What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got a hangar!

dreed

Well Known Member
I know this isn't a huge deal for most people, but in the area I live finding any hangar, especially one at your home field, is darn near impossible.

The wait list at my local strip (Grove Field, Camas WA) is supposedly 1.5-3 years long (only 77 on the field). I lucked out and got one of the newer/nicer ones too- about $100 more a month than the older ones but I am stoked!

More motivation to get the plane done!

Congrats to both of you. I waited 7months for a hangar, only to have the airport manager deny my lease since my RV wasnt airworthy yet. I lucked out and found another (different airport) in a few days.

Congrats! I absolutely know the plight.
Way back then, we had to bypass the traditional "sit and wait" and insert a big pile of dollars that we didn't have. It was worth it.

You're IN. Enjoy it.

Thanks All-

Wings on wheels- that was my concern too, fortunately the woman I was dealing with (I told her I was a ways out) was OK with it. She wasn't there today when I went to sign the lease, and they asked for me registration. Fortunately another person there overheard her last week.

The funny thing is that I called last Wednesday just to see as I was getting closer on the build and was told I was still 10th on the list- but 2-3 of the planes are larger twins so I was really 8th or so. She called Friday and said "remember when I told you Wednesday I didn't have a hangar for you, well I have a hangar for you"

CWILKINS and RV Wannabe, oof those are horrible wait times. Not good when you can build a plane faster than getting a hangar.

I'm now #1 on my list, after 1.75 years. Hoping for one this summer; the bird's getting too big for the nest (garage).

Congrats on the milestone!

Know the feeling

Congratulations :)

My home field (KJSY) has only seven hangars. I was fortunate enough to catch wind of one coming up for sale before all the other pilots in the county. So this winter I purchased a home for my -7. One more worry off the list...

Now where am I getting the money for the engine :eek:
(one more worry added to the list)

PS: There room for a RV in there for those visiting :D

I waited 7months for a hangar, only to have the airport manager deny my lease since my RV wasnt airworthy yet.

For anyone else dealing with this, if the airport accepts money from the FAA, recent rule changes have defined building as an acceptable hanger activity. EAA can help with the details and fight.

For anyone else dealing with this, if the airport accepts money from the FAA, recent rule changes have defined building as an acceptable hanger activity. EAA can help with the details and fight.

That said, note that airplane projects slow when moved to the airport. Keep it at home, handy to everything, as long as you can. Get it as complete as possible before the move.

I did note that to the airport manager, he didnt care. I contacted the EAA. They sent and email to him, which he promptly ignored. That was the end of it. I didnt persue any farther since I found another hangar.

the shortage of hangars (i think nationwide) is a big problem that hampers GA. Federally obligated airports tend to be the larger ones where rent is most likely high .. and the non-obligated airports tend to be the smaller/privately owned airports with limited hangars.. and they're always at capacity because the rent is lower than at big airports...

Thats been my experience. About 15 years ago, I had wanted to start a build.. but since I was unable to secure a hangar, so I moved on and did other things in life.

Two years ago i dropped in on the local airport to ask if there were any hangars available. To my amazement, one was available. I took the hangar right then and there, even though I gave NO thought to what I was going to build or buy. I shoved cash into the managers hands before the stars misaligned and the following month i started a rv-12 build.

I think it was just a combination of being lucky to be at the right place at the right time.. and the manager just not wanting to be bothered with keeping a 'list'. These days, I know of at least 5 of ~50 hangars that are used for non-aviation things.. but this is a non-obligated airport.. so whatever fills the hangars is good. money is money. but there could be more space to further aviation...

Back