What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv-7 to 7A conversion

No kit. You just order the parts that differ and install. I have seen one done, but cant comment on the work required. Vans would be the best to ask for advice.

Sure would be a lot easier to get a tailwheel endorsement. Take a lot less time, be a whole lot more fun and cost a lot less money. Don

Sure would be a lot easier to get a tailwheel endorsement. Take a lot less time, be a whole lot more fun and cost a lot less money. Don

You just never know....

We povault a few nose wheel jobs, and an acquaintance just ground looped his tail wheel Rocket last week. Quite a bit of damage I hear.

I just knew there was a reason ...........they moved the mains back & put a wheel on the front... :D At least that's what my long time --- in the Air Force--- uncle told me. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Has anyone done this mod and do you know if Vans puts out a conversion kit?

I've gone from trike to tail wheel back to trike. It's no big deal (compared to building the airplane). Just order the parts and do it.

Also in the process of installing the 3rd engine in this beast. Hope to get it right one of these days.....:)

Lots 'O work

David can give you the details but it sure looks like a lot of work. Also dependent on how far along you are.

Philosophically, give the tail wheel plane a chance. I had 0 tail time when I built mine. Got the endorsement, transition training and took it slow. I'm glad I did. I have not scared myself in nearly 400 hours:eek: I doubt there is an easier plane to fly as a tail wheel plane.

Plus, it just looks cooler!!!!

9A to 9

Nope! It was a 9A changed to a 9. Originally Van planned the 9 as a tricycle only, and later converted a 9A prototype to a taildragging 9. It looked better too!

You sure about that Danny? The factory had the first 9A (o-235) that crashed going to Sun N Fun. The blue and yellow was always a 9A and the white and yellow was always a 9. The white and yellow 7 was the one that was converted to a 7A. Unless I am confused, but that is what I remember?

Scott

Van's -7 to -7A

They actually did build the first one as a -7 and then converted it to a -7A which they take to shows for demo flights. In fact, they showed how they did this in one of the older RVators.... They had a picture of it on saw horses with BOTH gear legs on at one point :)

See here... http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-7int.htm

Isn't that what Vans did, change their -7 to a -7A?

Actually that is what they told me at the factory when I was up there demo'ing their 7A.

They said that their 7A demo plane was a 7 and they converted it to an A. They said it allowed them to do a real world speed comparison of the two, although I am not sure that is why they did it.

short list of changes

Has anyone done this mod and do you know if Vans puts out a conversion kit?

Here is a short list of the changes:
1. Remove engine and mount and replace with new engine mount.
2. bottom cowling (at least) modification.
3. Install main gear leg frames in cabin floor.
4. Buy and install new main gear legs and replump.
5. replumb fuel and brake lines around and through gear leg frames.
6. remove tailwheel.

Here is a short list of the changes:
1. Remove engine and mount and replace with new engine mount.
2. bottom cowling (at least) modification.
3. Install main gear leg frames in cabin floor.
4. Buy and install new main gear legs and replumb.
5. replumb fuel and brake lines around and through gear leg frames.
6. remove tailwheel.

New weight and balance???

David can give you the details but it sure looks like a lot of work. Also dependent on how far along you are.

Philosophically, give the tail wheel plane a chance. I had 0 tail time when I built mine. Got the endorsement, transition training and took it slow. I'm glad I did. I have not scared myself in nearly 400 hours:eek: I doubt there is an easier plane to fly as a tail wheel plane.

Plus, it just looks cooler!!!!

Hi Darwin,

We've been knocked off the internet and telephone service since last Sunday due to Ike but things are back to normal this afternoon.

I installed the tail wheel apparatus when rebuilding after an engine failure and flip. That was easy. Going back to trike took about 2 weeks.

Yea, everyone says I should have given it more time. But I was having problems with the H6 engine and had to get back on the ground pronto one day and really screwed up the landing in the process. In fact, went around when with a very questionable engine (cooling issue big time) when the machine should have been on the ground. Anyway the second approach worked out fine but I simply did not want to deal with the engine problems and have to think about not rolling the airplane up in a ball due to a screwed up landing. I put the airplane in the hangar, closed the door, and did not emerge until it had the training wheel attached again.

I've had 2 TD check outs and both CFI's said, have at it. In other words, I can fly the beast but don't have enough experience to feel comfy doing it. With the trike, it's very comfy any time any where. Maybe someday I will do an 8 and get comfy with it but I am not going back to TD with this airplane.

Back