What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The coolest Pitot Cover

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
I knew I was building a way-cool aircraft, because it's an RV, and RVs are way cool.

However, I now declare my RV-7A AWESOME!

Since we got the wings on....
FP04122014A00012.jpg

...I could install the Dynon pitot/AOA probe:
FP04122014A0001L.jpg

But you've got to cover that probe to keep the critters out:
FP04122014A0001M.jpg

If you read closely, that remove-before-flight pitot cover's labeling reads MCDONNELL US. I have saved that pitot cover since the day I last flew an F-4 Phantom in the USAF: It was an F-4F with the 20th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB NM in March 2003. I knew some day I'd build and fly my own experimental, and my maintenance folks wanted me to have this cover to lend the spirit of Double Ugly to my future surly bond slipper. And here it is.

AWESOME!! :cool:

Last edited:
Flash back

Way cool Sid. This was a flash back for me... had not heard the "Double Ugly" nickname in a long long time. We are still building here in Tidewater and getting close. I'm calling for my 9A DAR inspection before the first of the year and Steve is getting close also.

My first post on VAF. Very cool memento of your Rhino days!

Did you know Harry "D-Day" Daye during your tour there?

Craig

D'oh!

I just wasn't thinking ahead when I quietly disappeared from the AF without bringing any mementos! Now I'd kill for a T-38 ejection seat pin, or an F-111 pitot cover. Well done, Phantom man. I'll just have to keep an eye on eBay!

I just wasn't thinking ahead when I quietly disappeared from the AF without bringing any mementos! Now I'd kill for a T-38 ejection seat pin, or an F-111 pitot cover. Well done, Phantom man. I'll just have to keep an eye on eBay!

So I guess telling you the "REMOVE TO ARM" streamer from an AIM-9 missile I have would make you jealous? :D

That's awesome! My 130 unit has done the same thing (although I don't fly the Herc) for my build. It's tucked away until I get to that point of the build.

When the last C-141 flight took place at Wright-Patterson we had a BIG party in one of the hangars. Lots of people and lots of tables and lots of food and drink to put on them. On each table, as a center piece, was a spare of some sort from the parts warehouse. And each had a price tag with the proceeds going to a charity (Air Force Association?), I think. It was a good deal and a lot of momentos were picked up that night. I have often wondered what the guy that bought an escape hatch ever did with it.

Did you know Harry "D-Day" Daye during your tour there?
Craig

2Blade,
I do indeed know D-Day, and drank a cold one with him earlier this Fall. A great American.

Very nice Sid - I saved (and use) a few mementoes from my old "ship" as well.... :)

Paul, knowing what your old "ship" is, well...your mementoes give my Phantom phlags a good run for the cool factor money. :cool:

Craig, welcome to VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

Thanks, Mike!

I guess now that I've ventured out of the Lurker's Closet, I need to pay some VAF dues!

Patiently awaiting the completion of mx work on the flying RV-8 I'm trying to purchase. Pre-buy found some discrepancies which are being repaired by the seller. Gives me a few weeks to get my tailwheel endorsement!

Craig

2Blade,
I do indeed know D-Day, and drank a cold one with him earlier this Fall. A great American.

Yes, he is! He's an old buddy of mine from Strike Eagle days at Luke, and a fellow SWA 737 driver. I flew his Bellanca Viking for a year or so in Phoenix before I bought my Bonanza. Can I say "Bonanza" and "Viking" on this forum?

Scroll,

I ended up with a couple of stick grips, one old style with wires hanging out of the bottom (T-Bird or Hog) and one from an F-15 A or B (canon Plug base). The wires were much easier to deal with, so it is installed on our RV-8A. The canon plug one is the beer fridge tap handle in the hangar. The fridge is a 1950 GE single door with a pink exterior and robin's egg interior, all original colors! Life is good!

Jim

It fits nice Colonel!

FP04122014A0001M.jpg

I also have an implant in the center of my panel from the old days. Some call it a Bearclock. It's about my age and it glows. I wind it every other day :)

Back