What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AAA LED Flashlight Fire Hazard

N941WR

Legacy Member
Some time back I bought a cheap, all metal, LED flashlight at the auto parts store, identical to the one in the image below. They only cost a few bucks so I grabbed a couple of them and tossed one in the tool bag I keep I keep in the RV. Heck, you never know when you are going to be stuck on a ramp after dark, trying to sort through a problem.

While going through my tool bag the other day I pulled out the flashlight to check the batteries. (I had long ago changed out the cheap batteries it came with.) I turned on the light and it came on for a few seconds and then went out. Taping the light in my hand caused it come on and off. No big deal, so I tossed it aside to be looked at later.

Well, tonight was later. I turned it on with the same results as before. It must need three new batteries, or so I thought.

When I opened it up, I almost burned my finger on the spring that makes contact with the battery pack. What?

I put in three new batteries and tried it again, with the same results. Again I pulled the back off and touched the spring and found it extremely hot to the touch. (I know well the definition of insanity, so no need to post it here.)

Searching the internet, I found nothing that indicates these things can cause a fire but based on what I discovered this evening, it is only a matter of time until we hear more about these small incendiary devices.

9%20Bulb%20Led%20Flashlight.jpg

(Bummer, because they are impressive little flashlights.)

Hey Bill, that's funny...I bought a silver one at Harbor Freight and it does the EXACT same thing when you tap it...on, tap, off, flicker, etc. I actually even used it tonight to look underneath my car. I've had the back off of it to see what the problem was, but didn't notice the coiled wire getting hot. I'll check the next time I'm in the garage.

BTW, I really wonder if three 1.5V AAA batteries can generate enough current to make a wire hot...a 9 volt can, but even then I don't know about starting a fire with one. Hmmmm.

Lesson learned

Lesson learned: Forget that cheap Chinese-made stuff and stick to genuine Mag-Lites - made in the USA.

there when you need 'em....except.....

have also had the cheapo flashlights fail in various ways....so don't put them in mission critical emergency kits etc.
and.....I agree, hate the cost and poor life of the AAA, so put an AA maglite in my bag.
a year later, the name-brand alkaline batteries had leaked, totally ruining a $20 quality light.
added 'bonus', just like the cheapo flashlites, not there when you need it.

...what's a guy to do?

LED flash lights

I get them free at HF from time to time,If you push the lens in to the machined stop and run a bead of Crazy glue around the edge,change the battery's to Duracell there OK to walk the dog with.I remember my first night flights,my instructor kept taking my flash light away from me(I had four of them hidden all over)"you just lost your electrical,What are you going to do?""Your flashlight has gone out,Now what?"I'd pull another one out he take it,after the third one he asked if I was a Boy Scout.Why Yes,Yes I am. Plan A,Plan B,Plan C,Plan D,etc........,These days lights are cheap,small good to have more than one on board.

Bob

I remove the batteries from my headset, mp3 amp and flashlights when I leave the plane for the day. Lost many devices to corrosion and battery leaks before realizing the simple solution.

...what's a guy to do?

Try using what cops and firemen use.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/default.aspx?hid=3

This one looks like it would be a great emergency light for pilots.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=202

Lithium batteries have a long shelf life, and dont leak.

I like the strobe feature, if you go down in rough country, search aircraft should be able to see the strobe at night fairly easily.

Expensive, yes.

But, quality usually is.

I remember my first night flights,my instructor kept taking my flash light away from me(I had four of them hidden all over)"you just lost your electrical,What are you going to do?""Your flashlight has gone out,Now what?"I'd pull another one out he take it,after the third one he asked if I was a Boy Scout.Why Yes,Yes I am.

Bob

Sure hope DR doesnt have a mouth full of Dr Pepper when he reads this:rolleyes:

No problem with my ultrafire flashlight

I have a 230 lumen ultrafire (cree LED) flashlight that takes two CR-123A batteries. It's been dropped, ran over, dropped in water, and still works. Has high and low beam, and flashes SOS. I liked it so much I bought a few more.

A multiple cell (battery) flashlight has a greater potential of turning into a flare over time. That's why it's always best to carry a single cell battery in your bailout bag or tool bag. They're much less likely to light up like a torch.

Phil

Fire???

4.5 volts is enough to start a fire. One of the demonstration tricks I use in emergency and survival training is to show how to start a fire with two 1.5v
batteries and some OOO steel wool.

The problem is that the heat is sustained long enough to become a real problem!
Jim

Try this...

The S & W Light with the red & White LEDS, Miss Sandy gave me one for Crhristmas several years ago & it always performs well:D

I remember my first night flights,my instructor kept taking my flash light away from me(I had four of them hidden all over)"you just lost your electrical,What are you going to do?""Your flashlight has gone out,Now what?"I'd pull another one out he take it,after the third one he asked if I was a Boy Scout.Why Yes,Yes I am.
A friend of mine did this too... His instructor asked "where are you getting all these flashlights from?" His reply was "the same place you're getting these electrical failures from."

A friend of mine did this too... His instructor asked "where are you getting all these flashlights from?" His reply was "the same place you're getting these electrical failures from."

.....it's really fun when with all flashlights failed, you whip out and crack the emergency glowstick. Took a little while for the CFI to recover from amusement at that one. :p

Back