What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Cold Induction Sump on RV-8

dcasey1

Just hung my LyCon IO-360 M1B with Airflow Performance Horizontal Induction and Vetterman exhaust on my quick build RV-8. Looks like the lower cowl will not fit with this setup without major modification. Anybody else have this setup? Looking for suggestions on how to make it work. Thanks.

The lower cowl will fit but it takes a great deal of modification th the snorkel to make things fit. You can probably find posts with pictures showing how you have to moodify the snorkel at the FI inlet to fit.

FM-150 Install

Should fit without cowl modification. Did one here in Greenville, SC on a RV-8.

Give me a call at the shop if you have questions.

Don

Forgot to mention that I have a Superior cold induction sump. The fuel line exiting the bottom of the servo seems to be about two inches too low for the lower cowl to fit up.

FM-150 install

Turn the fuel control 90 degrees. If your standing in front of the propeller, the metered fuel outlet should be facing to the left. Both throttle and mixture levers are on the bottom. Mixture lever will probably be need to be changed to a straight lever.

Don.

Tried rotating throttle body. Still had interference with lower cowl. Solution was to cut out lower cowl to eliminate interference with throttle body and reglass. Looks great now. No regrets.

img0929mu.jpg

Last edited:
Bottom RV-8 cowl modified to to fit over Airflow Performance horizontal induction on LyCon IO360 M1S with Superior cold induction sump.

img1016w.jpg

Dave Casey
RV-8 QB

I've been wondering whether the Superior cold air sump intake flange is in same position as the standard Lycoming horizontal sump?

Seems like the FM200 with the Superior cold air sump on the -7 required a cowl mod also. It did require a mod for sure with the Y adaptor for alternate air. Maybe the snorkel could have been modified and would have fit without the Y adaptor but when I borrowed a friends snorkel for a trial fit, it did not look like the best way to go. The internal air flow to the FM200 would have been changed a lot - probably not for the better. Is the FM150 different than the FM200 size wise?

This won't address the reason for this thread, but a question for Don at AFP - would the 90? adaptor for a vertical intake place the fuel controller in a better position relative the smooth cowl?

I need to figure out how to do this with the -8 under construction. If the ram air choice is made, perhaps the Rod Bower filter is the best way to go and that may be the answer to the problem illustrated here. The cowl would have to be cut for the intake but it would be minimum invasive.

With my AP FM150 the interference was at the fuel distribution hose coming out the bottom of the throttle body. Don at Airflow graciously reinstalled a 90 degree fitting coming out of the throttle body and that help considerably but bottom cowl still would not clear. I think the Superior cold induction sump just lowers the throttle body at least an inch. Rotating the throttle body 90 degrees did not help due to interference with the control arms. The snorkel was not the problem. I actually have come to like the look of the modification to the cowl. We just refer to it as the "ball sack" mod.

Cheers

Dave

RV-8 QB

Bendix Fuel injection

Just hung my LyCon IO-360 M1B with Airflow Performance Horizontal Induction and Vetterman exhaust on my quick build RV-8. Looks like the lower cowl will not fit with this setup without major modification. Anybody else have this setup? Looking for suggestions on how to make it work. Thanks.

I did the firewall forward on a friends RV-8 with the Superior engine and cold air induction sump. Your problem is your selection of fuel injection. Van designed the forward induction cowling and snorkel for the Bendix type fuel injection. I only had to make minor mods to the snorkel. The cowling cleared everything just fine without any changes.

Danny, Check your facts

"Your problem is your selection of fuel injection."

I believe you should re-think your statement. A FM-150 is installed in Ronald Parker?s RV-8 with front sump. I can pretty much guarantee that if the plane was at our shop we can make this unit fit without modifying the cowl. I hate fiberglass work. That doesn?t mean the snorkel wouldn't have to be modified to miss the starter or something. But since the FM-150 is the same size as a RSA-5 the system should fit in the cowling.

Don

FM 150 AFP

With straight levers for the FM150 facing down,Don's fuel injection fits the smooth bottom cowl RV8 with IO390 perfectly.I have never had better customer service than what Airflow Performance provide.

One is the level of my backside if he enters it in a race

That just hurts on many levels Slammer! :p

Hey, have you shown them how nice the inside of that cowl looks yet?

Cheers,
Bob

One of these days a stock 180 is going to be trailing the pack in the RV Blue class (www.sportairrace.org) - but maybe not this year since the first race is March 31. What I can see and read of this airplane is impressive regardless of the interior, paint and avionics that will follow.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:

I believe you should re-think your statement. A FM-150 is installed in Ronald Parker?s RV-8 with front sump. I can pretty much guarantee that if the plane was at our shop we can make this unit fit without modifying the cowl. I hate fiberglass work. That doesn?t mean the snorkel wouldn't have to be modified to miss the starter or something. But since the FM-150 is the same size as a RSA-5 the system should fit in the cowling.

Don

Perhaps the install referred to was with the FM-200, not the FM-150.

I've been wondering why the FM-150 came to life at all, like is there something wrong with the FM-200? The FM-200 with purge valve is the cats meow, at least IMHO, why replace it?

Answer (maybe) the FM-150 fits under the cowl better.

Why the FM-150?

The FM-150 was designed in response to a request by Superior Air Parts (before their ?re-structuring?). They wanted a fuel control that had the same dimensions (length) and flange interface as a RSA-5 with no purge valve. Thus the design of the FM-150. You all know what happened with Superior so we got stuck with a bunch of parts again. And recent conversations with them have not indicated that this system will be the unit of choice (unless it is requested by the customer) on their experimental engines. But we will continue to market this system as a competitor to the Precision Silver Hawk system. We are currently redesigning the regulator section of this unit to take advantage of some new machining techniques.

And don?t forget. Fuel Injection 101 Class is March 2-4. Still some seats available.

Don

Snorkel on IO-360 M1S w/FM-150

With some fiberglass rework to eliminate interference with starter and alternator the snorkel fits the AP FM-150 very nicely.

img1015r.jpg

Dave Casey
LyCon IO-360 M1S (Superior Cold Induction Sump)/AP FM-150
RV-8 QB
RV-3

Check the facts

I believe you should re-think your statement. A FM-150 is installed in Ronald Parker’s RV-8 with front sump. I can pretty much guarantee that if the plane was at our shop we can make this unit fit without modifying the cowl. I hate fiberglass work. That doesn’t mean the snorkel wouldn't have to be modified to miss the starter or something. But since the FM-150 is the same size as a RSA-5 the system should fit in the cowling.

Don

Don,
I said that a Superior I0360 with the cold air induction sump with "Bendix" style fuel injection fit without cowl modification, and only minor snorkel tweaks, and I stand by that. I did the work on that aircraft.

The confusion may be in what your fuel injection unit is. Lycoming supplies their engine with a certified "Bendix" type injection. Van's prototype had that style when the snorkel was developed. Just look Van's included instructions. I understand that there is an experimental version of that system that is often used on non certified engines that looks identical to the certified system, minus the black finish. If that is your fuel injection than we are in agreement. If your system is the bigger and longer system I've seen on several projects, then there lies the problem.

I loathe to raise an old thread from the dead but its relevant to my latest question so I'm afraid I must.

I'm considering overhauling an IO-360 A1A that is missing its sump. In way of replacement, I'm considering the superior cold sump. Injection is the stock system that came on that 69 Mooney. Would the vans cowling still fit?

Last edited:
Back