What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just really curious - looking for comments

RONSIM

Well Known Member
Received the -10 brake pads from Van's yesterday. Along with the packing slip was a second page that discussed how to return stuff, etc. One of the statements on this "disclaimer" page was something like "if you return anything from the RV-12 kit, it does not allow the aircraft to be certified as an E-LSA". I know the restrictions placed on owners of S-LSAs as to changes, but did not realize that kit-built "E"-LSAs had similar restrictions.

I am assuming that an RV-12 that was built with some changes from Van's-supplied kit would become an E-AB that would meet LSA qualifications?

A sport pilot can fly a plane that is qualified to meet the following requirements.

From the EAA site:

Maximum gross takeoff weight—1,320 lbs, or 1,430 lbs for seaplanes.
Maximum stall speed—51 mph (45 knots) CAS
Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh)—138 mph (120 knots) CAS
Single or two-seat aircraft only
Single, reciprocating engine (if powered), including rotary or diesel engines
Fixed or ground-adjustable propeller
Unpressurized cabin
Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider

The E-LSA must meets standards set by VANS and can not deviate per the plans. It is another question can a builder of an ELSA change after it has been registered as a ELSA.

Last edited:
There is a lot of hype about ELSA vs EAB, mostly nothing with real proof. First off, Vans makes a LOT more money if you buy into the ELSA route. For resale, what is the difference if you build it with a Moeller fuel gauge making it EAB, rather than going ELSA and THEN adding the fuel gauge? Would only matter to a dumb buyer I think. Maintenance becomes an issue I guess, but as an A&P it matters not to me.

I know the restrictions placed on owners of S-LSAs as to changes, but did not realize that kit-built "E"-LSAs had similar restrictions.

S-LSAs are built by a manufacturer (The Synergy Air built ones will be S-LSA). All the home-built RV-12s are E-LSAs. If you deviate from Van's plans, then it is an E-AB...

--Bill

There is a lot of hype about ELSA vs EAB, mostly nothing with real proof. First off, Vans makes a LOT more money if you buy into the ELSA route. For resale, what is the difference if you build it with a Moeller fuel gauge making it EAB, rather than going ELSA and THEN adding the fuel gauge? Would only matter to a dumb buyer I think. Maintenance becomes an issue I guess, but as an A&P it matters not to me.

Maintenance is not an issue. Anyone can maintain an experimental aircraft whether it be ELSA or EAB. Only the condition inspection comes into play.

With an EAB there is only one repairman certificate.

For ELSA subsequent owners can take a 16 hr course and receive the repairman certificate.

I know the restrictions placed on owners of S-LSAs as to changes, but did not realize that kit-built "E"-LSAs had similar restrictions.

The restrictions for ELSA only apply to the aircraft as it is presented for certification. After it is certificated, it is experimental and may be modified in any way so long as the modification doesn't take the aircraft outside light-sport parameters.

If you build ELSA, VANS IS THE MANUFACTURER, not you. Your name does not even go on the data plate. That did not seem right to me.
S-LSAs are built by a manufacturer (The Synergy Air built ones will be S-LSA). All the home-built RV-12s are E-LSAs. If you deviate from Van's plans, then it is an E-AB...

--Bill

If you build ELSA, VANS IS THE MANUFACTURER, not you. Your name does not even go on the data plate. That did not seem right to me.

Most people agree with you. However as the FAA is fond of saying, "We don't answer Why questions."

Back