What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Port/ Pitot routing

joew

Well Known Member
Gang, several questions. Pictures would be great.

Years ago, a person on this site sold flush static ports. I bought a set and installed them. I remember seeing something about them not working too well because they were flush. Is this true? I’d like to replace it before I get too far.

My other question is pitot and AOA routing from wing to behind the panel. I’m running out of room hole wise and would like to see what others have done.

Any help is appreciated

Joe

Routing

I ran my pitot AoA and static lines under the top longeron on the left side. Right next to my G5 is my AHARDS on my panel left side. From the wing they are routed into the fuselage and back to the bulkhead behind the seat back and up to longeron.

Attachments

• 55CA7761-7E1E-459B-B4D4-E9055C85A044.jpg
    55CA7761-7E1E-459B-B4D4-E9055C85A044.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 57
  • C938A674-2EAB-447A-941A-F737C8CA7132.jpg
    C938A674-2EAB-447A-941A-F737C8CA7132.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Gang, several questions. Pictures would be great.

Years ago, a person on this site sold flush static ports. I bought a set and installed them. I remember seeing something about them not working too well because they were flush. Is this true? I’d like to replace it before I get too far.

My other question is pitot and AOA routing from wing to behind the panel. I’m running out of room hole wise and would like to see what others have done.

Any help is appreciated

Joe
Yes, lots of posts about the static ports. To work properly the static ports must be located per Vans plans and must have the profile of the Vans provided rivet. It doesn't mean you have to use the rivet, but it must have the profile of the rivet. Static ports flush with the skin will not work properly. I made my own because I wanted to use 1/8" NPT fittings on the inside but was careful to duplicate the rivet profile outboard of the skin.

Pictures

Those pictures helped- didn’t even think about them there. Perfect idea and accessible

Longerons...

I ran the static line along and under the left longeron. I made small clips out of .016" material to hold the tubing in place.

I ran the Pitot & AoA lines from aft of the wing spar carry through, into the space between each webs, then over the wing spar end and up under the F-704-K channel cap.

From there, they join the static line and run forward under the F-721A-L canopy deck and forward, looping back through the F-768B-L outboard sub-panel and then into the ADHARS on the back of the G3X.

There are no unions, t's, or other splices in the static, AoA, Pitot lines except for a Y in the aft fuselage for the static "hoop", and the fittings for the Pitot/AoA mast.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Back