What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transfer kit ownership?

I've just puchased an RV-7(A) empennage kit thanks to these forums. No work really done on it and it has been sitting with previous owner for nearly two years. I've already purchased the preview plans for the 7 and need to know what I need to do, if anything, at this point.

Do I:

- Need to transfer the build number or obtain a new one?

- Send Van's a bill of sale from previous owner to myself along with previous owner's bill of sale?

- Fill out and sign the license agreement that comes with the preview plans?

What if the previous owner does not have his original bill of sale? Can I give Van's a bill of sale from prev. owner and myself along with prev. owner's info?

Thanks and I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Mike Keys

Go straight to the source...

You can E-mail Van's directly and ask them what is needed.

Info<at>vansaircraft.com

Vans

Vans will want you to contact them and get the kit/build # transferred to you and get you in their system. If I remember correctly, they will want a copy of the bill of sale. Their are some items in their catalog that can only be sold to registered builders at their price, i.e. engines and maybe some props. take care and welcome to a great experience.

No Problem Mike

Mike I had the same dilemma. Bought a virgin tail kit from a overwhelmed buyer. Van's was extremely helpful and told me it happens all the time. I sent them a copy of my notarized bill of sale showing the serial number and also a standard signed agreement. They then transferred all records on that kit number to my name.
That was a few years ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed.
Only takes a phone call to some really nice people to confirm.
Good luck on a great adventure with one of the nicest groups of pilots and builders in the world..:D

Vans will want you to contact them and get the kit/build # transferred to you and get you in their system. If I remember correctly, they will want a copy of the bill of sale. Their are some items in their catalog that can only be sold to registered builders at their price, i.e. engines and maybe some props. take care and welcome to a great experience.

Just a FYI. I bought my wing kit from another builder in the area, not Van's. I was worried about being able to buy my engine/prop from them because they do state you must buy ALL the kits from them. When I was ready to buy, I explained that to them and it wasn't an issue at all.

bill of sale example?

Anyone have an example of an acceptable bill-of-sale document? I'm about to take over a partially completed tail kit. I'd like to have something printed out to take for the seller to sign.

BruceH

When I purchased my wrecked RV8, I just drew up a simple bill of sale. Something along the lines of I (insert name) on (insert day) have entered into agreement with (insert sellers name) for the purchase of Vans (enter specific model) tail kit (insert builders number/serial number. Something along those lines would work. I would also put into the purchase agreement how much you have paid for the item. The reason I started putting the price in is that I have the state government call me ask ask me how much I sold (insert plane number here) for as the new owner is claiming a much lower then market rate. The new owner didn't want to pay all the taxes on the plane, and buy putting the price in there then it takes care of this problem. And both of your sign,print names, and write dates on it.

This same agreement worked with Vans also. They didn't say a word to me and I have been able to buy all the parts I need without a problem.

I have been through the transfer of the customer/ builder number on the RV-7 empennage kit I just purchased in late March through the Classifieds here at VAF.

Send Van's:

-A request to change the customer number, XXXXX, for RV-X to:Your name, address, telephone number (day and evening), e-mail and fax number.

-A signed and dated Bill of Sale of for RV-X empennage kit Number XXXXX, showing the sellers name and address and your (buyers) name and address.

-A notarized copy of Van's Aircraft "License Agreement", and a signed copy of Van's Aircraft "Waiver and Release of Liability Agreement". Both were in the preview plans I purchased two years ago.

I also included a copy of the original invoice for the empennage kit because I had it. I don't think it is necessary, it just showed the complete paper trail of ownership.

Thats all Van's needed.

just remember it is not REALLY the bill of sale

after a TIME you will be almost complete, and finally be ready to declare you have an airplane and want to register it and get ready to fly,... THEN you tell VANs you want THE bill of sale to go get it registered,... and VANS will send you and nice clean new sheet of paper that says bill of sale,...that is what you need to convince the FAA you bought the plane,.... not all the "paperwork trail" you will have shortly,...

a little detail that took a little while to figure out

Back