What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (12/12/2020-12/13/2020)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...gettin' her started.

Extra paper routes Sat and Sun for me, but Sun was rainy anyway. Sat pic 1000 Sunday local...

v/r,dr

Attachments

• TXClouds.jpg
    TXClouds.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Flying with dad

Got to take my dad flying for only the second time since I finished the plane in 2016. Had beautiful weather to fly down the beaches from Clearwater to St Pete for a touch and go at SPG. Dad isn’t a pilot but got to experience a few carrier landings in his Navy days so RWY 36 at SPG wasn’t as intimidating to him as it was to me when I learned to fly there back in the day.

Also, it was the first flight with my new GoPro Max 360 degree camera. I mounted it in the cockpit but would eventually like to devise a system like others have to extend it out from the wing for that “impossible” camera angle. The editing process definitely takes some getting used to since you have infinite views to work with for every shot, but I can see how you can get some awesome footage with it.

https://youtu.be/9PLHQkJvFU8

No flying for a few weeks

Was going to go for a last flight yesterday before panel upgrade time - but the weather wasn't great. So time to start the upgrade. Finished my wiring harnesses for an audio panel and MGL V16/N16/Razor yesterday. Went out to the airport last night with some help and removed the canopy. Today's work involved removing all of my electronics from the panel. I'll be making an insert that will sit in the middle of panel where I will mount the Razor control head, whiskey compass, Garmin GPS175, PMA8000B audio panel and GTR200. The drawing is close to how it will look, radio stack will probably shift right by a 1/2 inch or so to give me a little more space for a mounting bracket.

I also started on my access panel installation, drilled the rivet holes and marked the cutouts.

I also have a couple of antennas to install and the conversion from keyed ignition to mag switches and start button. I'm off work for a week, so hopefully I can get it buttoned back up for some flying by Christmas or New Years Day. The GPS175 isn't going to be here in time, so I'll just get everything ready that I can beforehand. Can't build out the harnesses for it since I'm also waiting for the ARINC module. I can install the mounting bracket though, I have the installation manual.

If all goes well I can start working on my Instrument Rating in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_171422.jpg
    IMG_20201212_171422.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG-1247.jpg
    IMG-1247.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 305
  • panel plan.png
    panel plan.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 321
Weather was barely VMC on Sunday morning with low hanging clouds, after rain and snow showers during the night, when suddenly our little "pleasure flight whatsapp chat" started to disturb me doing glasfiber work on our RV14A in the workshop... that's all I needed for an excuse to let everything be as it was, securing the passenger seat in the first flying RV14 in Switzerland and driving to the airport after a short shower to get the dust off. In the end we were a few RV7's and the 14 flying to the french part of Switzerland to meet another 7 pilot and 14 builder who made a short flight to warm up his oil before the annual.

DSC03752 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

DSC03764 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

DSC03778 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
The capital of Switzerland (Berne) and its Parliament Building, just on the left end of the old town.

DSC03815 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
After take off in Lausanne, LSGL, over Lake of Geneva

DSC03824 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
Lake of Geneva with Lausanne and Montreux in the back

DSC03830 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
Meeting Bernie on the way home over lake of Neuchatel

DSC03841 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
Dominiks beautiful RV7A

DSC03844 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
Bernie and his daughter Emily

IMG_0177 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr
Direct comparison RV7 and RV14 :)

Got my hands on an 8

I went to visit Bruce Bohannon for tailwheel and transition training.
Much was learned, I'm sure much will be forgotten so a second visit is on the cards.
Excellent training - more detailed review in the "Reviews" sub-forum.
Thanks Bruce!

Pilots and Paws

Stuffed the -10 with as many puppies as I could...
Came out to 16 to be exact.

Attachments

• 213E230E-CCDA-4BFC-ABEC-ABEB3BA416E6.jpg
    213E230E-CCDA-4BFC-ABEC-ABEB3BA416E6.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 421
Canopy Install

Bruce:

Between Bruce Swayze and Bruce Hill, I had lots of great information, examples, tips, and answers to my many questions when I was making the decision to use SikaFlex.

Thanks very much, gents, for sharing your photos and narrative.

Attachments

• 20201214 Canopy Sika aft.JPG
    20201214 Canopy Sika aft.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 298
Bruce:

Between Bruce Swayze and Bruce Hill, I had lots of great information, examples, tips, and answers to my many questions when I was making the decision to use SikaFlex.

Thanks very much, gents, for sharing your photos and narrative.
Ron, glad to help!

Orlando KORL to Los Angeles KWHP

Decided to load up the wife and kids in the trusty RV-10 and head to grandma's house. Endured dust in west Texas (to approx 9,000 feet), 50 knot headwind, and 6 hours of actual IMC. We planned on flying the "northern" route but low level freezing layer and lots of weather caused us to re-route to the "southern" route.

ACtC-3etpvDruwjgyMoJYiFqylF-ZpE3gLnOagVp3LOpJv-BIhof5QZ0PkEaDunGCw3KB56S5VgrAZby4E_oAVfT3XqZdMVnnHZ_tK49S55os5ZakYgZkpN07efsGFsyDdt4ZnDQ-N43bkMgbjgvdp0_noGQWw=w713-h600-no

Good thing we had a few knots to spare in the -10.

ACtC-3c_wGnCcM5T79QggrvlabAkwNRM4j7zOZ50AmKR6ubBtAnt0tbElUo-s93o6-L_f18xcy4bsfU7WnYPZKH5DTROZQjYgAerO5Z_J72uMc4_Qm-EV5wJ9ytJqTXQNZZlnpAzTMJ0kjGXt-CxPczY9kqMUg=w713-h600-no

Slight cross wind at 27R.

ACtC-3eVWtWu_mmonPSg-5PM-YvsdPLRQxMXMPjGysRlu0DOVKxatx8FJFxRP68P5vZftRm9bN9g6yJIWhwxCu6Law-wGMOR0w160YzREx93zzMGkaIgZFZI5TIT5xGJcRlZ38v8PSUmFfZZOzyFgxxp_8OoLg=w600-h1098-no

Nasty dust in West Texas.

ACtC-3fQSpDxCHKCwXgt_QbFRK6YZRpUmaSf_Xc3069kDXFikatyvzMRRpDBM8ShOyOlprPKngE1CMEg-_GEqQeBBCPDT-_FUxNV2Jn_Q6c2uIwyJE3Si4AFaSLyTcRQl0s-wxSfSeGQNeWJ4ultztOaBhcPYA=w713-h600-no

Final to runway 12 at Whiteman KWHP

Back