What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Callsign?

yooper

For your APRS "callsign" does one have to use your amateur radio call letters, or can you use whatever you want?

TDT

Yoop

Anything non-vulgar, but the requirement remains to transmit your assigned callsign at least every 10 min(maybe in the comments section)

If I'm wrong - someone will correct me with the straight dope.

Typically for us pilot types, we use our n-number in the callsign section of the setup, and your FCC assigned HAM callsign in the text portion of the setup.
tracker_config.jpg

Anything non-vulgar, but the requirement remains to transmit your assigned callsign at least every 10 min(maybe in the comments section)

If I'm wrong - someone will correct me with the straight dope.

Sounds right to me.

I was also wondering about the last transmission right before you stop transmitting APRS. I think the rule is you have to ID yourself in the last transmission. But if you set up the APRS to transmit your callsign say every fourth time or even every other time, then you are likely not going to transmit your callsign on the last transmission unless you have your FCC callsign in the Callsign box (which transmits every time) instead of the Text box (which you can set the frequency.)

Comments?

This is highly technical also, but you are not permitted to use the callsign "Yooper" unless you are a full time resident of Michigan's upper peninsula. All individuals living south of the Straits or having previously moved from the UP are properly identified as "Trolls", i.e., they live "under" the bridge.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Sounds right to me.

I was also wondering about the last transmission right before you stop transmitting APRS. I think the rule is you have to ID yourself in the last transmission. But if you set up the APRS to transmit your callsign say every fourth time or even every other time, then you are likely not going to transmit your callsign on the last transmission unless you have your FCC callsign in the Callsign box (which transmits every time) instead of the Text box (which you can set the frequency.)

Comments?

If this is something of concern, just send the text comments with FCC callsign with every beacon.

UPers

Terry,

You mean I have to change all of my usernames from "yooper" to "yooper_in_exile" or "former_yooper" now?

I won't use "Troll" since I'm in Massachusetts now. How about "yooper_ambassador"?

TDT

Back