What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I carry a loaded gun in my plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Interested in the legal guidance. Stories and opinions might be best in some other venue. Just want the actual facts about landing, using and taking off from public airports with a gun in the survival gear bag.

Yes, provided you have the appropriate permit and otherwise follow applicable laws which will vary from state to state. MN state law, for example, does not recognize any difference between a car and an aircraft in matters relating to carrying a firearm, but again, laws vary from state to state. Laws will also vary with respect to a pistol, shotgun, or rifle so check to be sure. Do not try to cross into Canada or Mexico, no matter what.

You must stay clear of security zones around terminal buildings, even if ground gives you taxi instructions to the contrary. Failure to do so would effectively be the same as carrying your weapon past the x-ray security checkpoints inside the terminal.

Last edited:
And

Never ever cross the Canadian border with it. Our [ed. Political name calling removed. dr] have allowed the anti's to make all the non hunters be literally terrorized by the mere thought of a real gun being anywhere but in a gun safe with trigger locks.

Zero tolerance for anything in the hangun, short barrel or scary "black gun" category. Long guns need to be registered/documented/fee paid and transported under very strict rules.

Silly but ....

Just throwing that out as it always makes the news here when our customs seizes a boom stick from an 80 year old veteran crossing and thinks they have saved the public from imminent doom.

But I digress. As a gun nut and pilot, what you going to carry in your survival kit? Also, can i ask why you want to carry one loaded? Are we talking back woods survival if forced down, or are we talking more to keep all the spam canners from commandeering a real cool airplane?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested in the legal guidance. Stories and opinions might be best in some other venue.
Then you really need to talk to a lawyer that practices this area of law. Asking on an INTERNET forum is a sure way of getting real bad information.

:cool:

loaded? probably not.

Long guns need to be registered/documented/fee paid and transported under very strict rules.

:D

Rick and others interested; things have relaxed a bit; I have taken the firearms course, and have a PAL, ( possession & acquisition license) used to be called the FAC ( firearms acquisition certificate?)
anyway, I walk into Canadian tire, buy a shotgun or other long gun with an 18.5" barrel, and carry it out with a box of ammo. Put it in the back of my car, unloaded, take to the airport, put it in my plane, with no ammo IN it, but a box in the baggage compartment. Yes, trigger locks and such are the norm.
no registry, nobody knows or cares, unless I do something dumb with it. Proper storage and use and you will not attract any attention.

note: this is not legal advice, nor will you find a shotgun in my plane today.

Last edited:
My hand guns are always loaded as i am usually carrying. I do fly with it sometimes. Some fbos will have no gun signs and those depend on whether your state allows those signs to carry the weight of the law. Ohio the signs are law but indiana they are not.

As has been said before, Know the local laws and carry accordingly.

State laws vary widely, especially when it comes to the validity of signs.

One thing I've noticed on several handgun forums, the terms loaded vs. unloaded comes up quite often. In Texas those terms are not mentioned anywhere in any of the laws. If you are carry a handgun, it is assumed to be loaded. Otherwise, why would you be carrying it?

OFF TOPIC WARNING

The Captain settles into his seat and lays a .38 on the instrument panel.
The Navigator asks, "Why the piece?"
Captain, "That's for the Navigator that gets me lost."
The Navigator lays a .45 on the panel.
Captain, "Why the piece?"
Navigator, "Well frankly Cap'n, I'll know we're lost before you will!"

Not Legal advice

I work the forest in Canada and transport my defensive weapon for bears and cats(MAverick 12 gauge pump) in my truck all the time. UNLOADED, and TRIGGER locked with ammo separate from the gun.

I believe this would be ok in the airplane too BUT what would do you do near an airport when you arrive? Especially one with sched airplanes arriving etc. This is something i dont think i would do.

However, if trigger locked, empty breach and flying to a remote airstrip it likely would be legal and not of interest to anyone in most cases.

This is not to be construed as legal opinion and does not constitute any advice other than an opinion of the author.

I don't know jack about gun laws, but isn't there also the "accessible" factor? I.e., if you have all the proper paperwork (for whatever state you're in), and the firearm is in the trunk of your car (for example), isn't that *not* considered "concealed" (so you don't need a CCW permit)? I.e., it isn't readily accessible. It also can't be searched without a warrant or probable cause (in the U.S.).

Would the baggage area of an RV be considered "inaccessible"? Maybe not in, say, an RV-7, but in an -8 (forward baggage?)?

Lots of "interesting" possibilities here...

If you do not possess a permit to carry concealed in every state that you overfly, you are in legal danger if you had to make an emergency or other unexpected landing there.

In particular, you need to stay far away from New Jersey, Massachussetts, Maryland, New York, and California if you have a firearm in your airplane. New Jersey in particular does not recognize the FOPA (firearm owner protection act) of 1986 which is a federal law that is supposed to protect people moving firearms across state lines.

I second the use of a knowledgeable attorney or at a very minimum, handgunlaw.us. No one here who is not an attorney can give competent advice on where you can lawfully transport a firearm, loaded or unloaded.

I am not an attorney and can give no advice other than to say stay away from states that you don't have a permit to carry in, at a minimum. Firearms laws are very different from state to state and most people (firearms owners and non-owners alike) have no idea of the various restrictions to which they are subject. Different states have different legal definitions of what it means to carry a firearm, and some even have odd definitions of what constitutes a firearm. Be careful and get good legal advice.

In Australia, you may only bring a firearm (loaded or unloaded) aboard an aircraft if it is operating in Charter or RPT operations - unless you have the written permission of CAsA. CAR143.

You must not discharge a firearm in flight unless you are an Air Security Officer, or have the written permission of CAsA. CAR144.

"Can I Carry a Loaded Gun in my Plane?".......

That would seem like a very odd question anywhere but the US :D

"Can I Carry a Loaded Gun in my Plane?".......

That would seem like a very odd question anywhere but the US :D

While I dont currently carry in the plane, the desire to do so was very strong while flying over the middle of the allegator infested everglades.

I think that would have happened no matter what country the geologic feature was in.

Your point may be valid since europe is more densly populated, the largest danger of forced landing might be from being runover by a white delivery van in the UK. :) or a smart car on the continent. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you are staying in the states, put an AR-7 survival rifle in the plane. Great rifle for survival kits. Rifles are not restricted in most cases, unlike pistols.

G'day,

Rule 1. Know all the rules.
Rule 2. Don't get caught.

Regards,

Bob Redman

Special emphasis on rule #2. What we do, and what we say we do, frequently have a few differences between them. Discussing those differences on a public internet forum might not be the wisest course of action.

It's just a shame you guys don't live in a more enlightened State. Our deeply wise and scientifically literate legislature says I can carry most anything, anywhere, anyway I want. So I do.

Reciprocity matters.

I have a concealed carry permit for Georgia and 17 other States give reciprocity but not South Carolina, where we have a second home...so I have to be veeery careful when I fly there.

Best,

At risk of sounding a bit non-conformist, but I gotta ask...

Why are you guys so intent on carrying a firearm on board your aircraft?

If it's an off-airport landing scenario that drives the thought, I can think of a lot of survival gear that I'd rather have rather than a gun.

If it's an off-airport landing scenario that drives the thought, I can think of a lot of survival gear that I'd rather have rather than a gun.
I can think of things I'd rather have than a radio and a cell phone, too... but I'll still have both. Like that fire extinguisher and ELT, you never plan to use it but it's awfully nice to know it's there if things go really, really badly.

:)

(note: not that you'll find a gun in my plane, but I can certainly understand why someone would want one.)

Many of us are Second Amendment followers and like to exerciser that right. As a retired cop with 28 years on the job in a large border city of Detroit, don't expect the police to protect you from a robbery or assault. They will be there after the fact. Your first line of defense is you yourself. And concealed carry laws vary state to state. Most states will consider an airplane as a "motor vehicle". Research and be aware of the states conceal carry laws before you travel.

Many of us are Second Amendment followers and like to exerciser that right. As a retired cop with 28 years on the job in a large border city of Detroit, don't expect the police to protect you from a robbery or assault. They will be there after the fact. Your first line of defense is you yourself. And concealed carry laws vary state to state. Most states will consider an airplane as a "motor vehicle". Research and be aware of the states conceal carry laws before you travel.

Absolutely. Also be aware that in some states, open carry doesn't require a permit of any kind and what constitutes "concealed carry" varies from state to state. For example, in some states, a loaded weapon in a glove box is not considered concealed carry, in others it is. Lastly, even if a state allows open carry, a municipality can have an open carry ban in affect.

Best advice -- know the law of the areas you are over-flying before you go.

[QUOTE
Why are you guys so intent on carrying a firearm on board your aircraft?[/QUOTE]

If your lycoming stumbles and breaks a leg, you have to shoot it.

Side note: An antique firearm (pre-1899) is exempt from th 1968 GCA and can be sent anywhere via US mail. Many States treat them as "non-guns".

It's definitely not stemming from the "need" to have a gun when flying. As a concealed carrier, however, it's nice to not have too many road blocks preventing you from exercising the right through your daily routine.

Not being able to carry on board the plane would be a direct infringement on the ability to carry once reaching my destination.

Transport vs Carry?

Two issues:
1) Transporting a firearm in your aircraft.
2) Carrying a firearm after you exit your winged steed.

In Michigan, I always carry. When in uniform, open. When off duty, not open.

When traveling out of state, know the laws but I rarely ever carry when flying out of state. Just complicates things too much.

A thing about carry V transport within your car or plane. There is a big difference. Transport is a state of the weapon and ammunition being well separated and the weapon being in a locked container, such as the trunk.

Finally, to search a trunk of a car generally requires concent or a search warrant. Not true to search the "cabin" of a car subsequent to an arrest. Anything within arms reach including the interior of the car is fair game. Anything in "open view" is a given.

This is only a summary of really basic law. As others have said, know the local laws very well, well enough to argue them in front of a judge and have it right!

Is border and customs still terrorizing GA pilots anymore? All bets are off with these guys.

I'll chime in with a little more on the Canadian perspective.

Paul K hit on an important differentiation in terminology. In Canada, that differentiation is between "Storage" vs "Transport". If a firearm is being transported, it needs to meet the requirements for transportation. Note that in some provinces the provincial game laws have a more strict set of requirements than does our federal law.

In general, in Canada, a non-restricted firearm (read "long gun") which is being transported must be unloaded and encased. Note there is no requirement for a lock of any type. As an example, you can have your semi-auto hunting rifle in your airplane in a zippered cloth case, and have the loaded magazine in your shirt pocket - you're legal.

Restricted firearms are a different story, because locking requirements come into play. Some provincial Chief Firearms Officers are adding their own interpretation to the federal rules - Ontario, as an example, has seen some charges laid when an individual was transporting a restricted firearm in properly locked condition (locked case, with a trigger lock, which is only one of the means by which the second layer of rendering a firearm inoperable may be achieved) but their ammo was in a zippered shooting bag that wasn't locked. I'm not aware of the outcome of the trials so don't know the judge's findings. Suffice it to say that I have a lock on the zipper of my shooting bag. Anybody with a pocket knife could quickly and easily gain access to my ammo, but that all-important lock is in place!

A couple of years ago I flew from my home airport to a shooting match. I had a big black case full of pistols and one long gun in a soft case, as well as my shooting bag. Upon arrival at the destination airport, I was greeted by the airport manager who wondered if I needed fuel or other services. We chatted as I was unloading the airplane and he offered to carry my pistol case. When he picked it up he was surprised by its weight and asked what the heck was in there. He didn't even bat an eye when I told him that I shoot the Olympic pistol disciplines and that he was holding over ten grand worth of target pistols in his hand.

For US residents who wish to bring a firearm into Canada, it is NOT forbidden, but it does require that you get your paperwork ducks in a row. You will have to comply with Canadian law - US laws do not apply here, so take the time to learn ours.

Bringing in a restricted firearm (pistol) is really only allowed for the purposes of target shooting, and you'd better have a valid invitation to a shooting match, and had better have called ahead to get all your paperwork sorted out. Carry, be it concealed or open, is not allowed, period. Long guns are quite a bit easier to bring into the country, but again, do your homework. The last thing you want is to get the CBSA (border services, where providing service is not part of what they do! LoL) all riled up.

Use your brain, act with prudence, and you'll be OK. As a result of US requirements, it's actually harder for me to get my guns into the US than it is for an American to bring their guns to Canada. Go figure.

I don't own a gun, and now I'm wondering if it's safe for me to fly anymore.
No worries. Ive trained all my guns that when they leave home on their own, to never point themselves at anyone and fire on their own.

Here is the thing I love about pro gun/anti gun people:

If you are pro gun you don't try to make the anti gun people own them.
If you are anti gun you try to prevent people from owning them.

One person respects the right of others to make the choice for themselves. The other wishes to push their beliefs onto other people.

I can't think of any reason why someone would need to carry a loaded firearm on a private aircraft.

Bevan

Here is the thing I love about pro gun/anti gun people:

If you are pro gun you don't try to make the anti gun people own them.
If you are anti gun you try to prevent people from owning them.

One person respects the right of others to make the choice for themselves. The other wishes to push their beliefs onto other people.

Not sure if my post generated this response, but I"m not against guns. I'm just in favor of carrying them when the threat--or the general risk level--warrants.

FYI, I carry concealed when I'm at out on the town or at group settings such as theaters. I just haven't really come up with a realistic threat that would meet the criteria to carry or transport a weapon during my flights...

But then again maybe I'm not flying to the "right" airports!

I can't think of any reason why someone would need to carry a loaded firearm on a private aircraft.

Bevan

Just like we all get the chance to build what we want without caring what anyone else thinks, we decide for ourself if we want to carry or not. We all decide for ourselves if we have a reason or not.

Not sure if my post generated this response, but I"m not against guns. I'm just in favor of carrying them when the threat--or the general risk level--warrants.

FYI, I carry concealed when I'm at out on the town or at group settings such as theaters. I just haven't really come up with a realistic threat that would meet the criteria to carry or transport a weapon during my flights...

But then again maybe I'm not flying to the "right" airports!

Sometimes when we land, we don't stay at the airport.

I can think of a couple reasons: 1. Arriving late at small airports means many times there is not another person in sight. Sad but true that some lowlife might see that as an easy target and we all know that the uninformed think all pilots are rich ;)
2. Flying to a remote location to do some fishing or hunting or just camping... A gun might be handy in case a bear, mountain lion, etc decides to investigate camp. Oh and same comment about lowlife applies out in nature too.

I have a concealed carry permit and carry a gun when I can legally do it in my car. If conditions warrant... same would apply for an airplane with the same "when I can legally do it".

Things do change

I spent the better part of 20 years flying around with a collection of every thing from 38 Cal Combat Masterpieces to 7.62 and 20 MM gatling guns to 40 MM Bofars and even a few days with a 105 hanging out the back door. Always seemed that out customers and friends were happy to have us hanging around.

Now I can go to jail if I forget and leave a pair of nail clippers in my pocket.

Just don't seem right somehow?:confused:

Not to be impolite, but you don't need to, just the person that wants to!

Forgive me, and not to be impolite either. So let me rephrase, "why would you want to"...?

When flying, it's much ado about risk management. Does a loaded weapon on board a private flight reduce some specific risk? I would think the risk of a negative encounter would be increased as there is much law enforcement around airports, who would be threatened by the presence of unexpected weapons. Just asking and trying to understand.

Bevan

Not to be impolite, but you don't need to, just the person that wants to!

Forgive me, and not to be impolite either. So let me rephrase, "why would you want to"...?

When flying, it's much ado about risk management. Does a loaded weapon on board a private flight reduce some specific risk? It's not like we're flying over enemy territory. I would think the risk of a negative encounter would be increased as there is much law enforcement around airports, who would be threatened by the presence of unexpected weapons. Just asking and trying to understand.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Bevan

Last edited:
I would want to carry a loaded gun to help avoid a bird strike!
Also, when you have a CCW, you don't want to (and legally cant) land and then, in the presence of the line boy or anyone else who is hanging around, pull out a gun, load it, rack one into the chamber, and then head into the FBO to get your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back