What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Wiring Diagrams Now Available!

bigbill25

Well Known Member
From Van's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....124659254271681.21139.121827541221519&type=1

RV-12 Wiring Diagrams Now Available!

Today Van?s posted two complete wiring diagrams for the RV-12, along with links to (free!) software that will display them. Once RV-12 builders download the software and drawings, they will have the complete RV-12 wiring schematic at their fingertips. Part numbers for individual plugs and harnesses, wire colors and wires sizes and pin-outs are clearly shown.

Using the full-color web makes it possible to take advantage of search and zoom features. Drawings are accessible from a computer, iPad, iPhone, Android devices, etc. No matter where you are - at home, in your shop, or fifty miles away in a hangar, the information is available.

To access the diagrams, visit the Download Page and scroll to the bottom. Be sure to READ the entire Electrical Schematic Instructions.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm#12

We are looking forward to using this new tool that literally puts us on the same page with builders. It will become even more useful in the future, as we are incorporating this ability directly into upcoming models.

The diagrams should be very useful, and the "upcoming models" comment at the end sounds interesting. Must be the RV-14. Maybe others as well?

I tried to load this on my iPad using good reader after loading autocad with no success. Any suggestions?

Slane,

I tried that too..didn't work. You have to first upload it from your desktop to the Autocad "cloud", then it magically pops up on the iPad. Pretty neat!

Mitch

Opening in iPad

This was a problem for me as well.

The following did work.

Opened the zipped file in GoodReader. GoodReader is a free app.

Unzipped the file in GoodReader.

Went to Manage Files in GoodReader.

Selected the unZipped file and pressed the Open In button - AutoCadWS appeared as a choice. (all within Manage File of GoodReader).

The above worked. Mailing the unzipped file to myself did not work.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Nice, but, does not help the original RV-12 / D-180 group much. Also the interface module and the switch panel still appears to be TOP SECRET! Unless I am missing something. :confused:

Dave your method did work thank you very much. Can you load it on the iPad and open it without Internet? The PDF files that I load onto the iPad are available to me and I wonder if this one can be available in a similar fashion?

Working off line

AutoCAD WS lets you save any of the DWG files in your online account locally onto your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch so that you can continue working with them even when you are not connected to the internet.

See the Tutorials.

In fact, by default, when using your iPad AutoCAD WS will download all the files you have in your online account to make them available offline. So try turning off Wi-Fi link on your iPad and then start the App and you should find your Electrical Diagram is there.

On my PC, AutoCAD WS did not download any drawings by default. But, if you click on the Drawings page then highlight the drawing, click Download and you can download the cloud drawing to your PC in any folder you want. It will ask you what AutoCAD version to save-as. If you have AutoCAD on your PC pick the version you have or earlier. If you don't have AutoCAD, pick the latest.

Tony

Thanks Tony, you were right, with wifi turned off it is clear that the drawing is there on the iPad. Now I need to learn how to read and understand it. slane

Not easy to use....

It's nice that Van's decided to honor all the past requests for a wiring diagram. Maybe I am missing something, but I find it very difficult to use, because of limited screen size and resolution. If I get the diagram large enough to read, then I lose track of where I am on the big picture. Seems like you almost need a huge monitor, or a plotter, to make practical use of the diagram. Certainly way better than nothing, but a bit of a pain to use.

Print Acad Drawing

Has anyone found a print service on line that can print a color D size drawing on paper. I found one that will print on Photo Paper for $50.00 in color. Paper would be less costly.

AUTOCAD!?!!

I am dumbfounded (nice word). AutoCad has its painfully visible roots in DOS!
The UI reminds me of 1987. I refuse to even figure out how to convert that file to a PDF. What arrogance! I'm insulted and will take my $40,000 to the E-AB route. The UL260 is looking mighty good right now. Or even a used Corvair...anything but deal with AutoCad files.

I am dumbfounded (nice word). AutoCad has its painfully visible roots in DOS!
The UI reminds me of 1987. I refuse to even figure out how to convert that file to a PDF. What arrogance! I'm insulted and will take my $40,000 to the E-AB route. The UL260 is looking mighty good right now. Or even a used Corvair...anything but deal with AutoCad files.

Email me and I will send you a .pdf file in color or b/w

Not sure how much of a solution it is, but Vans will sell you the 2 ft by 3 ft drawing for $25. I have one on the way, I needed to look at the big picture for clarity.
I am told I will need a magnifying glass and a large table to read it anyway.

Back