What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which side is the mfg head of rivet?

challinan

I am occasionally uncertain which direction to put in a rivet. Sometimes it is called out (especially for flush rivets where it's usually obvious) but sometimes it is less obvious. Please refer to RV-14A plans page 07-05, rudder section where you assemble the reinforcement plates and bottom rib to the spar. It specifies AN470 rivets in Figure 2, but leaves the builder guessing which side gets the manufactured head.

Is it convention that the manufactured head goes on the side of the rivet callout in the plans, as in Figure 2 of that page, or is it builders choice if not specified?

TIA for any advice!

-Chris
--

The convention, when there is not a clearance issue, is to out the manufactured head on the side of the thinner material and the shop head on the thicker material. Obviously, with flush rivets there is only one way to put it. With universal heads some will put it so the mfg head is visible and the shop head is hidden. Again, mfg head on thinner material when possible.

The convention, when there is not a clearance issue, is to out the manufactured head on the side of the thinner material and the shop head on the thicker material. Obviously, with flush rivets there is only one way to put it. With universal heads some will put it so the mfg head is visible and the shop head is hidden. Again, mfg head on thinner material when possible.

Shiop head on the side of the thicker material is to provide more resistance to the swelling rivet shank. When airstream is not a problem and sheets equal in thickness I think most opt for the best convenience, i.e., room for gun and bucking bar.

Back