What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Installation with Magnetometer in Tip

YvesCH

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

I am about to install my wingtips but I am not yet sure how to attach them to the wings as I have a GMU-11 magnetometer mounted. The manual requires quite a lot of distance to magnetic materials in close proximity. Now I am afraid about the fastener..

If I would go the piano-hinge route there would be the pin which would be magnetic. With the screws there are the nutplates..

Hod did you guys mount your wingtips ?

eil15c.png

The piano hinge pin is stainless material. I have installed a GMU 11 in a Cessna wing, outboard rib, and the wing tip was attached with SS screws and Tinnerman fasteners. No issues.

FYI, I had the magnetometer mounted in that same location in my Rocket and it turned out to be a bad location. The leading edge weight in the Aileron was magnetic and would cause a 2 deg swing as the Aileron moved up and down.

Wingtip

I just recently moved my GMU 44 to the wingtip because of interference in the tailcone. I have the tips fastened using hinges and the pins are slightly magnetic, but I didn't have any calibration issues with it.

FYI, I had the magnetometer mounted in that same location in my Rocket and it turned out to be a bad location. The leading edge weight in the Aileron was magnetic and would cause a 2 deg swing as the Aileron moved up and down.

Ok thanks, I was not sure what would be worse, the lights or the aileron counterweight. I used all shielded and drilled wires but still mounted the Magnetometer in approx. the middle between the lights and counterweight..

The piano hinge pin is stainless material. I have installed a GMU 11 in a Cessna wing, outboard rib, and the wing tip was attached with SS screws and Tinnerman fasteners. No issues.

Thanks, the screws and tinnerman washers are SS but the nutplates are the ones which concerns me. Did the Cessna have magnetig aileron counterweights?

GMU-11 Mount

Just finished a GMU-11 mount in the left wing of my RV-7. Mounted to the rib straddling the end of the spar. Wingtip is held on by 4-40 stainless screws into non-stainless nutplates on the wingtip. The G5 interference test showed the aileron counterweight and the landing/taxi light wires were the largest disruptors - but both were well within limts (<25%). The GMU-11 calibrated and worked just fine.

I have my GMU 11 in exact same place in a RV14 and have zero issue. The mag calibration testing went without any issues and so far have not has any issues with heading or otherwise.

Back