What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport SX versus Horizon HX?

yooper

Thinking of upgrading cockpit with new PFD - what would be the motivations for spending an extra $2000 for GRT Horizon HX versus Sport SX? The main difference seems to be more ports, which I don't need for my configuration.

Any other thoughts?

Tim D-T
RV-10 N52KS

Have flown with a pair of GRT Sports for 6-7 years. They are great! Other difference is the AHRS is internal to the Sport so you have to align the magnetometer to the Sport. The smaller number of ports is less of a problem today because the SX Sport supports ADS-B on the USB input (older Sports don't do this). Use the GRT worksheet to make sure you have enough ports.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS

Thinking of upgrading cockpit with new PFD - what would be the motivations for spending an extra $2000 for GRT Horizon HX versus Sport SX? The main difference seems to be more ports, which I don't need for my configuration.

Any other thoughts?

Tim D-T
RV-10 N52KS

What was said already plus....

IFR plates and charts.

Easier upgrade to. HXr (literally just move the cable over and restore settings.

And I think ARINC..

BTW, I have threthree Sports installed.

James

Call Stein and have a chat....
As others said, count serial ports carefully. You may need another one for 2020 ADSB out.
I think vertical autopilot commands are an option on the Sport? ARINC, too? I'm not sure. Both are standard on the HX.

The HX and HXr come with all of these as standard equipment, but they are extras for the Sport SX:

• ARINC-429 ($450 external module for Sport SX)
  • Vertical Commands autopilot ($400 software upgrade for Sport SX)
  • Synthetic Vision, 30 miles ($400 software upgrade for Sport SX, 10-miles)

These are available only on the HX and HXr:
  • Bluetooth capability for our Android App, which would give you remote radio tuning, flight planning on your phone, etc.
  • Ability to show charts (Seattle Avionics chart subscription or plain PFD approach plates)
  • Ability to use FLIR & other video imaging
  • Dual USB ports
  • Ethernet Inter-display (for linking other HX and HXr units)
  • Dual AHRS option

The Sport SX does come with an internal GPS receiver, so that would be an extra expense with the HX unless you already have one you want to use with it.

The Sport SX is a very capable unit that will do a ton of stuff. If you start off knowing you want to wire it to a Garmin 650 or something that requires ARINC-429 and vertical autopilot, you'll probably be happier with the HX, by the time you add the extra hardware & software. But, if you don't anticipate needing that stuff and want to add capability slowly over time, a Sport will be great. There is an EFIS features comparison chart here, for more info.

I think several folks know by now that I am pretty openly not a huge fan of the Sport EFIS for anything other than simple VFR installations (which are not typical in RV-10's). Todd/Greg/Ben and everyone knows my opinion on this, so I'll be blunt as usual. I think of it as the HX...almost! That being it does "almost" everything the HX does, but not quite. Each thing is "almost" as good as the HX, but we've been frustrated numerous times running out of ports, etc.. I'm not saying the Sport is a bad unit at all (it does have its place), I'm just saying that by the time you get all the piece parts to make the "almost" stuff "almost" as good as you need by the time you get finished, you should have just gotten the Hx(r) to begin with.

Can you make it work, certainly? Will you save a pile of money by going that way? Possibly...but for an RV10 I'd say get an Hx(R) and be done. With that airplane being what it is, even if you only make it simple VFR now, upgrading down the road or adding in goodies will/would be MUCH easier with an HX over the Sport. You may not need/want the extra stuff now, but just like you're upgrading now, there likely will be a point in the future where you (or someone with that plane) will want to upgrade it again and the Hx series are much more friendly to that task.

Hope that helps and I also hope I haven't insulted anyone with this - because I do like the GRT stuff and even the Sport in the right circumstances...I just happen to think the marketing for the Sport is sometimes mis-targeted in my opinion.

Cheers,
Stein

RV10? Go HXr!! :)

I think several folks know by now that I am pretty openly not a huge fan of the Sport EFIS for anything other than simple VFR installations (which are not typical in RV-10's). Todd/Greg/Ben and everyone knows my opinion on this, so I'll be blunt as usual. I think of it as the HX...almost! That being it does "almost" everything the HX does, but not quite. Each thing is "almost" as good as the HX, but we've been frustrated numerous times running out of ports, etc.. I'm not saying the Sport is a bad unit at all (it does have its place), I'm just saying that by the time you get all the piece parts to make the "almost" stuff "almost" as good as you need by the time you get finished, you should have just gotten the Hx(r) to begin with.

Can you make it work, certainly? Will you save a pile of money by going that way? Possibly...but for an RV10 I'd say get an Hx(R) and be done. With that airplane being what it is, even if you only make it simple VFR now, upgrading down the road or adding in goodies will/would be MUCH easier with an HX over the Sport. You may not need/want the extra stuff now, but just like you're upgrading now, there likely will be a point in the future where you (or someone with that plane) will want to upgrade it again and the Hx series are much more friendly to that task.

Hope that helps and I also hope I haven't insulted anyone with this - because I do like the GRT stuff and even the Sport in the right circumstances...I just happen to think the marketing for the Sport is sometimes mis-targeted in my opinion.

Cheers,
Stein

What Stein said ...

I missed the fact that you are talking RV10.

I wouldn't **EEEEVEN** think about putting a Sport in an RV10.

HX's or HXr's. For all the reasons mentioned.

If I had time and more space in the plane, I would CONVERT my SX installation to HX (or HXr if more space) in a heartbeat.

I started with Sport, like the Sport and eventually grew to having three of them. They are GREAT for many situations (and a very good buy) but the most growth and opportunity is in the HX series.

I thought the Sport was being discontinued. That was the word from Oshkosh last summer. Perhaps Katie can clear up what the status and future status is.

I agree with Stein that for an RV10 you'll be best off with the HXr. I have the Sport SX and love it but my plane is an RV4 that rarely punches through a cloud. The RV8 I am building has the HXr (my third build with a GRT system). Saving a few pennies will haunt you down the line and the RV10 deserves a capable IFR or easily IFR upgradable panel. If space on a retrofit is an issue then go with the HX.

I would recommend the upgrade also. I have dual Sport SX's. SX's have 5 serial ports. I just added GRT autopilot servo's thus filling my last open serial port. I have no further room to add ADS-B inputs to my displays. Therefore I am looking at Stratus II and the I-pad as an option.

The HXr system will give you better expansion options for the future.

Regards,

You CAN have your ADS-B ...

I would recommend the upgrade also. I have dual Sport SX's. SX's have 5 serial ports. I just added GRT autopilot servo's thus filling my last open serial port. I have no further room to add ADS-B inputs to my displays. Therefore I am looking at Stratus II and the I-pad as an option.

The HXr system will give you better expansion options for the future.

Regards,

ADS-B connection to the Sport can be accomplished vis the USB port.
You will need to get a powered (4-port) USB hub for about $50.

This will allow the ADS-B receiver AND your memory stick to be plugged in at the same time.

There are several available that work. I have tested at least four (4). And there are several apps that work with said receivers.

Remember though that the Stratus receiver is only for Foreflight and does NOT work with the GRT units at the moment as far as I know. Also the GDL 39 is only for Garmin Pilot and does NOT work with the GRT units at the moment as far as I know.

So .. you will need to decide if you have a preference for app and that will determine if the SAME receiver for the app will ALSO drive your GRT EFIS. Of course, you could a receiver that drove your iPad and Foreflight or Garmin Pilot and get another receiver that was permanently connected to and set to drive your GRT EFIS.

Hope this helps.

James

I thought the Sport was being discontinued. That was the word from Oshkosh last summer. Perhaps Katie can clear up what the status and future status is.

As any electronics company should, we have eventual plans for replacing the Sport, but that is way down the road. The Sport has been gaining popularity lately, now that people are learning how much it can do compared to the other EFIS systems out there in its price range. When we do replace it, we'll keep supporting it. There are dozens of our original Horizon I "WS" screens still flying. We discontinued those several years ago, but we still service them and release software updates for them when necessary.

The Sport started out as a basic VFR system, and that's how it is currently marketed-- for airplanes like the RV-3, RV-4, Panther, LSA, etc. Due to the requests of users over the years (JAMES!), we've added a lot of capability to it, so you can customize it to what you want. This is great for someone who buys an airplane with a basic Sport and they want it to do more stuff, or if they start off VFR on a tight budget, but decide later on they want to add capability and get their IFR ticket.

With a Sport system and its internal AHRS, you can only have dual AHRS if you have dual display screens. The HX(r) system is designed for flexible IFR redundancy--it can give you dual AHRS whether you have one screen or 2 or 3. In a multi-screen system, each AHRS can physically feed attitude information directly to any screen (up to 3) in case of a failure somewhere in the system.

As for serial ports and ADS-B- The older Sport HS and WS units do not have the right type of USB hardware for ADS-B data, so they require a serial connection for ADS-B. However, the Sport SX is capable of receiving ADS-B information through the USB port from the iLevil AW or SW, Radenna SkyRadar and Dual XGPS170. You'd need to install a powered USB hub, but that also expands your USB port count and enable charging for phones, iPod, etc. So, serial connection for ADS-B is not as much of a concern with newer Sport units.

Last edited:
James & Katie,

Thanks for reminding me about the USB route for ADS-B inputs. I just completed almost 4 months of having the -12 down for modifications, SB’s, and condition inspection. With the recent addition of GRT autopilot servos and having a very full avionics panel and lighting package, I am reluctant to add much more load to my little Jabiru alternator. Now I am ready to select an ADS-B system. From the standpoint of simplicity, I am more in favor of the wireless options at this time.

Regards,

Last edited:
Oh hi Tom, I should've looked at your signature!

Yeah you do have a lot of avionics in your airplane! But I've seen more stuff running off a Jabiru alternator. As long as you don't power everything on (transponder and lights, mainly) right away after engine start, it will be ok.

Back