What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avidyne/Garmin Proprietary Issues?

Not sure what you are referring to regarding proprietary issues between Garmin and Avidyne.
Could you expand on that question a bit?

Glitch or connective issues..

Not sure what you are referring to regarding proprietary issues between Garmin and Avidyne.
Could you expand on that question a bit?

Hi Skid,

I want to know if anyone has had connectivity, otherwise any glitches specifically between Avidyne Nav and Garmin EFIS.

To use the word “proprietary” might imply intent.

I have an IFD540 and am in the process of choosing a PFD for a panel project.

Only Garmin issue I have with my IFD440 is that my GMA340 audio panel won't support the monitor standby frequency feature. Otherwise it works great with my "avionics suite" which is Advanced Flight EFISs, Dynon ADAHRS/network, Garmin G5 and transponder, uAvionics ADSB, and TruTrak a/p with Advanced Flight ARINC429.

Last edited:
Hi Skid,

I want to know if anyone has had connectivity, otherwise any glitches specifically between Avidyne Nav and Garmin EFIS.

To use the word “proprietary” might imply intent.

I have an IFD540 and am in the process of choosing a PFD for a panel project.

I can’t speak to the connection of the Avidyne to a Garmin EFIS. I have an Avidyne IFD440 connected to a GRT EFIS via an ARINC unit and a GMA340 audio panel and have no issues.

I’ve got an IFD 440 in a tray originally wired for a GNS 430W feeding a two-screen G3X Touch system in our RV-3, and haven’t found any incompatibilities or “gotchas”. AS mentioned by someone above, you can’t use the standby frequency audio in the Avidyne without their proprietary audio panel (which we don’t have), but we have a Comm 2 radio anyway.

Paul

I would talk with Rob Hickman. He has both a GTN650 and the Avidyne in his RV-10. I know AFS is working on implementing some features of the Avidyne that they can’t do with the GTN series.

I think you’ll find all the basic features will work just fine with flight plan data being passed via Arinc and lat/Lon being passed via RS-232.

I've installed a bunch of Avidynes into trays that were wired for Garmin boxes with no problems.

Vic

Back