What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 GPS input on G5

eld

Hello Steve,

I have connect GNS430 to G5, but for backup, I want connect AERA660.
Do you know if it's possible to add rs232 input for GPS2 on G5/RS232 ?

On old G5 firmware we have see 2 new rs232 ports input (pin 1 and 2) on GMC 507, but not now (v6.20)

We have other free rs232 port on
- GMU 11
- GSA 28

Thanks
Eric

Last edited:
I've been looking at G5's so was wondering about a similar setup.

I thought the same thing.

Then one time I came up with a search term that led me to a different wiring diagram that looked like it was an 'OR'

So I can't proof it until I figure out how I searched to find the other wiring diagram.........

When I begin with G5, have not GAD29, and I can't see some information like Ils/Vor nav on G5, HDG, TAS, OAT from G5 on 430.

Rs232 is only input from 430, ARINC 429 is bidirectional link (EFIS/Airdata/Nav)
and I think we have not all labels on ARINC 429 to have the same information like we receivie via mapx/aviation(rs232)
I must check what we have on aviation and what we have on ARINC.

Eric

Last edited:
Hello Steve,

I have connect GNS430 to G5, but for backup, I want connect AERA660.
Do you know if it's possible to add rs232 input for GPS2 on G5/RS232 ?

On old G5 firmware we have see 2 new rs232 ports input (pin 1 and 2) on GMC 507, but not now (v6.20)

We have other free rs232 port on
- GMU 11
- GSA 28

Thanks
Eric
Hello Eric,

Page 7-12 of the Rev. 5 G5 Installation Manual shows how to install a dual navigator installation with an Aera 660 as GPS #1 connected to the G5 and a GTN as GPS/NAV #2 using just the GAD 29 connections.

You may do the same thing with an Aera 660 and a GNS 430.

The G5 will need a GPS antenna.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Eric,

Page 7-12 of the Rev. 5 G5 Installation Manual shows how to install a dual navigator installation with an Aera 660 as GPS #1 connected to the G5 and a GTN as GPS/NAV #2 using just the GAD 29 connections.

Ok thanks Steve,
I will try this setting.

>The G5 will need a GPS antenna
G5 not work the same if they have external antena or not ?

Thanks
Eric

Last edited:
Ok thanks Steve,
I will try this setting.

>The G5 will need a GPS antenna
G5 not work the same if they have external antena or not ?

Thanks
Eric
Hello Eric,

The G5 has a built-in GPS receiver/antenna. The internal GPS antenna may or may not work well enough in your installation.

The point being made above is that neither the Aera 660 or the non-WAAS GNS 430 provide GPS data to the G5 that can be used by the G5 for AHRS sensor drift correction (aiding), so it will need to use its own internal WAAS GPS receiver for this function.

The G5 also uses air data for AHRS drift correction when necessary, but it is not as accurate as GPS aiding.

Thanks,
Steve

OK, thanks Steve,

I have an external antenna, it was for my culture and that of other readers.

Thanks
Eric

Hello Eric,

The G5 has a built-in GPS receiver/antenna. The internal GPS antenna may or may not work well enough in your installation.

The point being made above is that neither the Aera 660 or the non-WAAS GNS 430 provide GPS data to the G5 that can be used by the G5 for AHRS sensor drift correction (aiding), so it will need to use its own internal WAAS GPS receiver for this function.

The G5 also uses air data for AHRS drift correction when necessary, but it is not as accurate as GPS aiding.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Interesting. I'm working with a gentleman doing an owner-assist dual G5 install in a Mooney M20C. The 430 is non-waas. So are you saying that it may be necessary to install antenna for one of the G5's when using non-waas receivers tied to the G5's? How does one know the internal antennas in the G5's are inadequate?

Hello Eric,

Thanks,
Steve

It was my understanding that the 430 required an rs-232 connection to provide position data. I also didn’t think the 29 had a serial port to receive this data. Did i have this wrong?

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Interesting. I'm working with a gentleman doing an owner-assist dual G5 install in a Mooney M20C. The 430 is non-waas. So are you saying that it may be necessary to install antenna for one of the G5's when using non-waas receivers tied to the G5's? How does one know the internal antennas in the G5's are inadequate?
Hello Bob,

Section 5 of the G5 STC Installation manual identifies the GPS sources that may be used as GPS data for the G5, and the GNS 4XX/5XX non-WAAS units are not in the list since they do not provide MapMX data.

Certified installations are allowed to use the G5 internal GPS receiver, but not the internal antenna since the performance of that antenna is marginal in many installations.

You can tell if the internal or external antenna being used is sufficient for attitude aiding by the presence of a green check mark on the GPS page.

xZonUm0m7CoLo5olszid34udxxmjtIW8f7vFmsdeM7k9UQkEvbZYhn0WYHM1Rs_Mm71XeIqqAXlWZGCdiMIohX866SLshc7TjpdoMTGFWR7bI-2ev6dH__hSrH96gQNVF2KOpkHYE_Zq6tM3rQL5OjcAcbARtSFUnS7NM_3SJ98DBIAnVPQhm0hYfYgKeOILpjBqdUw7fsc5sJE-qSV3hMfoKDmpsTz9U8zXd3cnjHz2EjdWaDOnJ9Xo23GYmObkKOPEwpQDTaxYjIdjmF_pl7QL7dCA2eAX2qmLKWgmeTYKIsC__RRk-F82jt-yrrB6zwTQ1erHE-jE31a6EwiN_gNEjUKWVA4ZHo9tn8HqRZcp6ZvRU_QBd95tkfbLDInjv47Nwb1hb8RW6srNNHvizx4MqmdqoML2Mld8TUq7vqYXdN4z6tf51e4fWEpm30J2s0BwPgQBY-wa5gA7yQSgZDBfYbFvoM3hd8PNdYTTuXYF0tEMC1WYcpAfS5hHA6u4BCZiNW4jk3oiZdKybJS2WwWc5qiV03pdd0z72gWC8XfVZfyu98cdTVF0Xeoe_HY5AIADf71miVulqmP-G66spUGJxfW7OQKVWzWJS6stQ6bV_JoldTTEdSnVaVcV2o8EgdGvys4i7FueWbbpY-OZRT4vZKp2YXUXFpYBdk5ooJFcYmFJX8RXcg=w320-h240-no

Thanks,
Steve

Let's see if I understand...........

MY UNDERSTANDING (correct?)

First link to current G5 experimental manual:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02072-01_05.pdf

The G5 gets GPS data from an internal, external antenna or waas navigator.

(I can't find anything about AHRS sensor drift correction (aiding)) in experimental manual)...

Assuming sensor drift correction, G5 needs internal,external antenna or waas navigator.

G5 GPS is waas.

Case AERA rs232:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna, nav data from AERA rs232

Case GNS430 rs232:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna, nav data from GNS430 rs232

Case GNS430W rs232:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna or GNS430W rs232, nav data from GNS430W rs232

Case GNS430 gad29:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna, nav data from GNS430 gad29.

Don't see point of rs232 connection if using gad29

Case GNS430W gad29:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna or GPS430W rs232, nav data from GNS430W gad29.

Unless connection to GNS is shared thru gad29, don't see point of gad29 if you only have one unit.

Let's see if I understand...........

MY UNDERSTANDING (correct?)

First link to current G5 experimental manual:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02072-01_05.pdf

The G5 gets GPS data from an internal, external antenna or waas navigator.

(I can't find anything about AHRS sensor drift correction (aiding)) in experimental manual)...

Assuming sensor drift correction, G5 needs internal,external antenna or waas navigator.

G5 GPS is waas.

Case AERA rs232:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna, nav data from AERA rs232

Case GNS430 rs232:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna, nav data from GNS430 rs232

Case GNS430W rs232:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna or GNS430W rs232, nav data from GNS430W rs232

Case GNS430 gad29:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna, nav data from GNS430 gad29.

Don't see point of rs232 connection if using gad29

Case GNS430W gad29:

G5 gets GPS drift connection from internal or external antenna or GPS430W rs232, nav data from GNS430W gad29.

Unless connection to GNS is shared thru gad29, don't see point of gad29 if you only have one unit.

I believe the 430W only sends complete nav data on the ARINC connection, but that is missing position data. The 232 connection provides position data and some other duplicate things, but not complete nav data.

Larry

I know one of the options in the G5 manual is a SL30 on the rs232 and GNS430 on the GAD29........................

If this case is it relying on itself for position data (can't get it from rs232)?

Is this still considered a valid IFR setup?

I know one of the options in the G5 manual is a SL30 on the rs232 and GNS430 on the GAD29........................

If this case is it relying on itself for position data (can't get it from rs232)?

Is this still considered a valid IFR setup?
Hello Ed,

Yes, of course. The very best installation is one which enables and uses the G5 internal high performance WAAS GPS receiver so it is totally independent and does not rely on a functional GPS external navigator to aid the attitude sensors and operate at its highest performance level.

I have an external antenna on my battery backed G5 and the internal GPS receiver enabled even though it is getting MapMX GPS data from a GNX 375 because I don't want the G5 backup instrument relying on anything else in case I have to start load shedding big boxes in a power emergency.

I know the G5 can operate without any GPS data (using air data for aiding) when it has to because I have spent many hours flying TSO-C201 (DO-334) degraded performance flight maneuvers with the G5 operating with both the internal GPS receiver and external GPS data sources disabled.

Thanks,
Steve

Only 1 GPS shows up

I have the Aera 660 connected to the RS-232 input of the G5. My 300XL is connected to the GAD29. I want to be able to select which GPS drives the G5, but it always shows the 300XL. If I disconnect the GAD29 then the G5 uses the Aera 660. I feel like I am missing a software setting somewhere to allow selection between the GPS units.

I have the Aera 660 connected to the RS-232 input of the G5. My 300XL is connected to the GAD29. I want to be able to select which GPS drives the G5, but it always shows the 300XL. If I disconnect the GAD29 then the G5 uses the Aera 660. I feel like I am missing a software setting somewhere to allow selection between the GPS units.

Hello,

In this installation the Aera 660 is GPS1 and the 300XL is GPS2. Make sure that the A429 input on the GAD 29 (controlled through the G5) is configured for Garmin GPS (SDI 2).

When properly configured, there will be a GPS1/GPS2 navigation source selection on the G5 like shown here.

ACtC-3ekDAKGn5yRRPi-5TRhDcCfDXXcfI_QBzG2UpVXxy6uBe0alfuiQhZAKFCaiBwxo3AwWBwkPjWFLX7rmIOKe59ZQv_n_Ib2rETb97zYGylG0fwfL6BzJ1PfZ4_vugC1qcdTA10u1JGesDmbKzG8jX4Z=w500

Steve

G5 with AERA 660 and SL30

Does anyone know if you can hook up a single g5 (without a gad 29) where an external switch changes inputs from the AERA or SL30 to the rs232 connection on the G5? The output for the aera is listed as "NEMA" and the SL30 is "VHF Garmin radio".....All I want is the lateral and vertical NAV deviation signals on the G5. The single g5 will be only used as an attitude indicator. The SL30 can select the OBS on the radio so I only want the purple triangles to show deviations but don't need the full HSI.... I'm fairly certain the baud rate is 9600 for both?

Does anyone know if you can hook up a single g5 (without a gad 29) where an external switch changes inputs from the AERA or SL30 to the rs232 connection on the G5? The output for the aera is listed as "NEMA" and the SL30 is "VHF Garmin radio".....All I want is the lateral and vertical NAV deviation signals on the G5. The single g5 will be only used as an attitude indicator. The SL30 can select the OBS on the radio so I only want the purple triangles to show deviations but don't need the full HSI.... I'm fairly certain the baud rate is 9600 for both?

can't answer all of this, but do know that the G5 can only get horizontal guidance from an RS-232 source. The vertical can only be received on an ARINC source (i.e. via the 29), as none of the 232 based protocols have that data.

This switch wouldn't work the way you want it to. Each time you changed the switch from one navigation source to the other you would have to re-enter configuration mode on the G5 and re-configure the RS-232 interface to either "NMEA" (Aera 660/760/79X) or "Garmin VHF Nav Radio" (SL30) depending on which navigator was selected via the switch.

lr72 said:
can't answer all of this, but do know that the G5 can only get horizontal guidance from an RS-232 source. The vertical can only be received on an ARINC source (i.e. via the 29), as none of the 232 based protocols have that data.
This is incorrect. The G5, G3X, and G3X Touch will all support both lateral and vertical navigation guidance from an SL30 connected only via RS-232.

Steve

This is incorrect. The G5, G3X, and G3X Touch will all support both lateral and vertical navigation guidance from an SL30 connected only via RS-232.

Steve

My apologies. My head went straight to GPS guidance. Should have paid better attention.

Back