What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Material

pazmanyflyer

Well Known Member
Okay maybe I'm tired...It's Friday...sleepy from lunch or the the sun was in my eyes...but I can't seem to find what Van's baffle material is made of (material and thickness). I don't have my building manual and I'm looking to buy some AL sheet here in PHX for my "other" plane to redo the left baffle.

Have to keep the Pazmany flying until I'm done with the -7. :D

Pazmanyflyer.

Just looked at mine as that is what I am currently working on. Everything looks to be 0.032 2024 alum sheet except for the two aft left corner sections which are where the plans specify locating the oil cooler. These two sections are aluminum but are a different material and all I can say about them is they don't have Alclad and for some reason they seem a little tougher to trim with an abrasive cut off wheel. (My baffles are the older non pre punched version of the baffle kit as I got them some time ago.)

The pieces that come in the kit have some pretty intricate sheet metal shaping and fabrication particularly where they wrap around the cylinders. It would be interesting to know if Vans fabs them or buys them from some other company.

James

Which Aluminum?

When building engine baffles is there a superior aluminum choice over another? 2024-T3 is very popular overall but is it the best choice for engine baffles?

I'm mainly concerned with crack resistance, which seems to be the most problematic aspect of baffle durability.

George

The copper content of 2024 raises its yield strength to 50000 psi vs 40000 for 6061.
Alclad does not require paint. 6061 does, unless you wish to rely on Lycoming oil spray for corrosion protection.

... unless you wish to rely on Lycoming oil spray for corrosion protection.
I know you are kidding (kind of) but unfortunately, even a leaking nose seal will not get much oil on the baffles.

I didn't paint my 2024 baffles, so I give them a wipe down with ACF-50 when I have the cowl off. Going to try XCP next time - it's supposed to last longer, and not be oily.

6061T6

Six years with 6061 baffles untreated. No corrosion issues. Pitts uses 6061 almost exclusively. I painted my fuselage sheet metal on both sides but not the
cowl. My Pitts lived near the ocean for several years. No corrosion. My experience is that the 6061 is BETTER for corrosion resistance on bare metal than 2024.
Curtis Pitts obviously believed the 6061 was a better choice for most of the sheet metal parts including the certified airplanes.

Back