What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Restrictions - first 25 hrs Canada

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
I’m getting close to finishing my RV14 and wondering what the standard constraints Transport Canada places on the restricted C of A during the initial 25 hrs. I understand no pax, day VFR but are you allowed to land at other airports other than home field or any distance limitations?

Thanks Jim

Standard restrictions are for a 25 NM radius from home base. You can land at any airport within.

For practical reasons, you can apply to TC for a modified or extended corridor. Reasons include busy airspace, open water, terrain or altitude limitations. They charge you for this.

V

But they may not give you an expanded corridor until after you have 5 trouble free hrs in the log book. Bevan

Standard restrictions are for a 25 NM radius from home base. You can land at any airport within.

For practical reasons, you can apply to TC for a modified or extended corridor. Reasons include busy airspace, open water, terrain or altitude limitations. They charge you for this.

V

Modified 25 hr period.

Jim,

I applied to TC to have the 25Nm limit extended to 50Nm.

Wasn’t a problem.

Don

IIRC, on my first plane, the MD-RA inspector stated I could only take off & land at my home base (& have followed suit this way with flight testing follow up planes). That was many years ago, it may be different now?

Does anyone still have the Operating Conditions from their initial CofA issued by MD-RA? Are they listed as what I found on the TC site just now?

Part V - Standard 507 Schedule 1 - Matrix of Aircraft Operating Conditions

Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) 2019-1
Content last revised: 1996/10/10
Matrix of Aircraft Operating Conditions
(1) The following conditions are applicable to any flight authority other than a certificate of airworthiness; this includes, but is not limited to, a special certificate of airworthiness, a flight permit, or the validation of a foreign flight authority:
Information Note
The numbering of the special conditions and operating limitations detailed below corresponds with the numbering of the special conditions and operating limitations listed in the matrix of Schedule 1.

As listed under the heading:
Amateur - Built Initial Issue

9 Day VFR only;
20 The aircraft can only operate from a base indicated by Transport Canada in order to provide the highest degree of safety for the operation of the aircraft;
21 The aircraft shall not be operated (flown) more than 25 nautical miles from the base mentioned in (20) except with written authority of the Regional Director Aviation Licensing , (specify region) Region, which will be provided, taking into account the safety of the flight;
22The aircraft shall not be flown over any built-up area, or open air assembly of persons;
23 Carriage of persons other than for dual instruction is prohibited (not to be used for single seat aircraft);
24 Aerobatic flight is prohibited (not to be used for balloons);
25 During the first 5 hours of flight, the aircraft can only be flown by pilots who have acquired not less than 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time in powered aircraft (not to be used for gliders, gyroplanes, or balloons);
26 Aircraft is to be registered for "Private Purposes" only;
31 The side of the aircraft fuselage is to be placarded, in a place that is readily visible to persons entering the aircraft, in letters at least 3/8 inch in height and of a colour that contrasts sharply with the background on which they are shown, in both official languages, as follows: NOTICE: THIS AIRCRAFT IS OPERATING WITHOUT A CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS.

& yes, I've heard of a number of folks that got TC to extend their 25 Nautical condition

Last edited:
I don't have mine handy but it looked something like that. I don't read the "can only operate from a base indicated" condition as not allowing landing at another airport in your prescribed zone. In my reading of it, I could use another airport, but I could not base out of there. I did in fact use the Lacombe airport in my test area but returned to my base at Red Deer at the end of the operations in Lacombe. Particularly handy if you are based at a busy airport and want to do some testing in the circuit.

Again, this is how I read it, and I am in no way an expert. Just relating my experience.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Being based 17 miles west of Toronto Pearson with class “C” airspace starting 1800’ AGL present challenges trying to conduct initial flight testing.

Cheers Jim

Last edited:
Talk to Toronto Center about getting higher altitudes. I bet they will work with you depending on their traffic

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Being based 17 miles west of Toronto Pearson with class “C” airspace starting 1800’ AGL present challenges trying to conduct initial flight testing.

Cheers Jim

Similar issues for me with my 7. Flying out of CNC3 Brampton in the 2500' cutout. I climbed to 2500' and did a few orbits around the field early one morning. Called Terminal asking for higher once it looked like all was well with the engine and plane. He would only give me 3500' but it was better than nothing.

My understanding was that I was only allowed to operate from my home base and could not land anywhere else (unless in an emergency).

One of the guys got his 25nm restriction extended after 5 hrs with no issue. I didn't bother. Just flew the 25 off in a few weeks.

Found it

Found my email to Paul Baldasaro and Jeff Langford at Transport to extend the flight testing parameters, which was approved.

I also have the special c of a operating conditions as well,

Send me your email and I’ll forward it to you as well.

DP

TC cleared me to land at another airport just outside the 25 mile radius. I forget the process to get this but it wasn’t a big deal.

Email

Jim,

PM me your email and I’ll forward you the emails, responses, and approved restrictions I received..

Don

MDRA

Transport sets the conditions, not the MDRA.

Don

IIRC, on my first plane, the MD-RA inspector stated I could only take off & land at my home base (& have followed suit this way with flight testing follow up planes). That was many years ago, it may be different now?

Does anyone still have the Operating Conditions from their initial CofA issued by MD-RA? Are they listed as what I found on the TC site just now?

Part V - Standard 507 Schedule 1 - Matrix of Aircraft Operating Conditions

Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) 2019-1
Content last revised: 1996/10/10
Matrix of Aircraft Operating Conditions
(1) The following conditions are applicable to any flight authority other than a certificate of airworthiness; this includes, but is not limited to, a special certificate of airworthiness, a flight permit, or the validation of a foreign flight authority:
Information Note
The numbering of the special conditions and operating limitations detailed below corresponds with the numbering of the special conditions and operating limitations listed in the matrix of Schedule 1.

As listed under the heading:
Amateur - Built Initial Issue

9 Day VFR only;
20 The aircraft can only operate from a base indicated by Transport Canada in order to provide the highest degree of safety for the operation of the aircraft;
21 The aircraft shall not be operated (flown) more than 25 nautical miles from the base mentioned in (20) except with written authority of the Regional Director Aviation Licensing , (specify region) Region, which will be provided, taking into account the safety of the flight;
22The aircraft shall not be flown over any built-up area, or open air assembly of persons;
23 Carriage of persons other than for dual instruction is prohibited (not to be used for single seat aircraft);
24 Aerobatic flight is prohibited (not to be used for balloons);
25 During the first 5 hours of flight, the aircraft can only be flown by pilots who have acquired not less than 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time in powered aircraft (not to be used for gliders, gyroplanes, or balloons);
26 Aircraft is to be registered for "Private Purposes" only;
31 The side of the aircraft fuselage is to be placarded, in a place that is readily visible to persons entering the aircraft, in letters at least 3/8 inch in height and of a colour that contrasts sharply with the background on which they are shown, in both official languages, as follows: NOTICE: THIS AIRCRAFT IS OPERATING WITHOUT A CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS.

& yes, I've heard of a number of folks that got TC to extend their 25 Nautical condition

Here was my email to transport

Good morning Darryl,

I appreciate the time you have taken to respond to me about my request.

I'm a rule guy.....I abide by the rules. I enforce the rules whether it is in my job or secondary activi

However, I do understand that in some cases, rules that are in black and white sometimes need to be reviewed if they are outdated and not applicable to the current timelines and situation.

I'm not certain, but when the rules were created in relation to homebuilt aircraft back in the day, there may not have been the foresight of homebuilts cruising at 200mph or higher such as the RV and Lancair type of homebuilts.

The geographical area that I am currently in Oshawa presents some barriers in flight testing. As an example, anywhere to the south and west of the airfield in CYOO is highly populated and further to the south I have a large lake to contend with. I'm restricted to the west due the YYZ zone, so my real options are north and east.

The current weather is also not the best environment to be doing circuits in. The potential for shock cooling is quite present. Being able to go a straight line at cruise speeds for a duration is beneficial for the engine and flight testing.

My cruise speed is 174 kts. By the time I clear the CYOO control zone, get to my cruise altitude and get to cruise speed, I have 20 NM available. At cruise speed, that gives me 6 min and 53 secs before I have to turn back. I would suggest that is undesirable and not really conducive to proper flight testing.

Heading north or east is my only real option to minimize flying over any built up areas.

I believe that in todays age, there may be a need to revisit the special CofA restrictions imposed based on the aircraft type. It would be a somewhat commonsensical approach due to the advances in homebuilt aircraft over the last 30 years.

In all reality, a 50NM restriction would be more applicable for RV and Lancair tyoe aircraft based on the performance of these aircraft. Turning around at 200Mph after 7 minutes if flight is not really suitable for this type of situation.

Based on the potential for shock cooling issues for the engine and proper engine analysis, proximity to significant built up areas, and the speed of the aircraft, I would like Transport to consider an amendment to my special CofA to allow me to operate within 50NM of CYOO.

I don't believe that this is an unreasonable request. I do believe that the rules may be somewhat antiquated for these aircraft types, and maybe a fullsome review of these conditions can be reviewed.

Darryl, thanks for your consideration and taking the time to look at this. I hope that circumstances identified above can be used to support an amendment to the CofA which I believe is relevant to these type if aircraft.

Thanks

Don

Application was approved.

Back