What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Ventilation; Adding Snap Vents

Geico266

Well Known Member
I like a lot of air when I fly, goes back to my ultra light days I guess. Anyway, do you guys see any problem with adding snap vents in the door windows? I like to have one blowing in and one turned to exhaust the incoming air. They work great for hot weather flying in closed cockpits of "ultra lights" / sport planes. I'm pretty sure they would work great for RV's, but before cutting into the windows :eek: I thought I would ask the crew.

Aircraft Spruce = MODEL F325A Large tabs on lower flange and tapered profile make this vent
ideal for higher airspeeds. Mounts in 3-1/4” opening in plastic windshield or metal
cowling. P/N 13-03813 ..................$23.40/pr.

Any other venting ideas for finished aircraft?

Last edited:
Got one in my Super Cub, works great. I don't know what the increase air speed would do to one though?

Got one in my Super Cub, works great. I don't know what the increase air speed would do to one though?

They make them for high speed also. I'm not sure what they look like, but they are advertised;"Perfect for higher speeds." I was hoping someone has used them in an RV.

Last edited:
I did see a recently finished -10 with them but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Within the last few months.

I'm adding the accuracry avionics overhead console to the canopy which brings in extra airlfow from to rear NACA scoops which get added aft of the baggage compartment. I just ordered it but I'm hoping for additional airflow for the rear and front pax.

There were some pictures posted on vansairforce.net of a couple of planes out of the paint shop and one was the bird with extra window vents. I posted an inquiry on Matronics and got this reply from Don.Orrick @ yahoo.com :

Tim, I saw your request for information about the windows on my plane. I sent them to LPaero (www.lpaero.com) and they cut them for me. You can get the size, shape and location you want and they have two styles of hinges/latches to choose from. However they were nearly $400 for both. Since just about all they work on are certified windows they charge like they are certified windows. Talk to George Mesarak. Hope to see you at Oshkosh this year. Don Orrick

I was thinking more of an air scoop thing that you can turn into or away from the airstream depending on weather you want to have air flowing in or out. I know someone has to have done it, I can't be the first.

On Discovery Channel "A Chopper is Born" they show the installation of round vents into the door perspex. Very simple - push/pull for open and turn for direction. Not sure how it would stand up to RV speeds though!

Could try getting in touch with Rotorway for more info.

I considered putting them in while I was building due to my experience in certified airplanes with miserable air flow. Now I am glad that I did not do it. I think the RV-10 has a huge amount of air flow with the stock setup. I have the aluminum vents from Van and you get a pretty good amount of air on the ground from the propwash and I have to close them down some in flight or there is just too much air. I don't know how effective people find the rear seat air vents.

$.02 worth

Back