders only had 460 hrs on them). I used a wood prop $700. I have since put an additional $4k in it by installing a Dynon D100 with a two axis autopilot. This a VFR only plane.

IMG_5044.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my -6A was considerably more than 30k, but its empty weight was just over 1,000# (1,050#)...does that help?

Jim Bower
N143DJ

Empty weight on my 6 is 999lb. VFR steam gauges and a D10A, leather seats, no paint.

Don't know what it cost to build, but I paid more than 30K for it... :p

when i read this the first thing i think about is safety. as long as one does their do diligence in obtaining good used parts, awesome! long will be forgotten of that good deal when something stops working and all you think about is surviving. keep it light and safe!

An easy answer

I think this discussion is just about as silly as the nose vs. tailwheel argument. The real beauty of an EAB is the freedom to make it what we want. We get to define what "fun" is.
My RV4 is 940 lbs empty weight. I want it light and fast. I want to fly upside down at will and the flight has been no "fun" for me unless there is 3 Gs on the G-meter when I land (on my GRASS strip). The main "instrument" in my panel is an Ipad.
So you can see, I have my idea of what is fun, but I certainly wouldn't want to dictate that to anyone else, or taunt any builder into light and cheap. Heck, I've even been told that your EAB doesn't have to be a Van's aircraft to be fun.

Long live EAB!!

Jim
N444JT

I'm not sure we need to be encouraging folks to build RVs for under $30K. While many could do so without compromising safety, I have great concern for those who would cut corners and end up with a dangerous aircraft.

lighten up (get it)

I really doubt that this thread is going to cause anyone to do anything differently than they have already done or are planning on doing in the future! It was a fun topic that I'm enjoying. Always someone crashing the party.

The trend

I think the question asked by the OP was based upon the fact that many of the homebuilts being built today are equiped with the latest, greatest expensive equipment, engines and props.

The only reason I have ever shared my goals is to encourage builders that do not have the resources to build a 100K airplane. I contend that building and owning can still be a relatively affordable sport.

I also notice some that some of the expensive airplanes are completed but then offered for sale a year or two later. I can't help but wonder if some of those people could have kept their airplanes if they had less money tied up in the finished product.

I finished my 6A last year. The weight was 1,018 lbs, and I had about $35,000 in it. Got a good used 0-320 for $7,000 that needed some top end work and accessories. Bought a fixed pitched Sensenich. Have not painted it. Had about $8,000 in the panel for Phase 1. It is night VFR. The kit prices were lower in the 1990's when I started, but some things are cheaper. I think you could do it for $40K today.

One of the nice things about building is that you can pay as you go and not have to borrow the money. I didn't count the money I spent on a shop, or, the improvements to the plane once I started flying. For me it was all worth it. Building was fun... flying is great! John

I've done everything I could to keep the weight down, consistent with strength and safety. My RV-8 weighed about 1100lbs with steam gauges plus a Dynon D-10a.
I have a bare interior with Oregon Aero seats, polished aluminum, and a wood prop.
My goal was $35,000, but I honestly lost count, it's probably over $40,000.
I may end up painting it, the sun's reflection off the wing can be a real distraction!
I think it would be pretty difficult to build an RV-7 or RV-8 under 1,000#.

In 2001 I finished my plane. If I leave out the engine, prop and instrument panel, it came in at just under $30k. I did all the work, including painting, meaning nothing hired out. Every receipt was kept and added up. The basic long build kit was something like $15k, and the misc. stuff was somewhere near $14k. One would have to get a lot of free stuff to build one for under $30k, or use creative accounting:eek:

If I wanted under 1k pounds and under $30k I would've built a Sonex!

All kidding aside, I'm building my -7 to be a (hopefully) very capable IFR cross-country machine that I can use for occasional acro. Since I love technology, used steam gauges aren't going to cut it for me. I'm guessing I could get close to $30k with all the fun stuff I'd love to put in the panel!

I'm not sure we need to be encouraging folks to build RVs for under $30K. While many could do so without compromising safety, I have great concern for those who would cut corners and end up with a dangerous aircraft.

This is exactly the culture that seems pervasive here. That one must have a glass panel, a new engine, etc. I sure as heck don't cut corners, in fact quite the opposite almost to a fault. I could build an A-65 Continental-powered RV via a second or third hand kit, whiskey compass an altimeter, and that would be a huge leap in performance over many popular GA airplanes most fly, and just as safe if not more safe. Safety has nothing to do with how much $$ one spends building an airplane.

Smokyray knows!

Smokyray knows what flies best. He's even talked me into a tailwheel! I'm following his mantra and building my 9 light and cheap. The key is buying used. I bought a used engine and prop combo that he had on his RVX...a light O-320 that included all major firewall forward components. I'll shop around and find good used avionics as well. I don't think I'll get the final cost below $30K...more likely for around $45K, but I will keep it right at around 1000 pounds.

Mike

not quite.....

......but close.
My RV9A came in at 34k with paint and weighed #1081. Not sure you could build one with a 160hp and come in under #1000. Lot's of used parts: Engine, prop, GPS/COM, transponder, ELT, six pack of steam gages, built my own interior.
Engine instruments all Vans steam gages.
Now over 1200 hours of fun and adventure!

Last edited:
Reference my post #19 of this thread. I started my kit in 1993 taking 17+ years to complete with the total airframe cost of $13,300. With the prices of the kits nowdays staying under 30k would be tight and you would be scouring the internet for the low cost of all components.

I can't help but throw in a few comments here, too. I'm building a 7A and I can't imagine how one could do it for less than $30K. As someone already pointed out, the kits from Vans now cost over $22K, and I'm talking slow build. And that doesn't include shipping and crating! Perhaps if you pick up a partially completed kit somewhere for a huge discount, and scrounge for used stuff you might come closer. The key is getting lucky with the engine. Have you priced new ones lately? You can spend more on the engine than on the entire kit. They're well over $20K just on the engine. The demand for engines these days makes it hard to find used ones at a bargain. I got very lucky with my engine but still spent well over 5-figures on it. And I'm not finished... I still need an alternator, starter, exhaust system, and lots of other items. Plus a prop, instruments and radios. And nobody has mentioned supplies, or tools... you're going to spend a couple grand on the tools you need, if you're a new builder like I was. Ohhh... and what if you have a big "ooops", like I did when I cracked my first canopy? Yikes, there went a wad. I didn't plan on that.

I'm a working guy like others here, money has always been an issue with me. Nobody wants to save a buck more than me. I have scrounged, bought used stuff, taken advantage of sales whenever and wherever possible, and I have compromised on a number of things. I do everything myself. I drove down to Vans to pick up my kits and didn't even buy the crates. I realize not everyone can do that. When (and if) my plane gets painted, I'll probably do that myself, too. I can't spend $6 or $8 Grand on a paint job. So when I read something like this, I can't help but think, where did I miss it? A finished RV for $30K? Are you kidding me?

Lest anyone think I'm complaining, I'm not. I've never done anything so rewarding in my life! I'm not the fastest builder around, but I am enjoying this journey, and the pride of ownership that comes with doing something this big and this amazing. I have hammered every rivet in this airplane. I have managed to pay cash along the way for everything I've done so far. This is more important to me, than a certain dollar figure. Spreading it out over time. I'd rather take a bit longer and save up for my next purchase, than be tied to payments plus interest. One area I am choosing to spend a bit on is in my panel. If I want the latest glass panel, I'll save up for it and go for it. But it will be single-screen. And VFR. At least for now. I can see it would be fun to fly old-school, with little more than an altimeter, airspeed, and a whiskey compass. But what's your mission? This machine is our freedom vehicle. The getaway vehicle for my wife and I. We've waited all our lives to do a bit of traveling. Long cross-country trips are on our bucket list. I want situational awareness and ease of workload. I want that autopilot. But I scrounged and bought used servos. I'll install and wire my electrical and panel myself, including cutting the panel myself. I don't know how to do any of this, but I'm learning. After all, it saves money! :)

Now when it comes to saving weight, I'm all on board for that. I have carefully cut every ounce of weight whenever possible. But I don't see how a 7A can come in under 1000 lbs. unless I missed something there, too. The only comment I may make here is this. I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes. It occured to me one day while pounding rivets, that this plane will never fly by itself. The pilot is a part of the plane. Always. So why do we weigh just the plane? The weight number that really matters is the weight of the aircraft plus the weight of the pilot. So the quickest way to shave a lot of weight off of the flying aircraft is to look in the mirror. We're not talking ounces here, we're talking many pounds! I wasn't happy with what I saw. I had a gut to lose. That comes right off the gross weight of the flying plane! It was then that I realized the futility of shaving an ounce here and an ounce there, if I didn't also, at the same time, do something about the pilot. I realized the easiest way to lighten up the whole package is to lose my gut! So thanks to this airplane and our future dreams, my wonderful wife has joined me in a new health kick that we're on. Not to cause thread drift, so I won't go into detail. But I lost many pounds off of my gut and she has lost a fair amount herself. And the added benefit of better health is the hope of keeping the medical much longer, since we're both about to enter our 7th decade. :) Bottom line... I wouldn't be this healthy now if it wasn't for the newfound motivation that came from this wonderful project! Is that thread drift? We are talking about weight here. :)

So, I am very grateful to Van and his team, for creating these marvelous kits, and to the whole homebuilding community, and VAF. What it has given an ordinary guy like me, is a ticket or pathway to aircraft ownership, and the wonderful lifestyle that aircraft ownership brings to you, by being able to build it myself. If not for kits and homebuilding, the traditional pathway to aviation, that is, buying a finished certified airplane, especially one with this kind of performance, would be completely out of reach for me.

In 2001 ...... If I leave out the engine, prop and instrument panel, it came in at just under $30k.....

I don't understand what all you could do to the basic -6A airframe to double the cost of the kit prices, considering you didn' include the instrument panel or firewall forward. I need to look at my kit parts list, but if I remember correctly I only had 13,300 including shipping in my -6A kit total (had to provide proof to the tax man for sales tax).

Last edited:
Actually some of the easiest weight savings on sport airplanes can be achieved by pilots not gaining excessive weight by over indulging in caloric intake. The truth of the matter is it would be easier to lose a few personal pounds than to shave more weight from an already light airframe. A lean mean fighting machine deserves that from us.

I don't understand what all you could do to the basic -6A airframe to double the cost of the kit prices, considering you didn' include the instrument panel or firewall forward. I need to look at my kit parts list, but if I remember correctly I only had 13,300 including shipping in my -6A kit total (had to provide proof to the tax man for sales tax).

Well, it did add up to about what I said, give or take (I didn't go look it up, but the numbers are about right). For those who have ALL the receipts, take your total and subtract engine, prop and panel, and report back here. My plane cost me $75k between 93 and 01. Seats were only part made by someone else, perhaps $1200 IIRC. Engine was around 20k, panel 20k-ish, prop/gov 6k or so.

The price is the challenge, as stated earlier. The weight thing is the same as the extra weight many of us lug around with us.

I my case, budget was an issue and so was weight. When my -9 first flew, it weighed in at 990 lbs, unpainted.

The cost was something else altogether. My original engine (O-290-d2) cost me $3,500 and it had less than 1000 hours TT and zero since major.

Options were plentiful and I focused on putting light accessories in (Catto prop, dual P-mags, light weight starter, etc.) but the major thing was starting the lightest kit Van's makes, a tip-up taildragger.

Other things included A Dynon D100 EFIS and D10 EMS, Garmin 496, DJM center throttle, Andair fuel valve, and more.

While I could have worked the cost down, at the time you couldn't buy used EFIS's and I didn't want steam gauges. The 496 was brand new as were the P-mags.

It comes down to what you want to fly behind. In my case it worked out, I had a delightfully light airplane to fly. Later on I replaced the O-290 with an O-360, the D100 & D10 were replaced by a 10" SkyView, the airplane was painted, installed leather Classic Aero side panels, auto pilot, and a few other goodies. This ballooned the empty weight up to 1068 lbs.

Listen to what the man says...

The price is the challenge, as stated earlier. The weight thing is the same as the extra weight many of us lug around with us.

It comes down to what you want to fly behind. In my case it worked out, I had a delightfully light airplane to fly. Later on I replaced the O-290 with an O-360, the D100 & D10 were replaced by a 10" SkyView, the airplane was painted, installed leather Classic Aero side panels, auto pilot, and a few other goodies. This ballooned the empty weight up to 1068 lbs.

Bill,
Here are Van's answers to the exact line of questions:
http://vimeo.com/14925548

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
I think Van's rightly stated two big points in the above interview that I certainly heard loud and clear. 1) Just build the airplane you need; don't feel the need to compete with everyone by building an airplane that has everything and is everything to everyone (over priced mostly). 2) Joint ownership is the future of general aviation, as steeply escalating costs are a reality and better to be in the game for 1/3 of the skin than sitting on the side lines.

I think it's a worthy goal for some folks to try to build as light and cheap as they can, just as much as it is for someone else to put "that something" in their plane that gives them the satisfaction they are looking for (glass, or constant speed prop, or bigger engines, etc). To each their own as long as it can be kept within the scope of the design and within reason (whatever that is). It's what the EAA was founded on after all, experimentation and something different than the average spam can.

Having said that it is fun and indeed impressive to read about what many of you guys have been able to do in this particular area as far as weight and cost goes. "Whatever floats the boat", right? Well done guys!

Last edited:
Light is right!

Having just flown a really light -8 at 1050# (mine is 1140#) I was amazed at how much of a difference 90lbs makes (5% of the gross weight of the airplane). That whole thing about building light is no joke. If you want a great flying airplane that costs less? Listen to guys like Smokey.

Now I need to put my Contrary Mary on a diet!

An easy example of a light aircraft is to notice how nice your RV flies and handles when the fuel tanks are low, like 10 gallons left. That would be 168# less than with full tanks on a 6.

Creative Accounting

In 2001 I finished my plane. If I leave out the engine, prop and instrument panel, it came in at just under $30k. I did all the work, including painting, meaning nothing hired out. Every receipt was kept and added up. The basic long build kit was something like $15k, and the misc. stuff was somewhere near $14k. One would have to get a lot of free stuff to build one for under $30k, or use creative accounting:eek:

I think some of builders have a habbit of loosing small dollar receits but they add up. I kept as many receipts as I could and put them in a box then added them up after the building was done and I had over 32k in my RV3. But I wanted stuff like cabin heat, transponder, radio, G-meter, ADI, HID Landing light, LED wing tip Lights, GPS, stall warning buzzer and light, you know all those extras that make flight easy and safe. I was shocked to see how much I spent but it was over an eleven year period so it did not seem like a lot at any one time, just a lot of small receits. My engine was only 250.00 from a scrap yard but by the time I got it running I could have easily purchased a mid-time Lycoming. Sure was fun to build though... I'm still having fun with it. I am currently designing a new propeller hub.

My total cost was just over $30,000

I had made a statement in post #19 that said my total cost was under $30,000. I lied just a bit, it was just a little over $30,000 (see below).

airframe (including crating) (new) $13,809
engine $2,800
cam $875
lifters (new) $1,000
grt EIS 4000 (new) $1,100
instruments $250
a200 (new) $600
kt76a $750
area500 (new) $800
prop (new) $700
elt (new) $150
encoder (new) $200
intercom (new) $200
starter/alt/regulator (new) $550
Dynon D100 with autopilot (new) $4,100
Paint/polish/supplies (new) $500
Misc - stuff from Vans, wiring,
hoses, eng controls, etc (new) $2,500
TOTAL $30,884

My final weight came in at 996 Lbs.

image_zps0ce28129.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

Home brewed Dynon AOA probe (note: blade probe is now gone)

IMG_5889.jpg

I believe that my dollar amount is pretty darn close since I don't have a copy of every little purchase, but it isn't off by far if I am off.

Last edited:
another way to make it cheaper...

My goal for my RV-7 has been light weight from the beginning. I'm basically building an airframe and putting an engine on it! I'm not planning on any lighting since I will never fly it at night, and I will paint the inside of the cabin so there's no need for an expensive interior.

As far as expenses, there's another method of keeping costs down that no one has mentioned yet. I started a couple of very small online businesses making RV and kitplane stickers and also custom airplane illustrations. It doesn't bring in a whole lot of money, but the little money it does make goes into the "RV Fund".

I kind of look at it as 'free' money since it's not coming from my job. Has anyone else thought outside the box and come up with other ways to help pay for their airplane?

yes still possible

I purchased my rv-3 about 16 years... maybe more.. ago and started collecting parts. Restored a basket case '63 C150 and a Stearman, and a '47 v-tail bonanza. sold everything except the c-150 and a c-140 started putting the rv-3 together about a year and a half ago and I am almost done..I see the light at the end of the tunnel. With a 0320 purchased and a new Hartzell prop I am into the power train 12.5 and when done she will be under the 1000# mark and somewhere just over (or under) 20 thou. Not bad. I have had fun reading this thread! Only one thing.... Does birthday and christmas gifts get added to the total?:D
Keep the posts coming.. they're GREAT!

20 years ago....

... When my dad and I built our -3 total cost of kit was $4,995.00, and about $1,500.00 for finish kit.:eek: Found an old Tri-pacer for $3,000.00, removed engine, and instruments, re-sold airframe for $2,500.00.:D Sent engine out for new jugs and valves, (can't remember cost). My brother painted the plane. Misc. parts total, $1,000.00 (give or take).

Total Weight 742lb, painted.

Total cost: $7,995.00 + or - a few

20 Years of some of the best flying around: priceless!:D:D:D

Now I am close to finishing my -4. Total invested, less engine $19,900.00, already have engine lined up, cost, FREE. Does it work, yes. I will have it checked, then installed. As far as weight goes, don't know yet, but I am not going fancy, just light.

I learned the fine art of scrounging from my father. Thanks dad!:D

Back