What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS in RV-10 cabin?

yooper

Has anyone tried mounting an APRS transmitter and antenna under the fiberglass cabin roof of an RV-10? If coverage is okay, would be easier to access than wingtip. Wondering about coverage below, although maybe it would only effect APRS stations that were pretty much right below you. Thoughts? Experiences? Maybe I'll just have to try it . . .

TDT

Would probably work!

Altitude really helps get the signal out and if the station is right below you, there are others off the the sides that would probably pick you up.

Just make sure the antenna is away from any metal (if using a non-groundplane like the j-pole.) or run a coax to a belly whip.

To really get the questions going at the fly in, mount a DDRR on the roof!

DDRR%20005.jpg

Let us know what you find.

Has anyone tried mounting an APRS transmitter and antenna under the fiberglass cabin roof of an RV-10? If coverage is okay, would be easier to access than wingtip. Wondering about coverage below, although maybe it would only effect APRS stations that were pretty much right below you. Thoughts? Experiences? Maybe I'll just have to try it . . .

TDT

Doug Preston is running an APRS rig in his -10 that has the little 19" whip velcroed to a windshield post. It works quite well in all areas except those with very sparse digipeater population (some areas of the desert SW USA).

If I was building a -10, I would embed a J-pole into the fiberglass roof the same way the plastic airplane builders hide their antennae. :)

Back