What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antennas and locations

kaber56

Hi all,
For those of you who are flying, what kind and where did you mount all your antennas? Vans has yet to put out section 52- antenna installations. I know the comm antennas are located on the bottom fuselage but how about all the others- GPS, VOR/GS/LOC, MB, TRANS/ADSB etc.? Help and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Transponder holes are under baggage floor , co-pilot side slightly, ADSB holes are way back under the tail. I installed my GPS puck behind the rear window, off to the side of center to clear the underlying structure.

Thanks Ron,

Is your ADSB antenna a blade or post? Can you send some pics? What brand of antenna are you using?

Antennas

Transponder holes are under baggage floor , co-pilot side slightly, ADSB holes are way back under the tail. I installed my GPS puck behind the rear window, off to the side of center to clear the underlying structure.

I did the same as Ron. I used the blades from Delta Pop and the comms from Van's. I originally purchased two other comm antennas, but the holes didn't line up with what Van's had in the bottom skin (They came with 4 holes to attach instead of two). People have said the sticks work just as well as the blades, but I was afraid I might bump it and break it off and I like the look of the blade better. I have the GPS antenna same as Ron on the pilot side off center and two more on the glare shield, one for the G3X and one for my backup GRT Mini. I do have some pics on my website if you want to look at that, but your really just have the two blades or sticks to add and those holes are already there for you. I don't have VOR, just using GPS.

Home brew wingtip VOR/ILS antenna.
MB antenna is a 37" piece of wire connected to a firewall BNC connector and strung under the engine using some standoffs on the engine mount.

Both work well.

Carl

Antennas

If you have no other plans today, search "antenna musings" in the forums and you will receive a lengthy reading assignment. And a lot of good input :)

I'm mulling over all the options as well...just not that far along yet.

Back