What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

navmonster new pre-flight website FREE

lsu-rv

Well Known Member
I recently came across a new web site, that I thought I'd
share with everyone. NavMonster.com is one of the only sites I know of
that combines all of the basic stuff you need to plan a flight. It's not
the most flashy, but the it has one of the best weather presentations
I've seen. It gives you a Google map of your route as well as places to
eat once you land. The FBO data also appears to be more complete than
other sites. Best of all, it's free. The URL is http://navmonster.com

I posted this on the "iphone" thread, but it also has smart phone and iphone capabilities.

Jeff H
Austin tx
rv6a bought flying - Sold
rv8 build in hold due to larger family
S-35 (why rv8 on hold) Family C.C. hauler

Airspace?

I guess there's always room for yet another free flight planning web site.

Yeah :rolleyes: and you get what you pay for. The problem with this one and many others is there is no airspace depiction of any kind. The AOPA/Jeppesen "free" (you have to be a member) flight planner is much more comprehensive.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Airspace?

Airspace is shown on the sectionals, which are the easiest to navigate I've seen. The click and drag function on the sectionals is slick.
The only glitch is when you have to go from one sectional to another.

I liked it

I checked out the Navmonster.com website and used their flight planning tool. It was easy to use and had most of what I was looking for. It had many of the features of some of the pay to play programs out there and gives you enough info to get you well on your way to obtaining the info you need before your flight. I for one will start using it and have book marked it in a prominent position on my favorite list. check it out. take care.

I use the iPhone version and prefer this over the paid subscription one I have. Screen format & navigation is far superior.

Not new....

I use it every day. Even if I'm not flying. It gives you a great picture really quick with almost no overhead/aggravation. It's been around for a while now. At least a year or more ??

John

Navmonster

Not really NEW, but YES, it is a good nav site. I have friends that alerted me to it early this year in lieu of a paid nav site. After getting an IPhone, I loaded the Navmonster Mobile App and it's great, too!

It's been around for a while now. At least a year or more ??

Yup, check the date on the original post, March '08. I like Navmonster, not for complete one-stop shopping for flight planning, but in conjunction with a few other sources it works pretty well.

Does not work in Europe!

I tried putting my local airport in EDFE (Egelsbach in Germany) fly to EGSX (North Weald in England). The site did not recognise the ICAO codes.

What I like best like about NavMonster.com is the winds aloft chart. It knows the direction of flight & winds aloft; then computes head/tail-wind components. Helps me choose what altitude to fly. Of course Dan Checkoway's weathermiester goes a step further to compute best economy with a more robust formula. Just another viewpoint. -Jim

Not really NEW, but YES, it is a good nav site. I have friends that alerted me to it early this year in lieu of a paid nav site. After getting an IPhone, I loaded the Navmonster Mobile App and it's great, too!
Where did find the NavMOnster iPhone mobile app? I could not find it on the iTunes website. On the NavMonster site down in the corner it has an iPhone link, but does not take you anywhere to download the app.

Where did find the NavMOnster iPhone mobile app? I could not find it on the iTunes website. On the NavMonster site down in the corner it has an iPhone link, but does not take you anywhere to download the app.

Hmmm, I had no problem loading it to my Iphone, and it is a different app than just saving the url to a browser window, a different format and display than just saving www.navmonster.com and then trying to read all the small, tiny print. The Mobile App is large, easy to read, and easy to navigate. Try www.navmonster.com/mobile/ and see what you get!

Back