What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing finished wings/ailerons/flaps?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm almost there. Hopefully setting the initial rigging this week, and then some final wiring for lights, etc. and the wings are done.

Question: After I've mounted the control surfaces to check on alignment, are they safer remaining installed on top of the wings in their nose-down storage cradle, or should they go back to their storage shelves alone until final assembly

I can’t say if it is safer or not, but that is the way I have stored flaps and ailerons on my RV projects - just left them mounted, with the pushrod attached to the (locked) bellcrank. Has worked out fine for me.

As Paul did, I stored mine with the ailerons attached, taped to the wing and the pushrod blocked with clamps.

I've stored mine the same way, but instead of using clamps to lock the ailerons I made up jig pieces with similar function to Van's W-730 jig. They are 0.032" scrap, with flanges bent on all sides for stiffness, cut out where necessary to clear other components.

However, instead of attaching the jig to the pushrod bolt as in the W-730 jig, I clecoed it to the plate nut rivet holes on the lower arm of the WD-421 bellcrank (I think these are for roll autopilot attachment?). This allowed me to rig the ailerons and final torque the pushrod ends and all bolts on the bellcrank, and makes it easy to unlock/relock the ailerons whenever required.

Attachments

• wings_2021-06-17_01.png
    wings_2021-06-17_01.png
    474.3 KB · Views: 112
Storage

Mine are installed. Jig removed. I fabricated an alignment jig for rigging and wingtips with a "V" block to lock the aileron to the tip. I just slip it in place. Flap is held with a two piece nylon clip. Drape a tarp over and put something in holes to keep varmints out.

Back