What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELSA

skydiverlv

Well Known Member
Mel, I started my 12 build with full intentions of going SLSA and am currently on the fuselage kit. How much documentation is required get ELSA certification? The only documentation that I have is pictures of the build with only maybe two with me in them. Now log of time spent days/hrs. I only get a few hours here and there to work on the project. Now that the Viking engine is available, amongst a few other small additions, I am weighing out the pros and cons of each certification but no use if my pictures are not enough for the inspection. Thanks

I believe you are talking about E-AB. Only Vans Aircraft can build an SLSA version of the RV-12. Everyone building RV-12s that are not Van's build them as ELSA and they must conform to Van's SLSA sample. If you want to do any changes from that sample, the you must build it as an EAB, just like any other RV, and it would not be any type of LSA, so you would need a full private pilot license and up-to-date medical to fly.

--Bill

One correction

Bill:

Clarification. Even if built as an E-AB, it can still qualify as meeting light sport aircraft regulations as long as it meets all standards in terms of gross weight, airspeeds, etc. in which case it can still be flown under sport pilot rules. There are many aircraft out there that meet LSA standards but are built under E-AB rules (Zenith 650, Rans S-19, etc.) rather than as an E-LSA.

Jeff

Skydiverly,

Your post is somewhat confusing. If you build as ELSA, you will need documentation from Vans Aircraft certifying that the kit does indeed meet ELSA criteria. No builder verification is required other than to show that you followed the plans and instructions explicitly.

On the other hand if you intend to certificate the aircraft as Experimental Amateur-Built, you will need to show documentation proving that you built the major portion of the aircraft.

As others have stated, either way, the aircraft may be flown under "sport pilot" rules if there have been no modifications removing the aircraft from LSA limitations. i.e. gross weight, stall and max speeds, etc.

Bill:

Clarification. Even if built as an E-AB, it can still qualify as meeting light sport aircraft regulations as long as it meets all standards in terms of gross weight, airspeeds, etc. in which case it can still be flown under sport pilot rules. There are many aircraft out there that meet LSA standards but are built under E-AB rules (Zenith 650, Rans S-19, etc.) rather than as an E-LSA.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I did not know that!

--Bill

Back