What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Used DSLR

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
After playing around with my 3+ yr old Kodak P850 on a recent family trip, I've found myself wanting to experiment more with camera settings.

I've been looking at some of the new entry-level DSLRs that have hit the market this year (e.g. Nikon D5000 or Canon EOS T1i), and while I am attracted to their abilty to capture HD video, I'm thinking that perhaps I might start with a good used camera.

Anyone have any suggestions for something the would have a decent lens, image stabilization and maybe an external flash that I could pick up for less than $500.

TIA!

Last edited:
Canon and Nikon have the IS in the lens rather than the body. Lenses are the expensive part and they tend not to get out dated very quickly (while bodies will be obsolete much more quickly).

I would recomend choosing a body you like that has a lense selection you also like. Depending on what you are doing with the camera a used semi-pro body can be a great deal (but they tend to be a bit heavy, so if you'll be doing a lot of hiking a light camera like a Rebel XT might be good).

In the Canon lineup, you should be able to get a 30D, a "kit" lens and some basic accessories on the used market for under $500. I'm not sure what the nikon equivalent is, but I'm sure there is one.

Also worth looking at is the pentax lineup, the K10D should be well within your price range and is also a great camera (and is weather sealed - canon didn't start that until the 40d, excluding the really high end stuff). Pentax has the IS in the body which tends to cost less than buying IS lenses (but is less effective with longer lenses).

Unless you will be spending a lot more than $500 (per lens really), I wouldn't worry too much about IS and rather focus on getting fast glass and a body that performs well at higher ISO's. The latter is really the only metric that varies quite a lot for bodies of similar cost. In general, the Canon lineup tends to be the best in terms of high ISO image quality, though the new full frame Nikon's are really excellent (and $3k) in this respect too. The K10D isn't bad, especially if you shoot in raw mode and its got IS in the body so that helps a bit too.

My wife uses a Canon Rebel XT and although the body is a bit light and plasticy feeling, it takes great pictures and produces images that are quite clean even at an ISO of 800 and 1600 images are generally still usable. The 30D has a very similar sensor but a higher quality body than the Rebel XT (but also weighs a lot more and is physically larger - good for bigger hands, bad for small ones like my wife's).

have fun!

Last edited:
If you're sure you want a DSLR, you want image stabilization, and $500 is the price point you're trying to stay around, then I think the Canon EOS Rebel XS kit (comes with an 18-55mm image stabilized lens) is your best bet. You can get new ones from B&H Photo (about the only online camera place I'll deal with) for $550.

If you're not determined to have an SLR, then I'd highly recommend having a look at the Canon PowerShot G10. It's the Donnie and Marie Osmond of cameras - a little bit SLR and a little bit Point-N-Shoot. It's not as much a hassle to travel with as an SLR is, but much more capable than your average P'n'S. Yep, it has image stabilization built in. Right at $500 at B&H.

Edit: Just realized you asked about USED cameras. A used Canon 20D would probably be the way to go. If you can find one from a respectable place (eBay can be a real minefield if you don't know what you're looking for), you can probably get a used body with the same lens that comes with the Rebel XS for about $600. You could probably pick up a used Canon 10D (just the body) for $250. The only problem is the 10D isn't compatible with Canon's newer, more affordable image stabilized lenses. You're looking at a pretty penny to get an IS lens if you buy a used 10D. Really, unless you're wanting to do some high-speed sports/action photography, the Rebel XS is going to be just as capable as the 10D or 20D.

Last edited:
KEH.com has a good used digital selection. They are located here in Atlanta so I usually just stop by to pick up what I need. I like these guys and have let them repair older stuff for me as well.

Another Vote for a Digital Rebel

I started from no experience with a camera and bought a digital Rebel XTi on the advice of a fellow VAF buddy. I have a few IS lenses and have been amazed at what I have been able to do.

Shooting planes, high school sports and even theater has made me forget how much the setup costs, b/c the photos are just amazing.

My son's high school baseball team just won the sectional championship to qualify for state. I shot over 1000 pics tonight from the dugout - I'll delete 900 of them - but 100 will show up all over Facebook when the boys get them. I can't buy that kind of street cred!!:)

The Newer Rebel XSi is pretty reasonable in a kit as mentioned above. It will take great pics, and I feel it has been a great investment.

As an owner of a Nikon D90, I'll add that I don't use the video very much. Other than being HD quality, you lose autofocus (not sure if the D5000 fixed that). If I just want a web-quality video the output from my Canon SD870IS is hard to beat (and is a fantastic point and shoot as well).
My recommendation is to look around for as much glass as you can afford, then find a camera to match. Canon or Nikon, you can't go wrong.

Edit: Just realized you asked about USED cameras. A used Canon 20D would probably be the way to go.
The 20D is an excellent camera - just the right amount of heft, good controls. Be careful to see if your particular example suffers from a known problem of noise banding in shadows at medium/high ISO. Mine has it and it's annoying. Otherwise, a great camera.

TODR

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys... great stuff!

My tools of choice have been a Canon SD870IS and a Kodak P850, both point-and-shoots. I use the Canon 90% of the time because of it performance and portability (fits in my pocket), but it lacks the zoom capabilties that the larger older slower P850 has. What I've found is that I can't get the low light, wide-angle, or zoom performance I would like from either camera. I could add proprietary adapters and filters and lenses to the P850, but given the age and performance of the camera it seems like a waste of $ to me.

I think many of the suggestions here will come in VERY handy. I understood most of it except for one comnent...

My recommendation is to look around for as much glass as you can afford, then find a camera to match.

By glass are you referring to lenses? If so, could you ellaborate on that statement a little bit?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Straying off subject a bit...

I came across this cool iPhone application called DSLR Camera Remote that allows you to control your Canon DSLR remotely over a WiFi network... you can even take pictures remotely.

I have no idea how useful it would be, but it sure looks neat!

Pete's had a photo in AvWeb's "picture of the week" contest at least twice now, so I don't think his advice will steer you too far wrong!

Like Brad I've been thinking about buying a DSLR - maybe a Canon 30D/40D. Can somebody throw some lens recommendations into the discussion? Are faster lenses really worth the extra $$$ for us non-professional photographers?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

I think we as guys get too equipment hungry.

Just because you own a Pitts Model 12 doesn't mean you are a better aerobatic pilot than a guy with a Cessna 152A.

Same thing with cameras. I have a Nikon D80 with 2 lenses (long and short) and an external flash. This rig is plenty for anyone not in a studio.

Find an outfit you like and match the components for it. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. I chose the Nikon for legacy (I have a Nikon EL) and because I broke the plastic lense ring out of a Canon. The Nikon uses a metal lense ring that usually doesn't destroy the body if you knock it out.

As for lenses 30d/40d has a mag factor of 1.6 if I'm not mistaken. That means you loose a little quality every time you snap. Nothing wrong with that but just keep it in mind when you are doing the math on lenses. You will need something around 18-70 and 70-200 at least. (one lense can do all that if you find it) With a 200 you will be wanting a touch more zoom when trying to catch Sean Tucker's rudder inputs at the top of a double hammerhead. Go ahead and buy a 300+ if you can.

Not quite

As for lenses 30d/40d has a mag factor of 1.6 if I'm not mistaken. That means you loose a little quality every time you snap.
This is incorrect. You'll actually gain quality from the lens as you'll only be using light that comes through the center portion of the lens. With a lens that is soft on the edges (where lenses usually go bad first), the crop factor will reduce the softness.

For airplane pictures, having the crop factor is ideal.

As for lenses, if you want airshow pics, 300mm (with a 1.6 crop factor) is a good place to start. Longer is better. Image stabilization is also great as long as its set up so that you can pan with it turned on. Most of the newer IS lenses are fine with panning, but not some of the older ones.

Same thing with cameras. I have a Nikon D80 with 2 lenses (long and short) and an external flash. This rig is plenty for anyone not in a studio.

Just curious, what two lenses do you have? I have a D90. This was a big
jump up for me and am still trying to figure the thing out. I have the 18 -105
kit lense.

Like Brad I've been thinking about buying a DSLR - maybe a Canon 30D/40D. Can somebody throw some lens recommendations into the discussion? Are faster lenses really worth the extra $$$ for us non-professional photographers?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

Faster lenses are very nice for controlling background:

3417337526_6e6aa850d9.jpg

EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM at f/28

But, you have to aware of this and set the camera up right. If you are just going to put the camera in "green" mode and take snapshots, you won't get your money worth. Fast lenses have other advantages, such as faster shutter speeds in low light, cameras will focus faster, and a brighter viewfinder. Personally, I would buy a Canon Rebel with a nice f/2.8 lens before I would buy a 50D with a 'kit' lens. You will have a lens for years and years. The bodies are becoming disposable. Price out a 5 year old high-end SLR body, and a 10 year old high-end lens. One has held its value...

--Bill

Just curious, what two lenses do you have? I have a D90. This was a big
jump up for me and am still trying to figure the thing out. I have the 18 -105
kit lense.

18-70 and 70-200. Both are Nikon ED lenses. If I had to buy another 70-200 I wouldn't buy that lense though. Tamron make a nice 18-250 that's I've used. Taking one lense and the body to a fly-in would be ideal for me.

Back