What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jim Cone's canopy problems

jamescone

Well Known Member
I have been working on my canopy and had a few problems that may help vanheads avoid repeating.

First, the hole for the canopy latch was predrilled by Van's too far aft by about a 1/16th inch to allow the proper distance between the aft window and the canopy Plexiglas. I ground a bit off of the forward edge to make it fit.

Second, the front of the canopy interfered with the top forward skin after I drilled the canopy to the frame. This made it impossible to open the canopy. I had to cut off about 3/16 of an inch to get it to clear and allow the canopy to open. I did this in place a 1/16th of an inch at a time and made a real mess of plastic dust everywhere. I also touched the instrument panel with the die grinder disc a few times so I have to touch this up. After I got the canopy to clear, I took it off of the frame and used a die grinder with a medium Scotchbrite pad to smooth the cut. This whole process was a real PITA. If your canopy does not clear the front to skin like mine, I suggest that you uncleco the canopy and trim it off of the plane.

Third, when you install the C-1206 guide as shown on page 34-08, you will find that the welding bead interferes with getting it in the proper position. I used a Dremmel tool to clearance this. Below is a link to some pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12Construction62009#

Thanks Jim.

Had to do the same. Trimmed about 1/8" off the forward part of the canopy but did not change the position of the handle hole. A such, I will have to trim the rear window just a bit to compensate. About a 1/16" has to come off the forward part of the rear window in a couple of spots. So, all in all, I experienced exactly what you have seen with the canopy.

Back