What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st Grade Open Hangar Day at 52F

Walt

Well Known Member
We were delighted today to have a field trip from one of the local elementry schools stop by for a visit. We had a great time showing them the airplanes, teaching a mini class on aerodynamics, how an airplane works, engines, propellers and doing "pilot" stuff.

Nothing like a large group of young eager energetic kids to keep you on your toes for a few hours.

IMG_6678a.jpg

IMG_6681a.jpg

Above: Students and teachers arriving in droves...

IMG_6697a.jpg

Above: Kids and teachers checking out the airplanes...

IMG_6698a.jpg

Above: Class is now "Officially" in Session :confused:

IMG_6694a.jpg

Above: Explaining about the parts of the airplane and flight controls...

IMG_6706a.jpg

Above: My brother Rick helped with the show, he just had to show off his panel...

IMG_6709a.jpg

Above: Lots of questions about what all the gauges and switches are for...

IMG_6711a.jpg

Above: And of course we had to get a class shot of all the little buggars...

It really was a fun time and I couldn't have done it without the assistance of my wifey Joann and my brother Rick. I don't do the young eagle thing due to the liability, so this was my own way of helping to expose some kids to the life of aviation. Best of all the kids really seemed to have a good time, especially when the wife gave them all a bag with a some twirly prop things (donated from Tina's Pilot shop) and candy.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Walt! Glad everyone had fun. What would I'd have given to have a field trip like that when I was in first grade.... :D

Kids and airplanes!!

This is spectacular!!!! Talk about promoting GA and experimental aircraft, this is how you do it!!! Great job! Real nice facility and of course great looking RV's.

Totally unrelated but, Those kids looked so nice in their uniforms. That would solve a lot of social issues in schools if all schools required uniforms. The kids didn't look like they were bummed out having to wear them and the school did a great job of not making them look old fashioned. Great job on the open house too.

Kids...

Hey Walt,
Is that anything like herding cats?
I know working ground over here at EAA 690 Young Eagles is a real experience with 50-60 kids looking at all the "goodies". Lot's of fun though
Jerry

Back