What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone Fairings

This is actually a good thing. If you got the fairing with the tail kit like I did, you have to install and remove the empennage a couple of times. If you wait until the finish kit, the empennage will be on permanently.

Jim,

I asked Scott about that. He said he thought you could still get it on with the tail on but it would be easier if you took it off (yuck!) From what I can tell in the plans...it should be possible right? After all, it is an inspection portal anyway is it not?

Pete
wings/fuse/tail

Jim,

I asked Scott about that. He said he thought you could still get it on with the tail on but it would be easier if you took it off (yuck!) From what I can tell in the plans...it should be possible right? After all, it is an inspection portal anyway is it not?

Pete
wings/fuse/tail

It is not that hard to install with the empennage on and that way you can clearance everything just once and be done with it.

Tailcone fairing

Mine is currently on with all the washers set and so is the Vertical Stab and rudder. Are you saying that when the finish kit comes it is possible to fit and install the tailcone fairing without removing the stabilator and the rudder?

Mine's the same way...that's why I asked Scott and Jim. Sounds like it will work easier now because you do have to do some clearance settings around an installed emp. Don't forget we will be also most likely be taking them off at some point in time to paint too. Are you painting your interior yet...I am considering the 3 part PPG DCC...with a touch-up gun. Guessing on light gray...hmmmm.

Pete

Tailcone fairing

I am certainly willing to try it. The fit is perfect now and the glued washers of course are loose from the installation process. It will be nice to only have to remove and install one more time as opposed to twice.

I have been painting the interior in sections. I did under the rudder pedals before installing the panel/ instrument shelf. It would be nice to have the covers for the center tunnel while painting but I guess we will be very good at masking. I am using a light gray. I am using a base coat then a fleck coat then clear. Rattle cans. Impossible to tell where one job left off and another started.

Painting

What brand of paint are using with the fleck coat? We were thinking of doing the same thing. How's the finish look?
thanks
Meade and George

Fleck Coat

I am very happy with how it looks. It takes on a different appearance depending on the first color coat and of course how much of the fleck material you use. It doesn't take much. The clear coat smells volatile so use it in a well ventilated area. The fleck material has no odor. The paint is at the hangar and I will get the name and post it. I got it at WalMart so it is the brand they sell.

Mine is currently on with all the washers set and so is the Vertical Stab and rudder. Are you saying that when the finish kit comes it is possible to fit and install the tailcone fairing without removing the stabilator and the rudder?

Yes it is.

Back