What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone with an MTV-15B Propeller:

garymail

I have been corresponding with MT regarding the MTV-15 propeller. It seems that there was no stress analysis for the propeller / engine combination with regard to high compression pistons and electronic ignition. there have been 48 units manufactured prior to discontinuance. I have tracked down 7 units locally. any others, please let me know your name and N number and type of aircraft, should there be any additional information forthcoming, I can create a database.

PS Anyone in Pacific Northwest needing transition training, condition inspection, pre-buy, ferry or issuance of certificate of airworthiness, I am available.

Regards,

Gary Brown
ATP A&P IA CFI DAR EAA COUNSELOR

You?re going to need to give us more information, I?m flying a MTV-15B-183-33 from 1989, they have built way more than 48 or these props. In recent years they started putting metal blades on these, is this what you?re referring too? I know Dean who lost a blade a couple of years ago in Albany OR, is this related to your inquiry? I never did hear what if anything was decided about his prop.

Gary, hopefully you did a search on the forums already. I had this prop on my RV7 which I sold a few years ago. I had to have it re-sealed twice at MT's expense because it spit grease like a sprayer at a car wash.. As far as I know it has been fine since updated seals were put in and Bruce who owns the plane now has not had any trouble with it. I had many conversations with Tony (RIP) about his similar issue. He also had to have his prop resealed a couple of times and MT covered it. I can tell you that MT was not easy to work with and I will never purchase another prop from them. Both Tony and I had to fight with them to cover the resealing.

MTV-15 Prop

The metal units are the ones that may be subject to closer scrutiny in the future. ( Metal blades) I will update as I get more information. Meanwhile, MT suggests that we check the hub for cracks every 5-10 hours. ( B.S.!!!)
This is following the blade separation in Albany, Oregon last year and perhaps some more recent events.

My prop has 600 hours on it, just had to spend $1200 to reseal and replace some internal parts per MT updates. Seems all these props have seal and grease issues, and perhaps other structural issues. As I learn more, I will post.

Regards,

Gary Brown
ATP A&P IA CFI DAR EAA COUNSELOR

MTV-15B Props

There were 48 of these props manufactured ( Two blade aluminum ). None will be supported in the future. The factory is offering an exchange for about $2000 plus about $1100 shipping for an MTV-9 3 blade composite prop. They want to get them out of service. They might know something!

Regards,

Gary Brown
ATP A&P IA CFI DAR

I am the RV-7A owner referred to by Capflyer above. Subsequent to that posting, my prop did develop serious issues last fall. I removed the prop and took it to the service center in Deland FL. The prop was toast inside the hub due to poor lubrication. After some emails back and forth across the Atlantic, I ended up taking on approval a MTV-9-B/183-50a three blade for a greatly reduced price. I wasn't sure that I wanted a three blade, but I have been very pleased with it. The three blade is very smooth, much less vibration. No RPM limitations of any kind. Great takeoff and climb performance and little noticeable effect on top end speed. After deciding to keep it, Deland custom painted the prop in February and it looks terrific. MT specified the more robust MTV-9 over the 12 because of my dual electronic ignition on a IO-360.

I felt pleased with the treatment I received from MT. Good resolution to a difficult situation. It is my belief that MT wants all the aluminum MTV-15 props out of service.

High compression is what?

I have a M/T MTV-15-B/183-402 prop on my Superior IO-360, 8,5 compression, with dual P-mags.
In July this year, it's time for the 6 year overhaul, so I've contacted a prop shop here in Norway who is an authorized M/T dealer and overhaul shop.

I asked them what they knew about the prop-replacement program mentioned in this post.
They checked with M/T in Germany and here is the result:

M/T generally wants this prop out of service. Reason is that some props are installed on engines with high compression with electronic ignition and these props are not designed for that.
The prop shop didn't specify what compression they meant by "high compression", but I assume that it's anything above 8,5.
Does anyone know if this assumption is correct?

They also said that it applied to O-360 engines. I'll check with them wether or not it also applies to IO-360 engines.

I'm offered a MTV-9-B/183-50a prop instead. (3 blade composit)
The price for that prop here in Norway is 10.500 Euro, and they offered me the prop for 6875 Euro.

I love my MTV-15 prop (2 blade alu) so I prefer is to get this thing overhauled and continue flying with it.
Right now, I'm waiting for a quote for the 6 year overhaul, and then I'll decide what to do.

Anyone else has some more info?

Bruce: what kind of engine, compression and ignition do you have?

Last edited:
Alf:

I have an IO-360, standard compression pistons and dual Lightspeed electronic ignition.

I think you should email Gerd directly at the factory. They should offer you a better price than that I believe. I paid far less than that for my exchange.

I was told that they drill a hole in the base of the aluminum prop when they get them back to ensure they will never fly again!

An update:

I've just received a quote from the Norwegian M/T dealer for the 6 year overhaul: 3715 Euro... (approx 5200 USD)
It'll take 7 (!) weeks so I guess it'll be shipped to M/T in Germany for the job.

They also stated that I could continue using this prop on my engine after the overhaul, in other words: my 8,5 compression is ok.

I'm offered a new MTV-9 for 6875 Euro (approx 9600 USD)
In addition to this price, there will be freight, so I guess the total will be at least 10.000 USD.... :eek:

Guess I've some decition-making to do soon....

Bruce: I've sent you a PM...

Last edited:
Late to the Game - MT V15B Aluminum

I am late to the game on the MT Aluminum issue. I have one and when I started to inquire at Oshkosh about the overhaul they said they wanted to help me replace it. I am running an IO360 with 9.5:1 Compression and dual electronic ignition (for some reason that makes a difference). have about 600 hours on it.

The number they are telling me initially is $3k for the prop and spinner plus shipping so could run over 4K :eek:.

I have grounded my plane until I get the new prop. Was told to expect up to 12 Weeks. Their engineers said I could keep flying it but should do an inspection of the hub before each flight. Doesn't exactly give you a warm fuzzy. I was a bit apprehensive about the 5+ hour flight back home after hearing about a hub failure.

Time to move on.... For those who have made the switch to the 3 bladed prop....
How happy are you with it? Did it effect your performance?

Check with 330drv --(above)

He is my hangar neighbor (RV-7A) and he had the issues and went with the MT three-blade. He received excellent support from the MT folks on the exchange. The prop really looks good and performs well, on his airplane.

He is traveling the next couple of days, but he will get back to you.

Ron

Yes I have been happy with the 3 blade. Very smooth and I don't believe it impacts top end speed very much. Looks very nice as well!

MT wanted me to take the 3 blade because there are no RPM restrictions unlike their 2 blade would have had.

I am very happy that the old 2 blade aluminum prop is gone. I hate to put this in writing but I believe that I was at risk for a catastrophic failure. I would get rid of the 2 blade aluminum MT ASAP.

Last edited:
Back