What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Austin race in November?

flyinmonque

Well Known Member
Anyone here been to the races in the past? Want to find out about what tickets get you into what areas, transportation to and from track and any other information that you think would be useful
Been a GP/f1 fan since the early 60?s it will probably be the only live race in my lifetime so want it to be the best I can make it.
Please give me a PM here please.

Anyone here been to the races in the past? Want to find out about what tickets get you into what areas, transportation to and from track and any other information that you think would be useful
Been a GP/f1 fan since the early 60’s it will probably be the only live race in my lifetime so want it to be the best I can make it.
Please give me a PM here please.

Forget the PM. Plenty of race fans here...

I attended the first F1 race there in 2014 (IIRC). We had seats in turn 4, which allowed us to see action on several corners, including coming out of corner 1. We also had passes into one of the VIP type tents, which provided access to air conditioning, free (ahem)buffets with good food, and free ;-) drinks. There were also Q&A sessions in the VIP area with people like Emo Fittipaldi, which I found fascinating. I thought the VIP package was a nice add, if expensive.

We stayed in Austin and drove to the track both Saturday and Sunday.

If I was flying the RV to the race, I might go to San Marcos, which is fairly convenient to the track. Also, there is a CAF wing at San Marcos, so there are interesting aircraft to look at there.

Last edited:
Went a few years ago. I don’t remember much about tickets, but I do recall a (large) special event fee from the FBO @ KAUS. The GA ramps were all jammed

Possible Hangarminium available...

I am completing construction of a "hangar-minium" at Fentress Airpark (XS90) about 8 NM SE of San Marcos Airport (KHYI).

I will be putting it up for sale when complete, but if it's not sold will entertain the idea of providing a 2BR/2BA 1500sf accommodation with hangarage included at this location about 1 mile east of Texas 130 (toll road) which runs right past the track.

Drive time (no traffic) from Fentress to the track is approx 20 minutes...30 minutes to Austin via tollway, 40 minutes to San Antonio.

Lots of details to be worked out yet, but just putting it out there now to see if there might be interest for this event or others (ACL music fest, etc.)

FYI, the airpark shares its location with a skydive operation:

https://sanmarcos.skydivespaceland.com/

Rob S.

Austin F1

I live in Bastrop, just east of the track. Have gone every year since it started.

Smithville (84R), Fayette Rgnl (3T5), San Marcos (KHYI) are all GA friendly during the race.

I have had bleacher seats as well as General Admission tickets. Bleachers are much more expensive than GA. Three day GA packages start at $175 ($58 per day). There is plenty of good viewing locations. I always try to find a spot in from of the big jumbo trons.....the PA system is weak. Once the race starts you will not hear the track announcers (which is not a big deal). The jumbos will keep track of the on track status as it is the same global feed you see on television.

Haas has a three package fro $225 total that covers the three days and access to the concerts.

Parking will be the problem (priced separately).....only the T lot (most cost effective) is closest and is at the top of turn 1.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ron

Haven't been to Austin since 2011...I'm sure you'll have a great time there! Besides the F1, explore the city, it's lovely. One of the most peculiar things were the bats! For foods and shopping, head to the SoCo District, lots of options out there. Another highlight - Austin Steam Train Association, I simply loved it!
Enjoy the race, and explore the city :)

My wife and I did the F1 race at COTA last year. We flew Southwest airlines and used their site to also grab a hotel in North Austin and a rental car. Flew out Friday afternoon and it was rainy and mostly IFR into the next day, so I'm glad we did the commercial flight.

We grabbed some $5 folding chairs from Wal-Mart and had the Gen. Admission wristbands, which were something like $100 each.

We drove to downtown and parked in a parking garage for $10 a day, then walked a couple of blocks to the shuttle busses (another $20 per person per day!). Parking at the track was just as expensive, if not more. We walked around on Saturday and saw most of the attractions in the main gate area, then crossed over the infield towards turn 1 for the qualifying. The hillside there was completely muddy, but we had a good view of the front straight and down towards the pit lane.

On Sunday for the race, the crowds were WAY larger for the shuttle busses, and when we got to the main entrance the line for security was very long. We hopped on the loop shuttle and rode that around to the other side of the track where turn 1 was, and the entrance there was not busy at all and we were able to just walk right in and find a good spot on the hillside. We could follow most of the race action with the big screen TV's across from the grandstands.

After the race, we went down towards the main grandstand and they opened up the gates and allowed everyone on to the track. We got to the podium a bit late for champagne. :p

Overall a very fun weekend. We didn't stay for the concerts. Austin has plenty of other places to see great live music.

Taylor TX T74

13NM NE of KEDC is Taylor TX. Rental cars available close to the airport - expect tie downs and fuel is generally as cheap as you can find in the area. Taylor Cafe has very good BBQ - Louie Mueller used to be voted best BBQ in TX, but the new owners changed the recipe to a more Memphis flavor. HWY 130 Tollway is about 8mi E, and the track is S on that road, just SE of KAUS. KEDC is the expensive one to fly into.

Of course, you can fly over Macho Grande on your way in...41XS.:D

Back