What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air filter installation - any changes?

Build9A

Well Known Member
I started building my 9A in 2002 and have been flying it since 2005.

Back in the old days of 2002-03 the airbox and airfilter installation on a carbureted lycoming was sort of jerry rigged. You had to cut a gap in the K N airfilter so it fit tightly over the carb. I was wondering if the newer FWF plans and parts had a different approach? Are builders still required to adjust the filter to fit the carb. Or is there a new better way without having to cut up the air filter and patch the hole? thanks...

Hmmm....not sure what you mean by "notch the air filter". I didn't change a thing on the filter on my -8 when I built it (ca 2005) - I know there have been FAB improvements over the years - maybe this was one of the results?

Yeah, Paul, the 0-320 version of the airbox requires a notch cut in the filter. I don't think any of the 0-360 versions do.

I started mine this past summer but then moved on to other things when I couldn't quite get my mind around how the whole FAB goes together. Like the baffles, another place where Van's instructions are pretty lacking. FWIW, my FWF kit was purchased 2 years ago and I would describe it just like that of the original post.

Better K&N Solution

I went on-line and found a different K&N after calculating that the Vans part # is actually too small an ID to be reshaped into an oval. I posted the alternate K&N part number in a VAF post several months ago. The filter I used did not have to be carved up at all, but does have to tip outward slightly to go around the accelerator pump well on the carburetor.

This setuph as accumulated 26 hrs. to date. So far I am satisfied with the results.

LarryT

Back