What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

installing nutplates in dificult places

jamescone

Well Known Member
Here is an easy way to install nutplates when you can't get at the back side of the mounting. I used this technique to install nutplates for the ELT antenna bracket that I got in a recent care package from Van's. Go to:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12Construction9409# to see pictures and descriptions. For some reason, the pictures are small, but you can see them well enough to get the idea. Move your mouse over each picture to get the full text description.

The link worked when I previewed this post but it does not seem to work. I will try to get it fixed and re-post it. Try this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12Construction9409?feat=email#

Last edited:
Jim's pictures;

Installing%20nutplates%20in%20difficult%20locations%20001.jpg

This is how to bend the wire so that it will let the nutplate lie flat against the place where it will be installed.

Installing%20nutplates%20in%20difficult%20locations%20002.jpg

Feed the wire down thru the nutplate screw hole and thru the nutplate from the screw side. Then bend the wire as shown in the previous picture.

Installing%20nutplates%20in%20difficult%20locations%20003.jpg

Pull the wire up and use a pick to align one sde of the nut plate and install a cleco. Then align the other side of the nutplate and cleco it as well.

Installing%20nutplates%20in%20difficult%20locations%20004.jpg

After installing both clecos, install a screw and tighten so that the nutplate is flat against the surface that it is to be installed to. Remove one cleco and rivet with a pop rivet. Then remove the other cleco and rivet that side and you are done! Easy.

(you have to right-click on an enlarged picture and copy the adress of the picture, do not copy the webadress).

Last edited:
Jim,

What a great idea. Wish you posted this a week ago. Mine are in after fooling around with them o the tip of my finger.

Back