What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LP4-3's

meadeduck

Well Known Member
We're attaching the cockpit and rear window and we're down to about 2 big handful's of rivets. Is that about right, or did we REALLY drill out that many rivets...?
Meade and George:confused:

Did you guys get your bonus package of another 2500 LP4-3 rivets about a month ago? Before those came in the mail, I had been worried about running short myself. Steve

Van's sells them. If I order something from vans I usually have them add a couple of hundred extra ones.

I should have put that in the original message; yup, we got the second shipment of rivets. We're still down to about 1-2 pounds, probably closer to 1 pound. Is everyone else ok????:confused:
Meade

I think that I am going to run out also. I had quite a few defective rivets and like everyone else, have drilled out a few. I think that if everyone is running out, Van's should send a few more with the finish kit.

Mine tailcone is attached with all bottom rivets/side rivets done...the window uses screws. My fuselage is complete except for the panel, map box etc. I am down to a couple pounds as well. Don't know if I have enough or not. Attaching the tailcone to the fuselage uses ALOT of them.

Pete

Don't want to get you all off topic, and It may sound insensitive, but I'm glad to hear you have to drill out some LP-4-3's... As a newbie building a -10 the LP-4-3 were used to join the two rudder skins together by riveting the stifners to a clip then the clip to the main rudder spar... I started to love the simplicity of them (after mashing a couple bad AD4's) and contemplated building a -12 just to not have to use that '**** rivet gun' again (I've gotten a bit better but still fear the gun, and love my squeezer). The pull rivets seemed so much easier... untill I got destracted and pulled one bad and ended up figureing out how to drill it out with out it rotating all over the place... that was one bad in like 30 pulled... and it was no fun getting it out!

Uh... sorry for the distraction, feel free to ignore and get back on topic...:):)

Tom

Just about enough...I think

Hi All,

I have just to attach the empennage and tail cone...it looks as though I'll have a couple hundred pcs. left. I guess I'm a lucky one...I can fly to Van's in just 15 minutes in my Ercoupe when I need something; but I've got enough LP-4's.

I'm painting my fuselage interior this weekend...am ready for the next kit!

Jay Sluiter
Albany, OR
N124CS

Back