What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

McFarlane VA Throttle?

622BH

Well Known Member
I have a YIO-320-D1A with FlyEFII Throttle Body. I ordered a McFarlane Vernier-Assist Throttle Cable and in my order I expressed concerns about where their support threads were in relationship to the stock Van's throttle cables. "Oh no problem, I'm very familiar with Van's RV-9 cables." RIGHT!
The cable I received has the threaded area about 2 to 2.5 inches aft of where Van's cable's threads are located. Thus, the stock Support Plate that mounts between the sump and throttle body needs to be modified to have an extension further aft to permit use of the McFarlane cable.
Has anyone run into this problem, and if so what did you do to remedy the situation?

McFarlane +

Not sure about your issue, but I ordered each of mine with special lengths. I recall that they have an order form that specifies dimensions for both ends and the type of attachment. Very detailed. I made supports, brackets & routing so they work. Totally satisfied with the end result.

Form Filled and Submitted

Yeah, I filled out their special order form, with all the measurements taken from the stock throttle cable, and a photo of it showing the position of the mounting threads; additionally in the email submitting the form I expressed my concern stating the threads were within the measurements of their "C" & "D" area.
Which is why I sent the photo along with the order...
There was no response to my expressed concern and the end result is a cable that mandates modification to the mount - IF I wish to use a very expensive investment.

What I'm hoping to gain here is someone's advice / experience (with photos) of how they overcame the problem. I'm sure I'm not the only RV builder that's experienced this.

Needless to say, I'm not in a mindset to recommend them to anyone anytime soon...

Have you contacted them post-sale to report that the cable didn't come in to your specification?

That's the issue

The cable is the length specified. The measurements "C & D" are to spec. Its where the mounting threads are located. And I'm pretty sure they will push back to the fact the cable was manufactured to the measurements I submitted.
Before I contact them, I want to hear from others who have ordered the VA cable. What measurements they used to insure the threads were in the same area as a stock cable - which would modify the "C & D" measurements.
OR
How they modified the mounting bracket to accommodate the cable. I have an idea but would like to see what's been done.

I don't want to second guess your throttle problem via an email.
In my experience, McFarlane is always eager to make it right with the customer. They do have tremendous experience working with the VANs line of aircraft.
I'm not quite sure where your problem originated but I recommend calling their tech support and telling him what you got and what you need. I think you'll find them eager to help.

Back